My wife & I were nearly arrested tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well after reading several 'scary' threads the past few months, I now have one of my own. I had shown the attached photo of some night shots I did in my city the other night, to a friend who owns a development. It's essentially a really cool shopping area with beautiful craftsman style homes that would look like something out of the movie Truman show. She loved the night pics I did downtown, and we talked about doing some day and night pics of her development. So tonight my wife and I parked just inside the school parking lot next to it.

After about 10 minutes a young lady walks by on her cell phone and my wife says hi to her. The lady kept walking. A few minutes later a cop pulls up with his blues on. Turns out the lady was the principal of the school doing some late work there on a Saturday night. Instead of initiating a conversation with my wife or I, to maybe ask what we were doing, what did she do? She called the cops.

Believe me, the cop was a punk. He jumps out of his car tells me to "land that thing and walk over here"! I did so, and I asked the officer what the problem was. He asked for my wife's and my ID, and said that we were trespassing on school property and said we were not supposed to be there. He told us the principal said we were "photographing her school, and neighbors were alarmed".

I told him we had permission, and then he asked for it in writing. I told him it was verbal, and gave him my friends number. About this time another police car pulls up, then he quickly pulls to the other end of the parking lot where I saw the lady principal standing there far away from us. The two cops get on the 'radio' and after a few minutes the cop gets out and says we were not supposed to be on school property and that he "could carry us in if the principal wants to press charges".

I won't bore you with many more details, but I calmly told the officer that I was not photographing her school, I was just barely in the parking lot and needed a wide-open space to take off and land to video the development. He asked me "why I wanted to film at night," and I told him "because it makes beautiful shots, here I'll show you," but he shook his head no.

After a few more minutes he comes back giving us our ID, and tells us to leave before he arrests us for trespassing. I told him that I had seen no signs saying no trespassing, and I thought that public school parking lots were OK, and he said absolutely not, "you can easily get arrested for that."

Although this seems like a story non-related to the actual drone, and had to do with me being somewhere I shouldn't have, believe me, it was the drone. I told the officer that we had been a couple of blocks down videoing late the night before, and no one said anything...and that there were some long-border teenagers skating on the school parking lot. My wife squeezed my arm and dragged me to get in the car before the cop changed his mind.

That's pretty much the story, but friends we need to prepare ourselves for more of this crap. The mass hysteria is just now beginning. And it's a shame. We have much bigger problems in this world.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,069
Last edited:
Yeah, it's sad. People live in fear. Afraid of their own shadow. So easily influenced and led by the media and government. They've given up most of their freedoms for a little "perceived" security. It's as plain as the nose on your face, and what happened to you is a prime example of it. You were automatically assumed guilty of being a bad guy, merely because the principle thought you had to be a bad guy. What a country. Sorry it happened to you.

Sorry to hear about your experience. When your motivation is to create stuff people appreciate, it is disheartening when they irrationally reject your ability to do it. Not what one calls . . . enjoyment.

-- zigs

It's a great picture. Seriously though, I'd just wait a few nights until hid hard on lightens and do it again later on when that lazy principal would surely be asleep.

The second an officer gives you an attitude request his shift supervisor immediately. You'll see how fast you'll be on your way.

The second an officer gives you an attitude request his shift supervisor immediately. You'll see how fast you'll be on your way.
Hmmm, don't put money on that idea. It's possible it will dig you in deeper. Wait till the next day and call the police chief or designee to explain the incident. Do it in a cool, concise manner and you'll get farther than you would during the stop

Reactions: SilverStone641
With all the hype about bad cops at the moment it's all to quick to jump to "America is getting worse" and all the other negative associated viewpoints, I'm seeing a principal concerned about the school and police responding to this genuine concern.
She didn't respond to a verbal "hi" and that was fair enough and the police did their job, all good.

Many talk about media hype here and how bad it is but respond in the like when it suits a situation they want to fit there view.
Some things are just the way they are and nothing more, or world/America related

They did land on the moon (honest)
It's all about the mirror they put their
:)

With all the hype about bad cops at the moment it's all to quick to jump to "America is getting worse" and all the other negative associated viewpoints, I'm seeing a principal concerned about the school and police responding to this genuine concern.
She didn't respond to a verbal "hi" and that was fair enough and the police did their job, all good.

Many talk about media hype here and how bad it is but respond in the like when it suits a situation they want to fit there view.
Some things are just the way they are and nothing more, or world/America related

They did land on the moon (honest)
It's all about the mirror they put their
:)

I think it's less about "concerned about the school" than about she wants to 'feel' important... and wants justification for that. As long as we make them feel important at the end of the day... well, you can pretty much get them to do anything you want.

When it comes down to it... a squirrel has more of a chance of hurting a school than a drone. A squirrel could leave a nut, that blocks a leaf, that blocks a twig that blocks a lot more stuff that goes down a drain.. filling the gutter up, making the water spill over the gutter... the water slowing creeps into an unprotected space... dibbled down into some really expensive inaccessible wall area... cause a mildew situation whereas they'd need to shut the entire hallway down... the surrounding classrooms for a month worth of work at great taxpayer costs... leaving these childlren to fend for themselves out on the streets during this time,,, God only knows what associates they'd pick up with... drug habits they'd pick up.....

Well;;.. the drone could have prevented all this by seeing the nut from the get-go... scared the squirrel away all in one shot and all these children could have stayed off drugs and rock n' roll and lived fairly productive lives.

The kids we see today with no direction could have been saved years ago with just a simple Drone and a hug in their lives.

You covered a lot then, yes indeed a hug fixes a lot.

As for her feeling important I understand why you could say that but I think school responsibilities would be a more overwhelming reason in this case with two people loitering (as seen from her and disregarding the offered "hi" and her dismissing that from the outset)

The Quad was the OP view point but hers wasn't I think.

We all need more hugs :) but Quads, well no, they have cellphones and that hasn't turned out to good.

If she hadn't been the principal nothing would've happened. This is all local politics. Police have to respond to the school district; otherwise it'd be on the local news station.

Regardless, all hysterical overreaction to ignorant perceptions fueled by media. No one will care a year from today.

In anticipation that someday I will deal with one of these ignorant and bored pieces of trash, I always wear a shirt with a pocket. I keep me iPhone in that pocket and the camera peeks out perfectly. If I see something that looks like confrontation comin my way. Just hit record and face it outwards in my shirt pocket. If some punk civilian or one wearing a badge wants to act like a tough guy, I will kill them with kindness then burn them later. No need to argue.

Reactions: yorlik
Was that town by any chance Mayberry? Because it sure sounds like you had a run in with Barney.

Reactions: steveeds
Was that town by any chance Mayberry? Because it sure sounds like you had a run in with Barney.

It is a public school. School was out of session, as it was 9:30 on a Saturday night. The parking lot was not closed (no gates). There was no "no parking after hours" signs. No "No trespassing" signs.

My point to the officer was how does anyone know they're trespassing in any given public parking lot if there are no signs? Heck there is a ball field, track, and playground that people use every weekend. Are they trespassing? Does the principal call the police on them?

The lady walked right by my wife and I, and didn't say a word. Apparently she'd rather call two cruisers out there who could've been working a real urgent call.

A principal doing extra work at 9:30PM SATURDAY night? Yea right, my bet is she was their banging someone:D
Exactly my thoughts... And she prolly thought the OP was a private investigator recording her affair in the school recess area... LOL:D:D:eek:;)

It is a public school. School was out of session, as it was 9:30 on a Saturday night. The parking lot was not closed (no gates). There was no "no parking after hours" signs. No "No trespassing" signs.

My point to the officer was how does anyone know they're trespassing in any given public parking lot if there are no signs? Heck there is a ball field, track, and playground that people use every weekend. Are they trespassing? Does the principal call the police on them?

The lady walked right by my wife and I, and didn't say a word. Apparently she'd rather call two cruisers out there who could've been working a real urgent call.
Usually a person would not be trespassing on public property while the business was open. However, in this case it was closed. You'd have a very good argument that there was no notification about this and no one asked you to leave. I'd say it's a flip of the coin. The officer should have politely told you that the principle is asking you to leave and that would have been that. Being rude or threatening you is just a power trip on the officers behalf.

Reactions: snerd and Goldni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj