How to: Phantom 4 gimbal yaw and flex cable replacement

Reaction score
I wanted to shed some light on this subject, after searching and realizing the entire lack of material on this subject. I bought a P4 to fix the gimbal arm, which in itself should have been simple. There are videos that show you the entire step-by-step process. What they don’t show is the steps for what to do when things go wrong, so I will highlight what went wrong and what I did.

Yaw arm replacement tutorial:

Motor cap swap:

Gimbal flex cable replacement:

On the yaw arm, I got all the way to removing the yaw motor when I ran into issues. The screws are recessed, they’re small, they’re shallow, and they’re soft. I only use quality Craftsman or Snap-On tools, but these screws were beyond stubborn and ended up stripping. In hindsight, I would probably use a grinder and a drill to just grind down the arm until I could use a deemed to cut a notch in the screw and remove it, but I thought I could drill it out enough to remove it and use vice-grips. Nope, they’re recessed and the heads of the screws prevent drilling. They’re also too small to use a reverse thread on.

Yaw motor replacement section:

This resulted in me having to buy a replacement yaw motor. However, because the yaw motors are calibrated, buying a new one may causes issues where your gimbal will yaw back and forth or just point the wrong direction. This is not a guarantee that all new motors will do this, as some will work just fine. There are two options for this issue: have a DJI authorized center calibrate it, or swap the motor cap. I chose the latter, because it’s free. Also, the best part of this method is that it means you don't have to care if the motor you buy is the old or new style yaw motor (yes, there are two yaw motor caps and their mounting plates are different. The base of the motor is the same). See the second YouTube link for how to do it. If you do the former, you can ignore this next section and just install the motor. Alternatively, you can just install it and hope for the best, but that means disassembly if it doesn't work. The following took me about 8 minutes total, having never done it before and creating my own method as I went.

I made a few revisions to the method in the video: when pressing out the motor pin, the initial blow takes the most force and you can damage the cap by constantly banging it. Instead, I used a bench vise, a 7mm socket, and a T5 Torx bit. Putting the 7mm on the bottom of the motor and the torx bit on the pin allows you to efficiently press out the pin just the right amount. When pressing it back in, place the back of the Motor o on the vice clamp and place a 7mm docket on the front bearing. Verify that your socket is pressing against the outer rim of the bearing and not on the seal. I do it this way because tapping it from the bottom with a hammer can press out the upper bearing. Be aware that this takes almost no force to reseat the pin. Once the pin is reseated, just stick the motor cap on top, put the 7mm socket on top of the motor cap, the pin against the vise, and press the cap in until the pin is flush with the top of the motor cap. That’s it, you’re done.

I bought the yaw motor on Amazon, but there are some "new" ones on eBay. If they come to your door with threadlock in the threads, this means they're used. I have no idea if the ones on Amazon are used,so make sure to check the threads of the motor cap and the base. I also bought the DJI Phantom 4 screw kit on Amazon. However, you can probably buy one of those 500 piece laptop screw kits, instead, as the DJI screw set only has 4 motor screws. This means that if you need to replace two motors, or you lose more than 4 screws, you get to spend another $13 on a second screw kit. The motor screws for both the yaw and the roll motor are M2 x 2.8mm, but a M2 x 3mm might be fine, just verify that you don't bottom out the screw.

Flex cable section:

If you have to replace the cable, mine tore, I ended up getting the one from Fstop Lab because it included the yaw arm and the flex cable. It's on Amazon. Because I was replacing the yaw arm, this became tremendously simple. Even if you are not, the third video shows how to do it. The biggest issues I ran into was that I accidently mounted the roll arm upside down, which will cause some very severe gimbal motor overload issues. Also, it's a pain to stick each connector in and bending the new flex cable requires extreme delicacy, because it will tear if you are not careful.

Tips:
  • Each connector on the flex cable itself has a white line that indicates how far you need to insert it. Ironically, not all of them insert the same depth. Some will insert such that the white line is completely inside the board connector, others will just reach the edge of the connector. A good rule of thumb is that your cable's white line should, at a minimum, be even with the end of the female connector portion on the board. If it's not, you need to push it in more. I also tried tweezers for the tight spots, but that was useless.
  • Take pictures of how the cable was oriented if you're prone to forgetting.
  • Start at the camera's board itself. Work away from there, sticking on each section at a time.
  • Plug in each connector and route the cable before you start peeling off the adhesive cover. This will allow you to bend the cable without compromising the adhesive.
  • Keep the old cable next to you as a template for how each section was bent.
  • Push the cable as far away from the camera as possible. The tolerances are VERY tight, and the camera touching the flex cable will cause gimbal errors
  • Firmly press the adhesive down, to prevent it from peeling up.

Finally, I will say that, a bit ironically, the $10 no-name toolset that you find on Amazon when you search "DJI tools" actually does a better job for the phillips head screws than the bits from Craftsman or Snap-On. Or any of my specialty PH000/PH00/PH0, which were all too tall for the shallow heads. However, the 1.5mm allen driver does not fit all the 1.5mm heads, so I had to use my own 1.5mm allen bit for that. So, if you plan on DIY repair, I highly recommend you invest in those tools. If your screwdriver does not seat 100% with zero wiggle room, you're probably going to strip something, or damage the head and make it more difficult in the future.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the very detailed ,user experience post, I hope never to have to do this, but have noted your experience, and will refer to it if......

