Should i mind my own business? Or write a complaint to FAA?

Why isn’t everyone calling this guy or sending emails educating him about all the rules he is breaking? Or better yet, turning them into the FAA?

So. I was just on Craigslist, window shopping the drone section.. seen this guy*.. offering drone services and aerial photos. Now he doesnt say anything about being licensed or insured or qualified in any way. Also in his pictures i see it looks like he is violating 2 of the biggest no nos in my book.. looks like hes flying above 400 and flying over a highway with moving cars.. should i mind my own business or file a complaint? Or maybe just email him myself and maybe ask or inform him if he knows what hes doing is wrong and could possibly get him in trouble with a fine or hurt him or someone else? What do yall think... i dont like being a rat and i am a firm believer in karma and think it usually comes back around to you depending on your lifestyle.. heres the pictures. Any opinions?
So. I was just on Craigslist, window shopping the drone section.. seen this guy*.. offering drone services and aerial photos. Now he doesnt say anything about being licensed or insured or qualified in any way. Also in his pictures i see it looks like he is violating 2 of the biggest no nos in my book.. looks like hes flying above 400 and flying over a highway with moving cars.. should i mind my own business or file a complaint? Or maybe just email him myself and maybe ask or inform him if he knows what hes doing is wrong and could possibly get him in trouble with a fine or hurt him or someone else? What do yall think... i dont like being a rat and i am a firm believer in karma and think it usually comes back around to you depending on your lifestyle.. heres the pictures. Any opinions?
What would I do? I would just mind my own business.

Reactions: weldor
IMHO I would take your second option and "mind your own business" ... just saying ...

Hurry up and finish this useless thread!!!! I'm running out of ? and crying tissues! CRAP!

If you think that's bad, you haven't seen the video on Youtube of the guy who uses a Mavic to take two cell phones up to 1000' and drop them to see how they survive the fall! Guy broke two FAA laws there, at the minimum!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Why isn’t everyone calling this guy or sending emails educating him about all the rules he is breaking? Or better yet, turning them into the FAA?
Because most people are smart enough to worry about themselves before preaching and narking on others. IMO, a friendly email can go a long way, but being a know- it-all / tattle tail is disgraceful

Reactions: weldor and RKBA
Wow, in CFR 107.39 has the word, "stationary" always been there? I thought that I had familiarized myself with all of the rules under part 107, and I have always considered vehicles to be covered protection. The word stationary is pretty critical. I have flown over roads many times. I won't anymore. Good thing nobody called the feds on me! I love getting better, this is a good thread!

Reactions: Vernon_Fowlkes
Because most people are smart enough to worry about themselves before preaching and narking on others. IMO, a friendly email can go a long way, but being a know- it-all / tattle tail is disgraceful
I agree with the quote above. Focus on policing yourself before policing others.

If you ever have to ask or wonder if you should mind your own business, then you should in fact mind your own business.
With just looking at a couple of pictures and not knowing all the facts, you cannot determine anything from a Craigslist post.

I would just make a call to your FSDO and let them handle it. I would also try and report to them anonymously. In today's day and age, why expose yourself to an individual you know nothing about. Could be dangerous.

I’ve reported three drunk drivers to the police since they were all over the road and a danger to themselves and others. I followed them until the police pulled them over. I had to go to the local magistrate but didn’t have to testify since they all pleaded guilty. I was happy to do it.

I’m also a licensed Ham and wouldn’t hesitate to help track down and turn into the FCC someone violating the FCC’s regs. Ham radio is largely self-regulated, and licensed Hams don’t want the bands screwed up by a few dumb people.

In your case, I think I’d warn the drone operator through Craig’s List, point him in the right direction and hope for the best. If you know he continues to violate the rules, report him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vernon_Fowlkes
In my opinion there is no way to know with any certain what altitude or what angle he took the shots from. He could have been shooting off a hill with zoom that gives the perception of high altitude. He could have shot the highway from a distance off at an angle with zoom around a slight curve.

the bible tells us to mind our business,i personally wouldn’t dime someone out to the government for flying a drone if he was a terrorist or criminal then yes but not for this.

Does it affect you directly in a financial or in a directly safety way???
If no... It doesn't concern you.... IMO

Jerry

All we can say here is subjective unless we know all the facts. With that being said, I assume this individual advertising for a drone service knows about the potential of the machine, I mean a basic understanding that it’s not a toy but a tool. So, assuming ignorance about its use is not relevant.
We don’t know if he bought the drone just for the purpose of “opening a business”, if so, I asked here would any of you pay $1200+ for a consumer drone with the intentions to make money out of it and don’t take the time to learn the rules of engagement?....I don’t think so. My recommendation would be to contact him, ask for his services, his credentials and insurance as if you were a potential client shopping for aerial photography services.
If he can’t produce anything just let him know he may be reported to the feds for operating commercially without the proper certifications.

Reactions: PhoenixOne
If you think that's bad, you haven't seen the video on Youtube of the guy who uses a Mavic to take two cell phones up to 1000' and drop them to see how they survive the fall! Guy broke two FAA laws there, at the minimum!
How did the phones do? ;)

What’s that stuff about rural areas. Lol
I never saw a mountain that high around Charlotte North Carolina area on the Monroe side. You mean you can’t fly over hi ways. Lol

No... I learned recently as well that flying over moving traffic is not allowed. Via the FAA: "You currently cannot fly a small UAS over anyone not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle. " Stationary is the operative word. Not a lot of people know this, it seems.

Wow, in CFR 107.39 has the word, "stationary" always been there? I thought that I had familiarized myself with all of the rules under part 107, and I have always considered vehicles to be covered protection. The word stationary is pretty critical. I have flown over roads many times. I won't anymore. Good thing nobody called the feds on me! I love getting better, this is a good thread!

Me, too, DDG! Took me by surprise recently.

"I am just trying to get my part 107 and start a drone business and I'm not trying to weed out any competition but I definitely don't want any illegal pilots flying in my area when I worked so hard to build and establish a business.
This quote here would tend to have me lean toward the MYOB option. I say this because it sounds like all the suspected wrongdoing is speculation that may be based on a bias or sensitivity you have as quoted above. It seems less a case of being worried about safety and protecting the drone community. They may be subconscious excuses for you to want to swing into action.

I mean no disrespect and there is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to protect your business and not see your hard work devalued. However, if that desire tends to cause you to find wrongdoing where there may not be, then I’m not sure getting questioning him or sending the authorities at him is the right thing to do. Seems too grey to me. If, however, you *knew* he was not 107 certified and *knew* he was posing a real danger then I might have a different answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4