Should I worry about these cracks?

Reaction score
I just passed my part 107 test and bought a pre Owned phantom 4 pro. But when I got it I noticed these small cracks. I’m sorry that one of cracks having a red line its just so I could check if it was continuing to become bigger. I’m new to owning a drone and don’t want to have my drone fall out of the sky. I’ve been flying slowly because I’m scared to loose my drone that I just got. I just started up my drone business and I don’t wanna loose my drone while on a job. Any knowledge sent my way would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1569028571.601915.jpg
IMG_1569028625.643951.jpg

I just passed my part 107 test and bought a pre Owned phantom 4 pro.
Ok, first let me get this straight. You bought a used aircraft for Part107 use?....How long have you been flying? A license is just that. An "authorization".....You need much more than a test to fly commercially with any hope of profit from such. As far as the cracks, Yes ( To the point of being concerned )....these have been around for a long time.....

Naw naw lol I’m just stating that I’m new to the drone world and I’m FAA Official that’s all. I bought a pre Owned P4P that’s what I meant to say. Sorry for any miscommunication.

Reactions: andy young
I asked the previous owner if he had crashed or hit anything but he denied it obviously but I want to make sure this isn’t something I should worry about?

Naw naw lol I’m just stating that I’m new to the drone world and I’m FAA Official that’s all.
FAA Official meaning you are simply registered, or have obtained your 107?

Registered and have 107 yes
Then you have a lot to learn still. A 107 is easy to obtain ( If you need it and are ready for that )....Flying experience is paramount. Hobby or 107. You caught me a bit off guard with the 107 specification in the original post. This did not sound like a post from an experienced flyer.....

Then you have a lot to learn still. A 107 is easy to obtain ( If you need it and are ready for that )....Flying experience is paramount. Hobby or 107. You caught me a bit off guard with the 107 specification in the original post. This did not sound like a post from an experienced flyer.....

I just received my 107 yes, but I’ve been flying for like a year or 2 with other drones. But I wasn’t being paid for my video/photo. So I was only asking if these cracks would effect my flying because I haven’t crashed any previous drones and I didn’t crash this one but I want to make sure this won’t be a problem heading forward. My experience for maintenance and repair isn’t that professional but my flying skills are.

So I was only asking if these cracks would effect my flying because I haven’t crashed any previous drones and I didn’t crash this one but I want to make sure this won’t be a problem
In that instance yes, if you do enough research you will find that the issue is relatively common with P3's and some P4's....it is an issue, but can be "patched" if you will. Yet still, it is an air frame integrity issue and can ( and sometimes will ) result in the loss of the aircraft.

Reactions: JoBe
Part of being 107 certified is having a maintenance log, and business insurance. If something would happen and you crash into property or worse person with preexisting maintenance issues.... well need I say more?

So your preflight maintenance logs would say yes there are stress cracks ...??? Would be easy way for your insurance company to try not to pay...

Adam

For part 107 work I wouldnt use it simply because of legalities if you do crash & it's because of the cracks that you knew about you are on the hook then for all lawsuits

Part of being 107 certified is having a maintenance log, and business insurance. If something would happen and you crash into property or worse person with preexisting maintenance issues.... well need I say more?

So your preflight maintenance logs would say yes there are stress cracks ...??? Would be easy way for your insurance company to try not to pay...

Adam

Like I said before this is a pre owned drone so I started a maintenance log myself since the previous owner did not log anything. This is when I noticed the cracks and was aware the problem of lawsuits and etc when cleaning and changing the props. This is why I came onto here to see if this is a crack that’s bad enough to have to worry about. I’ve flown the drone and it’s fine when flying. I’m just wondering if the severity of the crack is bad enough to send in for repair. Hear any opinions from other owners who may have had similar problems with their phantoms.

May be just me but personally, I’d get it fixed. Equate it to a wing spar crack on a full scale aircraft. Not airworthy. Is that next unforeseen high speed sudden air-stop you make going to be the one that puts that arm over the edge? Send it to DJI or if you know someone with above average soldering & mechanical skills, buy a new lower shell and DIY.

Reactions: TheHumanTorch
May be just me but personally, I’d get it fixed. Equate it to a wing spar crack on a full scale aircraft. Not airworthy. Is that next unforeseen high speed sudden air-stop you make going to be the one that puts that arm over the edge? Send it to DJI or if you know someone with above average soldering & mechanical skills, buy a new lower shell and DIY.

Thanks For your response yo. I’ve been feeling like it’s too much to worry about every time I’m flying. I’m so nervous that this would be the time it falls out of the sky and then I would have to pay more repair or buy a completely new one. I wanted to make sure I’m not being too paranoid about it that maybe it was not big enough to worry about. But thanks Ima go get it fixed by droneU or DJI just better to have peace of mind.

Here's some links

You could resolve the issue by replacing the body shell. It's not a job for someone not experienced at precision work, soldering, and gluing, and you'll need some uncommon tools. I managed to do it okay on my P4, which is my backup to my P4A+. So you could send it to a repair place for the shell replacement.

You could resolve the issue by replacing the body shell. It's not a job for someone not experienced at precision work, soldering, and gluing, and you'll need some uncommon tools. I managed to do it okay on my P4, which is my backup to my P4A+. So you could send it to a repair place for the shell replacement.

Thanks homie

My P4 is 2 year old, has 83 hours and just started cracking badly around the legs. I patched and reinforced everywhere I found a crack with 3/4 oz glass cloth and Ca glue. A couple layers works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.