Sent in my P4 because of beeping sound..DJI is fixing it under warranty

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So you may be aware, I had a RTH failure on my original p4 and crashed, which DJI replaced with a brand new drone( not refurb because its a new serial number without an R at the end). after receiving the new P4 drone on 2/6/17, I noticed a beeping sound I have never heard before. I even sent the below vidoes to DJI tech support and they said they have never seen or heard this sound coming from a p4 before. They insisted me sending it in which I did that week.

Today, I just received an email from DJI repair saying the 'Main control Component" will be replaced under warranty. Interesting because a few on this forum said it was just a distinct sound the engines are making but looks like DJI found the problem. This is great and I'm happy to see DJI taking care of business. Kinda strange sound but I'm hoping when I get it back it is gone and bird will fly perfectly. What does the main control component control in the p4 anyway? Replacing a main control component in this drone sounds like a very important part and this being a new drone too.

here is the video of the sound coming from the drone, if you havent heard it before. second video its not as loud because the bird is farther away but you can still hear it. Second video I rotate the bird around. When I get it back, I will post an update :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Ummm ... bad hearing onset for me ... or the elephant in the room saying "I don't hear no beeping????"

Neither do I.

Yea lol. Well when I sent the video into dji tech support I was on the phone with them and when the tech guy and his manager both watched the video they both heard the beeping. It's 2 beeps a second. Not as loud as the propellers. They were like yea you need to send it in lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Based on many experiences of those in the forum, it's likely you'll get a refurbished/different drone back. Which, is a shame being they sent you a new drone back originally. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yea I explicitly told DJI please no refurb drone. We will see bc when they send it will have the serial number. Silly if it's just one part they should just go ahead and fix it lol

Reactions: jogforfitness
Just curious how you know that the first replacement was new and not refurbished ? What did you mean above when you said it had a "new" serial number ? Do you mean that it had a different serial number ? If they sent you a refurbished unit, seems like it would have a different serial number ? Maybe I'm missing something here ?

Refurb drones end with an R in the serial number. Dji also told me it's a new drone not a replacement. This replacement drone shipped with a new(diff serial number from my first one) and it did not have an R at the end. It also had that new drone smell. New electronic smell :) a refurb drone would have some minor if not major scratches or wear n tear too.

I sent my P4 to dji because of a stress crack. They sent a different drone/different serial number that didn't have a R. There were no stickers on the drone either. I doubt it was new.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

0e7948c70c4d8b4e5a5648e04017414d.jpg

Seems to be the norm around here on the forum. If it comes back with an R it's a refurb.

The new one they sent me did have new stickers all over it. Maybe they forgot to put them on for you...

Still baffles me, a dji tech support rep and a tech support manager both saw the above videos and said they heard the beeping and wanted me to send it in. Well I just hope it's fixed or replaced(with a new one) [emoji16]

If I am understanding what you are hearing, sounds like some harmonic beat.
I used to tune my humming to my parent's vacuum when I was a kid and found it neat to 'detune' my hum slightly to get the beat.
It's also how musicians tune their instruments when not using electronics to do it. Slight beat, slightly out of tune. No beat, in tune.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dramface460
If I am understanding what you are hearing, sounds like some harmonic beat.
I used to tune my humming to my parent's vacuum when I was a kid and found it neat to 'detune' my hum slightly to get the beat.
It's also how musicians tune their instruments when not using electronics to do it. Slight beat, slightly out of tune. No beat, in tune.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hahaha exactly DanMan32, that's what I'm thinking it is too. I must have a musicians ear then and that music class in college has paid off :). I need to take up the piano now [emoji23]

Since it's out of tune, Sounds like replacing the main control component will make it in tune.

Last edited:
Good luck in getting your new drone back. Bet you they already have one set aside to "return" to you. Maybe not.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Well looks like you were right. Just received the email from DJI, they are sending a new drone to me. Different serial number than the one that had the beeping sound. Couldn't be happier with this. I really thought they would just fix it. Can't complain :).

Received my new p4 today. Dji thought the beeping sound was an issue so they sent me a new p4 with a new controller too. New props too. Testing it out tomm so will know how it all goes after the first flight. Took a week to send it back and another week for them to look at it then another half a week to send the replacement p4, then another whole week for shipping back. So a whole month from the time I called them to when I revived the new p4. This p4 has a larger serial number than the last p4 that had beeping so I guess this one may have come off the production line later! All in all very happy with the outcome!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31