I actually feel quite confident I can manage this type of repair as I have done numerous PC, Laptop, and phone repairs, but all knowledge is useful, thanks.

Well thank you just_nick for your very imformative post it assisted me because I am in the middle of repairing a damaged P4 I purchased cheap on ebay (bit risky I know but love a challenge) anyway yes I could not
remove the yaw motor from the broken yaw arm because of those small crappy screws DJI uses. I think I will be
doing the same as you as a remedy..cheers.

Well thank you just_nick for your very imformative post it assisted me because I am in the middle of repairing a damaged P4 I purchased cheap on ebay (bit risky I know but love a challenge) anyway yes I could not
remove the yaw motor from the broken yaw arm because of those small crappy screws DJI uses. I think I will be
doing the same as you as a remedy..cheers.
If you have any questions, post here or PM me and I can try to help.

I agree with the changes you made concerning my video. I don't do it that way anymore but have been too busy to update it. I spent a lot of time researching the yaw motor replacement problem
. No one seem to know what to do. I will redo the video soon.

I would like to note that a guy named "jiminyfix" and I spent a great deal of time coming up with a method to get around DJI yaw motor calibration issue. Up until them guys were replacing the yaw motor and ending up with a camera that was useless. jiminyfix and I are both quite old. I am 73 and a retired HVAC mechanic. Not much experience with electronics. Lucky for me I know jiminyfix . I put the video together in about 5 minutes and did it in one shot. I only did it to help a guy on here who lives in Africa. He was able to follow the video and get his camera working. I now get messages from around the world asking questions about the video.
I am glad you found it somewhat useful.

Hey Ted 73 is top cricket score..i am 57 still not out lol. about that gimbal I put a whole new Yaw motor in and see what happens that other cap was stuffed I keep you posted.

Hey Ted 73 is top cricket score..i am 57 still not out lol. about that gimbal I put a whole new Yaw motor in and see what happens that other cap was stuffed I keep you posted.
Yes do that. My experience with just putting in a new yaw motor and not using the old casing in not good. I have experiment with the 20 or so casings I have left from repairs. I found one that sort of centered on a job where the original casing was trashed. It took several hours to find the one.

If you have any questions, post here or PM me and I can try to help.

Great write up! Did I install mine upside down or backwards or something?? After I got it all put back together and fired up, this is what I get? I also get an ESC No.1 error which I'm assuming is because of this?

Thank you!

Hey Ted i put on that new yaw motor (old style) on the my P4 and started up bird and the gimbal worked perfect, camera perfectly level so that was a win!

Reactions: Droneted
First, check to see if the ribbon cable is catching on the camera. It should move freely up and down with the drone powered off. It does not take much to obstruct it.
The ESC error has nothing to do with the gimbal. That may be a bad motor.

First, check to see if the ribbon cable is catching on the camera. It should move freely up and down with the drone powered off. It does not take much to obstruct it.
The ESC error has nothing to do with the gimbal. That may be a bad motor.

I can slightly feel resistance where the cable got wrapped around the tilt motor.

That whole thing is installed wrong. That rubber should not be sticking out of the top, by the yaw motor.

Also, you need to verify that the looping by the camera is the proper number of times and is oriented properly. Furthermore, did you slide all the connections into the esc board until they are flush with the white line? Including the bottom? There should be three going in.

Finally, as was said, that ESC error means something is damaged. You may have torn a solder off, or a cable is damaged going to the motor. Either way, you’re going to have to figure out what happened. If you’re lucky, you simply tore it off and some solder will fix that. If you broke a wire, you will need to fully strip the wire of any coating before soldering it. If the esc itself is bad, then you’re going to have to solder that.
There are professionals that can do it for you, too. Or, you can send it to DJI. Either way, unless you are proficient at soldering, this is going to be beyond what you can do.

Last edited:
Also, you need to verify that the looping by the camera is the proper number of times and is oriented properly. Furthermore, did you slide all the connections into the esc board until they are flush with the white line? Including the bottom? There should be three going in.

Finally, as was said, that ESC error means something is damaged. You may have torn a solder off, or a cable is damaged going to the motor. Either way, you’re going to have to figure out what happened. If you’re lucky, you simply tore it off and some solder will fix that. If you broke a wire, you will need to fully strip the wire of any coating before soldering it. If the esc itself is bad, then you’re going to have to solder that.
There are professionals that can do it for you, too. Or, you can send it to DJI. Either way, unless you are proficient at soldering, this is going to be beyond what you can do.

Going to tear it back down and check. Essentially start over. I'm pretty sure the ribbon cables are good as I bought a new one and the others that were there seemed fine. How many times does it wrap around? It seemed right when putting it back together but I obviously have something wrong. Forgive me for asking this but what is the ESC? I understand it is a board ( I think) but which one or where?

There are 2 esc boards attached to the side of the module a left and right, battery and led wires are soldered on them. (DJI P4 A-R003)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj