Should i mind my own business? Or write a complaint to FAA?

I've not read the whole thread but here's my 2-cents...

1) Go ahead and send any information you have over to the FAA (I can send you the FSDO link if needed) and let THEM investigate.

2) He may well not know the regulations (I highly doubt that but give him the benefit of a doubt). If the FAA makes contact they can then "educate" him as needed. If further infractions are warranted then they would also be the ones to start that process as well.

3) The FAA Safety Team (FAAST) is tasked with exactly what I mentioned above. They have sUAS professionals available who help educate John Q. Public in instances just like this.

I Actually emailed the guy just being nice and asked him how new he was to all this and he told me he just bought his drone second hand and actually wasnt aware of the rules and regulations but he was actually in the process of learning since he discovered a few things the night before etc. So whether he was being honest or not. I dont know and hey its his business. Should I have said anything idk but at least it was cordial. He was actually grateful and i tomd him if he ever needed anything or had a question to message me if he wanted. Anywho.. next time ill just keep it to myself and mind my own.. i dont like judging others or being judged myself just trying to keep everyone safe
This quote here would tend to have me lean toward the MYOB option. I say this because it sounds like all the suspected wrongdoing is speculation that may be based on a bias or sensitivity you have as quoted above. It seems less a case of being worried about safety and protecting the drone community. They may be subconscious excuses for you to want to swing into action.

I mean no disrespect and there is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to protect your business and not see your hard work devalued. However, if that desire tends to cause you to find wrongdoing where there may not be, then I’m not sure getting questioning him or sending the authorities at him is the right thing to do. Seems too grey to me. If, however, you *knew* he was not 107 certified and *knew* he was posing a real danger then I might have a different answer.

All we can say here is subjective unless we know all the facts. With that being said, I assume this individual advertising for a drone service knows about the potential of the machine, I mean a basic understanding that it’s not a toy but a tool. So, assuming ignorance about its use is not relevant.
We don’t know if he bought the drone just for the purpose of “opening a business”, if so, I asked here would any of you pay $1200+ for a consumer drone with the intentions to make money out of it and don’t take the time to learn the rules of engagement?....I don’t think so. My recommendation would be to contact him, ask for his services, his credentials and insurance as if you were a potential client shopping for aerial photography services.
If he can’t produce anything just let him know he may be reported to the feds for operating commercially without the proper certifications.
I did contact him and he was friendly but he just bought the drone from somebody else and he did not have his certification or any other credentials and did not know any other rules he said he just found out and he was doing the best he could to learn as fast as he could but turns out he wasn't legal but I did not call anybody or turn him and I'm not trying to do anything for my benefit or help my business or weed out any competition. I just wanted to do the right thing. Also I'm glad to help out the few people that did not know that flying over a moving car was against regulations or the "law" I'm glad somebody learned something that's what it's all about.

We are all stewards of the industry and Helping Each Other learn and grow has always (and hope always is going forward) been the backbone to our industry.

the bible tells us to mind our business,i personally wouldn’t dime someone out to the government for flying a drone if he was a terrorist or criminal then yes but not for this.
you need to use commas in your message. You literally just said, "...i personally wouldn’t dime someone out to the government for flying a drone if he was a terrorist or criminal..." which is not what you meant I THINK haha all in good fun my friend

Reactions: PhoenixOne

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20