P4 Shell Cracks?

Reaction score
Has anyone else found cracks in their P4 shell? Yikes, never crashed , in fact i've never actually landed this phantom , hand catch every time since where i fly is pretty dusty :(
P4 shell crack.jpg

Has anyone else found cracks in their P4 shell? Yikes, never crashed , in fact i've never actually landed this phantom , hand catch every time since where i fly is pretty dusty :(View attachment 69751

I preordered this from the DJI store back in march. No crashes..... 291 flights 61Hrs 48Mins flight time.

Also anyone know what the turnaround time is for DJI repair, contemplating sending it in before the cracks get worse

There are few reports of shell cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The battery cracks are a known issue with the first version of the DJI P4 batteries.

Yeah that looks like a torque twist crack from hand catching.
Just kidding, I'm going to check mine much more carefully
I thought that most cracks were at the ends of the arms, not mid shell!

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm sure it changes daily. Get in touch with DJI Support and ask them.

I dread the thought of cracks! Airframe robustness is one of the things I want on the next generation Phantom. I'll take that any day over 360 deg rotating camera.

Yeah that looks like a torque twist crack from hand catching.
Just kidding, I'm going to check mine much more carefully
I thought that most cracks were at the ends of the arms, not mid shell!

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app
i thought it was an odd spot to start cracking too..... ended up shipping back the P4 and 2 batteries.... crossing my fingers theres a quick turnaround.

just got my P4 back from dji, charging batteries preparing for first flight, so far super pleased with DJI service. they actually gave me a new P4. i had some scratches on the camera from putting the gimbal guard on and off which are gone :) all the stickers indicating its brand new , wooohooo, great job from DJI. i sent it in on december 2nd / received it back 12/14

I dread the thought of cracks! Airframe robustness is one of the things I want on the next generation Phantom. I'll take that any day over 360 deg rotating camera.
I found a HUGE crack, this weekend, leading from the bottom of the battery area to under the right rear arm, and I found a small crack in another arm. I shipped it back to DJI today so I will be droneless for a while. I can only hope DJI will recognize that it was the weakness in their materials and not anything I have done.

I would presume there would be some type of wear after 9 months and around 3,000,000', but not cracks big enough for one of the arms to potentially break off in flight. My P4 was spotless, never had a crash, a tip over or a hard landing, and most of the distance it has was during P-mode. I rant and rave about DJI using different materials or a different design in their future drones where, if a drone is properly maintained, it can provide years of service. Again, my hope is that the P5 is the answer, but I haven't seen anything out of CES this year about it.

I had a minor crash and pranged on of the landing struts...the strut is fine but the shell now has a very small crack at one of the attachment points for the strut. I contacted the nearest DJI service center and they wanted $220 to replace the shell. You can buy the shell from DJI for $69...I know they need to make a profit, but jeez...:eek:

I had a minor crash and pranged on of the landing struts...the strut is fine but the shell now has a very small crack at one of the attachment points for the strut. I contacted the nearest DJI service center and they wanted $220 to replace the shell. You can buy the shell from DJI for $69...I know they need to make a profit, but jeez...:eek:
I've posted this before, but I'd love to see aftermarket companies, if not DJI themselves, market Phantom bodies that don't crack. Aluminum, carbon fiber, thin steel, crack resistant plastics, etc, I'd open my wallet for one. They could even introduce different designs for various reasons, one being to limit props and landing gear in the camera frame.

I'm happy with my P4 overall, but cracks forming under careful general use in unacceptable.

I found a HUGE crack, this weekend, leading from the bottom of the battery area to under the right rear arm, and I found a small crack in another arm. I shipped it back to DJI today so I will be droneless for a while. I can only hope DJI will recognize that it was the weakness in their materials and not anything I have done.

I would presume there would be some type of wear after 9 months and around 3,000,000', but not cracks big enough for one of the arms to potentially break off in flight. My P4 was spotless, never had a crash, a tip over or a hard landing, and most of the distance it has was during P-mode. I rant and rave about DJI using different materials or a different design in their future drones where, if a drone is properly maintained, it can provide years of service. Again, my hope is that the P5 is the answer, but I haven't seen anything out of CES this year about it.

Hi have you got any pictures of the cracks on your craft pal

Hi have you got any pictures of the cracks on your craft pal
The first crack I found, about an 1/8" on an upper arm, was too small for a decent image. The one leading from below the battery housing area to under the right rear arm was VERY noticeable, but I didn't image it.

I normally would image things like this, but I sent it off without doing so. One main reason was that my DSLR battery was dead, and that's the camera I would have used due to having a macro lens. My iPhone 6+ could have done a good job, but I just didn't.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj