This is why you should never ever upload 1080 HD

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
There are thousands of people uploading 1080 HD as they think it good enough, its easy, it edits well.

Just take a look at these two picture below, This is a screen capture at 1080 P on a 27 inch monitor.
The one that is clean next to it is 2K or 1440.

This should explain to many that if someone is watching 1080HD on a 27 inch or 30 inch your going to get a lot of people shaking there heads as to how poor the footage is.

Just 2K brings the clarity and details up dramatically,

So if you cannot do 4K at least consider doing 2K as that will just empower your videos for so many more viewers.

We are in the Process of encoding all of are vids now to 2K , I have enclose the two videos that really brought this to light for us as we were drinking the 1080 P Juice for awhile now.

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 9.20.00 PM.png

Look below how poor the video is on just a screen capture on a 27 inch thunderbolt display let alone a retina display. 1080 P just ruins any sense of quality at all. Now look above at 1440 or 2K and its just pops .

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 9.19.20 PM.png

Just watch the video in 2K and see the video POP . You can clearly see it on the Ducks and Snow Flakes.

This option exists on both Vimeo and Youtube. the 2K or 1140 P which is perfect if you do not want the hassle of 4K but demand real professional video clarity.

FYI - There are so many people with big screens now , that you do not want to post video that looks this poor if your going to take the time to post it. 2K we feel solves that issue and even looks great on the 80 inch Samsung TV , where as 1080 P falls apart badly.

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 8.58.28 PM.png

As you may know we are all about Adventure Flying and are new super thin lens protector caps are providing some great all weather flying and video captures of the rain and snow .. .and hail.

I really wish we could screen capture for you the video from the 80 Inch Samsung as you would all cry to see how much different going to 2K is .

Although there is a very minimal difference in 4K is no where near as noticeable as 1080 P

We were drinking the 1080 koolaid for a long time but this pic for us sealed the deal. Its 2K/4K all the way and its still a breeze to edit and the results are fantastic.

Last edited:
Reproducing screen grabs does not tell the story unless viewing distance if factored in. To a person with 20/20 vision 1080 will look the same at 10ft from an 80” screen as 2k does at around 7 feet. Yes it does all seem to fall apart when you get in close but at usual viewing distances the differences are nowhere near as clear as might be expected.

Reproducing screen grabs does not tell the story unless viewing distance if factored in. To a person with 20/20 vision 1080 will look the same at 10ft from an 80” screen as 2k does at around 7 feet. Yes it does all seem to fall apart when you get in close but at usual viewing distances the differences are nowhere near as clear as might be expected.

Im sorry bud, I bought into the 1080 P nonsense for a long time, but it does make a difference , and that screen shots screams its 2K or the Highway. I think that maybe what many TV Salesman might have said but we know better now. Just look at the extreme change when going to just 2K , how can anyone deny that . We sit 4 ft away from are TV 2K pops nicely but 1080 fails us on the pause and video clarity.

Reactions: Jaykappert1
Salesman blurb has no impact on the limits visual acuity. Of course you will see a difference sitting close to the screen, I am talking about performance of large flat panel and projection systems. Providing you have a reasonable upscaler (where the source is less than native display resolution) 1080p looks fantastic. Where you got my attention was with the suggestion you wished you could get a screen grab of the 80” Samsung. Fact is if your 10” away from it (slightly inside the recommended distance) you can’t see the limitations of 1080.

Do I prefer 4K? Absolutely. Do I find 1080 poor quality? Not in my theatre but I can see a great difference in front of my 4K computer monitors.

Salesman blurb has no impact on the limits visual acuity. Of course you will see a difference sitting close to the screen, I am talking about performance of large flat panel and projection systems. Providing you have a reasonable upscaler (where the source is less than native display resolution) 1080p looks fantastic. Where you got my attention was with the suggestion you wished you could get a screen grab of the 80” Samsung. Fact is if your 10” away from it (slightly inside the recommended distance) you can’t see the limitations of 1080.

Do I prefer 4K? Absolutely. Do I find 1080 poor quality? Not in my theatre but I can see a great difference in front of my 4K computer monitors.
Your logic is really great but , you kind of missed the point that I was making , so let me try it again. You dont even need 4K if those 1080 believers will just go to 2K, everyone with 4 eyes or 2 eyes kissing the TV or looking at it with Binoculars will be happy.

Last edited:
Youtube 1080p is garbage. Has always been.
Vimeo 1080p is OK.

Naturally, 1440p is much better.

/Dell UP2516D

Youtube 1080p is garbage. Has always been.
Vimeo 1080p is OK.

Naturally, 1440p is much better.

/Dell UP2516D

Yes this true , Vimeo does have the better codecs and its nice that you can use the same codec they use in the Adobe Premiere . Buy you use the word MUCH better and really the 2K is an astonishing amount brighter, clearer and makes the video pop with the details someone wants to see with very little inconvenience. This is just a game changer as many people are thinking about getting a new computer such as the new Mac Pro to edit 4K but 2K may save them from that new purchase. Everyone should make an attempt to watch there youtube or Vimeo on the big screen and lesson learned or a 27 inch screen and realize the jump to 2K is really worth the added effort . Thanks for your comment its spot on.

Yes this true , Vimeo does have the better codecs and its nice that you can use the same codec they use in the Adobe Premiere . Buy you use the word MUCH better and really the 2K is an astonishing amount brighter, clearer and makes the video pop with the details someone wants to see with very little inconvenience. This is just a game changer as many people are thinking about getting a new computer such as the new Mac Pro to edit 4K but 2K may save them from that new purchase. Everyone should make an attempt to watch there youtube or Vimeo on the big screen and lesson learned or a 27 inch screen and realize the jump to 2K is really worth the added effort . Thanks for your comment its spot on.
The iMac is 4K display now. I have the old pro but went the hackintosh route recently. The Apple pricing is getting a little on the silly side.

BTW, I do everything in 4K but still maintain if your far enough from your display that it occupies an area described by 40% of your visual field (THX spec) the average person will not see a great if any difference between 2K and 1080.

And the TV salesmen would be trying to tell you 4K is what you absolutely need ;-).

Reactions: macoman
Personally I am happy to watch 1080p. Its a clear enough pic for me. Naturally I film in 2K on my P3A but most people won't see it in its full glory as 99% of the time they are watching it on their laptop or phones which isn't 2K or 4K

Personally I am happy to watch 1080p. Its a clear enough pic for me. Naturally I film in 2K on my P3A but most people won't see it in its full glory as 99% of the time they are watching it on their laptop or phones which isn't 2K or 4K

99% percent of the time, really. Ok sure if that is the case.

My customers can't handle 4K. "Your video doesn't play." I'll pass for now.

Maybe in five years.

SB

My customers can't handle 4K. "Your video doesn't play." I'll pass for now.

Maybe in five years.

SB

Actually the video plays beautifully and no one said anything about 4K we are talking about 2K 2K my friend say it with me. 2K

Actually the video plays beautifully and no one said anything about 4K we are talking about 2K 2K my friend say it with me. 2K
If I forget large panel/projection systems for a minute and consider your OP you are on the money (or at least close to it). The maths are here 4K Monitors: Can you actually see the difference? with accompanying discussion.

For your display a person with 20/15 (better than 20/20) Vision, which is not uncommon, would need a 5K capable panel for a 24” viewing distance for maximum perceptible clarity. Clearly 2K will look superior to 1080.

7F1BADCB-9C9A-4580-8055-AFE30CBD8C3F.jpeg

So one thing I haven’t seen directly mentioned is bitrate tho @Dronefriend sort of got at it w/ his post. In theory the numbers re: viewing distances etc are all under the assumption of perfect or sufficient bitrate to properly render the video at that scale for that video with that codec.

The problem is that YouTube 1080p is maxed at around 8mbps (10mbps for HDR content). And that is frequently NOT sufficient.

Compare that to Vimeo 1080p is more than twice that, up to 20mbps. The P4P records in FHD 24/24/30fps at 50mbps. A Blu-ray disk is 36mbps, tho Adobe guidance says you can achieve the same quality level at 20mbps with h.264.

Long story short, it’s about more than resolution. And sometimes the different tiers scale such that you can end up with a higher “relative” bitrate on some systems. On the source side, the P4P will do 100mbps for 4k, but the Mavic caps at 60mbps at 4k yet reaches nearly as high (45mbps) at 2.7k. As a result the Mavic 4k video can look like crud - 2.7k usually looks much better bc there is a lot more data bandwidth available especially if there is a lot of change like moving grass/leaves.

On the output side, I wonder if you are outputting 1080p to 2k might be part of why it looks visibly better. If you’re using the Youtube constraints, at 2k you get 16mbps and since you don’t have any more source pixels, they’re just larger, you may end up with a better looking video since there’s more bandwidth available. [On this last bit re: uprez I am speculating, that’s just a bit beyond my current knowledge]

Reactions: hms and Dronefriend
If I forget large panel/projection systems for a minute and consider your OP you are on the money (or at least close to it). The maths are here 4K Monitors: Can you actually see the difference? with accompanying discussion.

For your display a person with 20/15 (better than 20/20) Vision, which is not uncommon, would need a 5K capable panel for a 24” viewing distance for maximum perceptible clarity. Clearly 2K will look superior to 1080.

View attachment 92550

That picture explains what I saw first hand with my 30 inch monitors and I am betting most people are not aware of that, thank you for that post as its clarity for my direct post..

And in today's world, most of the people will be watching it on their phone. Just Saying..............

All the Christmas car commercials featured people buried in their phones walking into the path of a speeding car which, thankfully stops automatically so as to not kill someone who SHOULD have been a Darwin award winner.

Reactions: Neon Euc
What resolution do you think your cable company is delivering your programming?
It's nbearly 2018, a better question is what 4K UHD channels do you get on your Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV...

Reactions: JSKCKNIT

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl