Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

DesertFlyer53 said:
Bwells said:
Click on the next available non-greyed out slot and then hit import.

Try that. Are you getting a list of numbers with no data on the fields?

Yes, as I remember the first 4 lines are grayed out. Use the 5th line (I think).

I will try that. I only selected to the first line and then tried import.

extrememc said:

Yes, the first 4 lines or so are grayed out. You have to use the first non-grayed line. I don't know why.

DesertFlyer53 said:
extrememc said:

Yes, the first 4 lines or so are grayed out. You have to use the first non-grayed line. I don't know why.

It worked! Now do I take the phantom power up. Then push the button under the belly til it blinks red then turn on T8FGs then the light on the TX should turn green and the light on the phantom belly too.

extrememc said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
extrememc said:

It worked! Now do I take the phantom power up. Then push the button under the belly til it blinks red then turn on T8FGs then the light on the TX should turn green and the light on the phantom belly too.

Nope. Turn on the transmitter. Power up the phantom. Push the button on the belly for several seconds (I think). The procedure is in the Phantom manual which I don't have in front of me now. The light will turn green at some point. Don't worry about the Tx light. It always stays red.

Do you have the Phantom 2 manual? If not, download it from the DJI website. The Rx binding procedure is in there!

Ok so I got it binded. It worked fine to my knowledge. The gimbal controls worked, throttle, yaw work. I connect to the software to calibrated and clicked start. Followed the steps listed on the right side of the screen. I unplugged and powered down. Restarted and lost connection to TX. When I finally got it connect. The fail safe switch turns LED to blinking yellow then motors go in to high gear. Only way to get the motors to shut down is to put in ATTi mode. What have I done wrong. Can I start over?

Can someone give me the value in the software for the TX? Maybe I can cross reference that to see if those are correct. Could I just delete the profile and reinstall it, then try to bind. I think I screwed something up in the calibration process.

extrememc said:
Ok so I got it binded. It worked fine to my knowledge. The gimbal controls worked, throttle, yaw work. I connect to the software to calibrated and clicked start. Followed the steps listed on the right side of the screen. I unplugged and powered down. Restarted and lost connection to TX. When I finally got it connect. The fail safe switch turns LED to blinking yellow then motors go in to high gear. Only way to get the motors to shut down is to put in ATTi mode. What have I done wrong. Can I start over?

Can someone give me the value in the software for the TX? Maybe I can cross reference that to see if those are correct. Could I just delete the profile and reinstall it, then try to bind. I think I screwed something up in the calibration process.

Is the failsafe switch (SF) off? Sounds like it's on. See the attached picture. Note: this picture is on the first page of this thread.

Attachments

• t8fgs-controls.jpg
    t8fgs-controls.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 321

extrememc said:

Have you flown your P2 yet with the stock controller? Sounds like you may be in a bit over your head with the T8FGS. I flew mine with the stock controller for about a month before graduating to this controller. Doing so gave me a good foundation on how everything works (including the assistant software).

Anyone bought a spare battery for their futaba? I see dslrpros have one that is a lipo at b and h for $30.

If you want to finish your transmtter off you can get some nice transmitter decals (and plenty of others, including lots of different strips for the front arms) from this guy. Delivered to the UK in a couple of days!

http://www.signsoflife.net/phantom-controller.php

I can highly recommend.

Re: Re : Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

ianwood said:
To change LD so it trims in the right direction, go to LINKAGE > FUNCTION > RUDDER and select LD, then set RATE from 30% to -30%.

Thanks a lot for your job.
Do you plan to make a tutorial to program the t8fgs ?

drone-man

DesertFlyer53 said:
extrememc said:

Is the failsafe switch (SF) off? Sounds like it's on. See the attached picture. Note: this picture is on the first page of this thread.

The fail-safe switch is not on.

DesertFlyer53 said:
extrememc said:

Have you flown your P2 yet with the stock controller? Sounds like you may be in a bit over your head with the T8FGS. I flew mine with the stock controller for about a month before graduating to this controller. Doing so gave me a good foundation on how everything works (including the assistant software).

Been flying mine for a little over a month. Understand the controls. First time in the software, but understand the functions. I manage to bind my stock controller, but I have not gimbal control. So I plugged in my phantom and check to see if gimbal switch was on. Well it wasn't so I turned it on. Thinking that would correct the problem. It didn't. The only thing that I have done inside the software was try to calibrate the T8FGS failed, activate Naza M, enable IOC and turned on gimbal switch. Needing a little help here please just a little frustrated.

I decided to call ATL Hobby for some insight on my problems. It was suggest to me to delete and reload profile then try to bind again. I did that. It bonded but I have no gimbal control. Taking a mental break for now. :oops:

extrememc said:
Been flying mine for a little over a month. Understand the controls. First time in the software, but understand the functions. I manage to bind my stock controller, but I have not gimbal control. So I plugged in my phantom and check to see if gimbal switch was on. Well it wasn't so I turned it on. Thinking that would correct the problem. It didn't. The only thing that I have done inside the software was try to calibrate the T8FGS failed, activate Naza M, enable IOC and turned on gimbal switch. Needing a little help here please just a little frustrated.

Easy to get frustrated but let's slow everything down to make sure you get it right. There's no rush. Gimbal power should be off in the Phantom Assistant. That is apparently for other types of gimbals. Make sure all your firmware is up to date: main board, gimbal, stock RC, OSD if you have it. Do a last test flight with the stock controller to confirm everything works as it's supposed to. Make sure the Futaba has my profile loaded and is the active profile. Confirm the Futaba binding works on the bench and test that switching Futaba off and then back on, it rebinds automatically.

If all is good at this point, then calibrate your controls: first the primary flight controls, make sure they sit at or near 0 in the middle and go to 1,000 at the ends. Next are the flight mode switches: using the software, make sure SD and SA go to the corresponding modes (for SD: GPS, ATTI, manual/FS and for SA: OFF, course lock, and home lock). Make sure that SF moves the flight mode to one of the two middle failsafe blocks (doesn't have to be centered, just has to be in it) from any other mode. Finally, calbrate X1 (the gimbal) by putting SB in the middle position and moving RS only.

Before doing actual flight testing, confirm all switches are in the backmost position. Confirm LD is centered. Power everything up and go flying.

ianwood said:
extrememc said:

Easy to get frustrated but let's slow everything down to make sure you get it right. There's no rush. Gimbal power should be off in the Phantom Assistant. That is apparently for other types of gimbals. Make sure all your firmware is up to date: main board, gimbal, stock RC, OSD if you have it. Do a last test flight with the stock controller to confirm everything works as it's supposed to. Make sure the Futaba has my profile loaded and is the active profile. Confirm the Futaba binding works on the bench and test that switching Futaba off and then back on, it rebinds automatically.

If all is good at this point, then calibrate your controls: first the primary flight controls, make sure they sit at or near 0 in the middle and go to 1,000 at the ends. Next are the flight mode switches: using the software, make sure SD and SA go to the corresponding modes (for SD: GPS, ATTI, manual/FS and for SA: OFF, course lock, and home lock). Make sure that SF moves the flight mode to one of the two middle failsafe blocks (doesn't have to be centered, just has to be in it) from any other mode. Finally, calbrate X1 (the gimbal) by putting SB in the middle position and moving RS only.

Before doing actual flight testing, confirm all switches are in the backmost position. Confirm LD is centered. Power everything up and go flying.

Will do Ianwood. Question even with using stock RC/Futaba should the gimbal be off in the naza software?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extrememc said:
Will do Ianwood. Question even with using stock RC/Futaba should the gimbal be off in the naza software?

As I understand it, the gimbal power is not needed with the Zenmuse gimbal regardless of controller.

Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

ianwood said:
extrememc said:

As I understand it, the gimbal power is not needed with the Zenmuse gimbal regardless of controller.
Ok I will turn it back off. Should the frequency be at 200 hz? How can I re bind my stock RC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extrememc said:
Ok I will turn it back off. Should the frequency be at 200 hz? How can I re bind my stock RC?

Yes. Don't mess with the other settings. Binding should be the same process for both.

Ian,

I took the plunge this morning and installed your model on my Futaba 14SGH. All went well. Agree with your counsel to take it slow, read instructions, think ahead, no rushing, no shortcuts. Bench tested all modes, then flew tethered in the back yard (lots of questions from my kids re tethered flying ;-). All good so far. Maybe two hours total from start to ready for real flight.

A couple questions:
1) My gimbal slider wasn't responding until I enabled gimbal power in assistant. Is that expected?
2) I am seeing some lethargy/inconsistency in the 0/45/90 gimbal auto tilt function. Any thoughts there?
3) I am now seeing two quick green flashes on tail lights once powered up and with good # of birds locked. I don't think I've ever seen green flashes in pairs like that. What does that mean?
4) I cannot wait to test the reduced sensitivity in yaw. Does that triple rate switch only apply to yaw? Or are pitch and throttle modulated as well?

Thank you immensely for putting together this model. All of a sudden I am not so anxious to spend another $500 on the new H3-3D! ;-)

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Ian,

I took the plunge this morning and installed your model on my Futaba 14SGH. All went well. Agree with your counsel to take it slow, read instructions, think ahead, no rushing, no shortcuts. Bench tested all modes, then flew tethered in the back yard (lots of questions from my kids re tethered flying ;-). All good so far. Maybe two hours total from start to ready for real flight.

A couple questions:
1) My gimbal slider wasn't responding until I enabled gimbal power in assistant. Is that expected?
2) I am seeing some lethargy/inconsistency in the 0/45/90 gimbal auto tilt function. Any thoughts there?
3) I am now seeing two quick green flashes on tail lights once powered up and with good # of birds locked. I don't think I've ever seen green flashes in pairs like that. What does that mean?
4) I cannot wait to test the reduced sensitivity in yaw. Does that triple rate switch only apply to yaw? Or are pitch and throttle modulated as well?

Thank you immensely for putting together this model. All of a sudden I am not so anxious to spend another $500 on the new H3-3D! ;-)

Kelly

How are you tethering your phantom?

I turned the gimbal switch OFF in the software and my gimbal control works on both stock RC and T8. I am getting the something when it comes to flashing lights. I know been getting a lot of the Self Test lights.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT