Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

Here's my "Night Ops Phantom." One of the reasons I got the quad was so I could patrol my property without putting myself into harms way. I would have liked to fit it with a microbolometer, but that was out of my budget so I am using a Sony starlight CCD (.0003 lux sensitivity) with a fisheye lens and dual IR illuminators. Don't need the illuminators if the moon is out, but they are nice when flying near buildings.

Attachments

• NOP.jpg
    NOP.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 2,338
Would definitely like to see some night video of this. Where did you get the ir illuminators?

Audaciter said:
Here's my "Night Ops Phantom." One of the reasons I got the quad was so I could patrol my property without putting myself into harms way.

Where do you live that you need to take such precautions ?
Audaciter - I just PM'd you. Didn't want to steer this this thread into the weeds. :cool:

Capt gump you rock that looks great I wanna do that to mine , is it something you did or did you purchase it anyways great job

CaptGump said:
Here's one I'm working on now. Put some digital urban camo on a new shell.
Man I just realized you are from Chicago, is the new law making you go camo?
Wicked skin, by the way.

my tricked out phantom :p

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 1,780
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,736
Hey Guys.
I did a vinyl wrap on the top half. Took a little bit of time but got it done. I'll probably paint the bottom half and landing gear a matte light grey.
I've got some digital artic camo to try too. I just need to by another shell.
Gump

Sac D said:
Audaciter said:
topkart66, Sac-D said he tried using the S-bus briefly, but was unable to get it to work, so he went
with the standard connections.

It does work fine with the OrangeRX T-SIX.
Sbus works perfectly, If you enable the correct controller type in the assistant software. I made the same mistake with the Turnigy 9XR, then gave up. until I saw a youtube video that showed me how much of a noob I am.

I have made a couple more mods to my phantom, Installed some tiger motors MT 2216 kv900 and carbon fiber props. The motors are nice but props are no good, they are good quality and well balanced but the profile is no good much narrower tips then the DJI slow fly props and so it has much less lift then the stock props. Back to the drawing board and modding the stock props to use them with the new motors but I will try out some other props after learning from this mistake.

Main reason for the motors was one of mine got a bit of damage from a crash a while back and so I ended up upgrading rather then sticking with the stock props. The carbon props are ok to fly but reduced lift is an issue causing shorter run times then using stock props by a couple minutes and it struggles when fully loaded much more then the stock props so these were a bit of a mistake and wont be getting much use. :cry:

Here are pics of these and a pic of the screen in use, this also has some issues in bright light so I have ordered a better sun shade that should hopefully fix this and make it much more useable in daylight as that's when I will be flying. Its fine in not so bright light so the full sun shade should fix this.

All other mods are DJI avl58 FPV RX TX and antenna package, I use the Snaker River Prototyping 52mm naked filter adapter to use ND filters or simply protect the lens when a filter isnt really needed in the gopro frame mount.

Im using this mount here http://www.helipal.com/fpv-monitor-moun ... itter.html works pretty well and a handy way to set your monitor. Its quite adjustable and can be setup in a few different ways but weather hasnt been great here lately so I havent done heaps of flights with it yet.

But the sun shade on my screen doesnt do much making it quite hard to see the screen outside. I will post a pic with the new one I found on ebay if its any good whenever it comes.

Here is my phantom after its latest mods, mostly just a paintjob and started using nylock nuts which I think is silly to use anything else. I also got some new Carbon props very similar in design to the stock props and overall even with more weight most likely due to the paint I am getting an extra minute fly time with these props and my tiger motors. Also nice and smooth having balanced them they seem to be pretty good but I have only flown the camera late afternoon so far with these.

mxvi.jpg

ezkn.jpg

I was planning to paint part of the front red after test flying it all black, I found being black make the bottom LED's much more visible so no need for more red. I may just paint the DJI lines red at the front but not sure about that yet as I like the black look, only the landing legs I painted the fronts red.

martcerv said:
I have made a couple more mods to my phantom, Installed some tiger motors MT 2216 kv900 and carbon fiber props. The motors are nice but props are no good,

Martcerv - All looking good! Couple of questions from a man always interested in upgrades....

- How do you find the power consumption with those motors? You say an extra minute with them + props?
- What kind of flight time are you getting with just the FPV + Hero3 from them?
- How was fitment in the shell (any modifying/cutting needed to get them in? at all).

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl