Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

extrememc said:
I am glad it worked. Does it give you 360 degrees or 180? Now I won't have my radio till next week. I plan to install your original profile. Can you post a sperate profile with the knob feature add please.

It's continuous until you recenter the dial. That's really the only way it can be done. Anyway, it works really well. Good idea. I've added it to the v4 profile which will be up in a short while.

Rallyeman said:
Ok i reinstalled your profile just in case.. Problem: I cannot get full range motion through the RS switch, no matter where the SB is. More speficaly, when SB is in top position, RS knob gives me a range of 75-90 degrees (where 0 is looking forward an0 is facing down). With SB at middle position , RS knob gives me a range of 45-90 degrees. Finally with SB switch on lower position, the RS knob lets me tilt from zero (lookinf straight forward) to 45 degrees! Is there a way to get full motion ? Like 0-90? :roll:

Looks like your X1 calibration is off. I am about to put a new profile that changes the gimbal end points. Download it and then follow the calibration instructions.

Rallyeman said:
Also, can you implement this? I'd love to have the SC switch working exactly like SB but with other in/out motor values.. :D

SC is assigned to triple rate already.

hsestes said:
I am curious, if you could also program another switch like SB but have it tilt faster than the current SB switch. I like the smooth tilts, but think it could be too slow for some action shots. Could SE or SG be programmed like SB but faster?
So SB for slow gimbal, SE for faster gimbal movements?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it. I've been hunting for a variable rate for the auto-tilt e.g. setting a dial to control the auto-tilt speed. It doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

hsestes said:
And back to the topic of slowing the tilt ( Switch for fast and slow tilt), do you think some setup similar to this would work?

http://futaba8fg.wikidot.com/channel-sl ... r-function

That's pretty much what's already in there!

Latest profile: T8FGS profile v4 for Phantom 2

• I've changed the end points on the gimbal to increase resolution. It was also moving at two different speeds between the three positions on SB. You'll need to recalibrate X1 in the Phantom Assistant as result. To do this make sure you put SB in the middle and then calibrate moving RS only.
  • Since everyone seemed to prefer it, you'll be glad to know I've reversed the gimbal direction on RS and SB.
  • LD now acts as a yaw trim. The normal yaw stick function still works. This just adds or subtracts from it. Very useful for filming. Dial in a nice gradual, steady yaw and then drive with pitch, elevator or throttle. Be careful to leave LD centered when you don't need a continuous yaw!
  • I've moved the MOTOR function to channel 12. It is for switch SB, the gimbal auto-tilt and it doesn't need a real channel. Channel 8 is now free if someone has a need to assign it for something else that does need a real channel.

No further changes. I still have yet to find a variable rate solution for the gimbal auto-tilt. Not sure it exists on the 8FGS. As always, check everything out before flight. I've tested it on the bench but not in the air.

This might be a stupid question but being new to this..... I thought I might ask and get away with it! Does the Futaba 8fgs still do the spread spectrum magic with the stock DJI rx. I did not want to open up the quad and replace rx if not necessary! Any info is appreciated!

keefer said:
This might be a stupid question but being new to this..... I thought I might ask and get away with it! Does the Futaba 8fgs still do the spread spectrum magic with the stock DJI rx. I did not want to open up the quad and replace rx if not necessary! Any info is appreciated!

Yes, the Futaba with the DJI RX still uses the FASST protocol :) You don't have to change the RX, the stock one works very well.

Ianwood, you have created a fabulous profile.

Is it possible to reverse the LD knobs direction. I am playing with this in the assistant and it feels like ergonomically it controls the opposite way.

Just plain and simple ...a freakin great profile...thank you.

I haven't even got my control and I feel I know it well. Kinda like internet dating lol. This is going to make me want to buy a 550 next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody2008 said:
Ianwood, you have created a fabulous profile.

Is it possible to reverse the LD knobs direction. I am playing with this in the assistant and it feels like ergonomically it controls the opposite way.

Just plain and simple ...a freakin great profile...thank you.

You can do it yourself - go to "linkage menu" (double click the top "LNK" button), then go to "Reverse" and select the channel you want to reverse.

Another caution on the yaw sub-trim. If you do not apply any other control input while trimmed (trim not centered), your Phantom will eventually engage the failsafe. This is a new safety feature added to the most recent Naza firmware to prevent stuck radios and receivers causing flyaways. This can happen even on the ground when you spool up the motors. If you see a double blink (Naza mode) on the tail lights without touching the sticks, that means your trim is not zeroed and the same failsafe could happen meaning your Phantom will take off by itself and then land again!

You can safely use the yaw trim for its intended function but you need to apply stick input at least every couple of seconds to keep it from going to failsafe. If you do get a failsafe, just change to ATTI and back to GPS to regain control.

So always check trim before flight. Use the beep to center it. If this freaks you out too much and you don't even want the yaw trim, go into LINKAGE > FUNCTION > RUDDER and set the trim to unassigned.

Thanks for the explanation ianwood.

I might just leave yaw setup like you have it intended.

ianwood said:
Latest profile: T8FGS profile v4 for Phantom 2

• I've changed the end points on the gimbal to increase resolution. It was also moving at two different speeds between the three positions on SB. You'll need to recalibrate X1 in the Phantom Assistant as result. To do this make sure you put SB in the middle and then calibrate moving RS only.
  • Since everyone seemed to prefer it, you'll be glad to know I've reversed the gimbal direction on RS and SB.
  • LD now acts as a yaw trim. The normal yaw stick function still works. This just adds or subtracts from it. Very useful for filming. Dial in a nice gradual, steady yaw and then drive with pitch, elevator or throttle. Be careful to leave LD centered when you don't need a continuous yaw!
  • I've moved the MOTOR function to channel 12. It is for switch SB, the gimbal auto-tilt and it doesn't need a real channel. Channel 8 is now free if someone has a need to assign it for something else that does need a real channel.

No further changes. I still have yet to find a variable rate solution for the gimbal auto-tilt. Not sure it exists on the 8FGS. As always, check everything out before flight. I've tested it on the bench but not in the air.

Thank you! Going to try out the new profile today. :)

Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

If anyone tests how long you can use the LD to continue the yaw uninterrupted...please post your results. Thanks.

...before the failsafe kicks in.... :)

Cody2008 said:
If anyone tests how long you can use the LD to continue the yaw uninterrupted...please post your results. Thanks.

The Naza Assistant says that when the A/E/R input is not in the neutral position for 20 seconds then the Phantom will start hovering, if nothing changes for the next 10 seconds it will go to failsafe.

Kicerk52 said:
Cody2008 said:

The Naza Assistant says that when the A/E/R input is not in the neutral position for 20 seconds then the Phantom will start hovering, if nothing changes for the next 10 seconds it will go to failsafe.

So what you saying is you have 30 sec to turn the knob/LD to the starting position?

extrememc said:
Kicerk52 said:
Cody2008 said:

So what you saying is you have 30 sec to turn the knob/LD to the starting position?

I think 20 seconds is the safe zone, after that the Phantom will stop the turn and just hover, this is when you have to move manually/do something because if you don't then you will loose control (phantom will go to failsafe).

In such case I think it would be a good idea to make the second timer alarm us after 15 seconds or so to end the yaw/ move the knob back into the neutral position :) (set the knob in any not-neutral position as the trigger)

Obviously if you move in any other direction when doing the trim-turn that's not a problem, as the other channels receive constant changing inputs.

Will it go into failsafe if you was yaw/pan with the stick? I was under the impression that you can give the know the exact same action as the stick.

ianwood... I just flew with your new v4 profile. Works great! These profiles of yours just keep getting better and better! :D

re: trim and LD

The logic for using the knob instead of the trim switches themselves is that the knob is easier to center or???

extrememc said:
Will it go into failsafe if you was yaw/pan with the stick? I was under the impression that you can give the know the exact same action as the stick.

The difference is that with the stick it's impossible to hold the exact same position for 20 seconds with your hand. The sticks are very sensitive, with your hand you make small changes all the time, that's why the input changes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT