RTH after turning remote off went to low and hit a tree

I remember I was having trouble retrieving flight log off on the Ipad, i could export the photo of it but figure out how to export the actual file or csv
If you meant to say that you " can't " figure out how to export, follow the instructions here. It's the same link given earlier in the thread in post 14.

Reactions: JoBe and Dronerman
Are you sure there was an RTH? There is no such data in the log file.

You had 18% Battery left at the end of the log. No battery warnings? Or is this not the correct log??

You had 18% Battery left at the end of the log. No battery warnings? Or is this not the correct log??

I'm fairly certain it is the correct log. Im not 100% sure that it initiated RTH, but it definitely took off and started flying back towards the home point. The drone was disconnected from DJI go as it did this.

" what are the dangers of turning on drone before the remote?"

Pretty well zero as the AC has not initialised with RC and has not flown. So it basically sits there 'dumb'. But it is against established sequential start where most RC is advised to be Controller first. (There are various micro drones such as some WLToys that drone first then controller ... but they are few).

RTH recorded settings. They remain until AC is fully powered down. BUT if the motors are stopped once landed - then AC should not initiate RTH if you switch of RC. But if motors have not been stopped and are idling on the ground - then RTH most likely will initiate if you switch off RC ... because the AC still thinks of itself in FLIGHT mode.

I am known for testing theories etc. - but this one I will not !! Having already paid dearly for testing another default parameter !!

Nigel
I have Witnessed the danger in action and there was a lot of blood- a friend was looking for tail rotor binding and when he turned off the remote the motor went to full throttle- lucky it was only a 450 size heli, the tail rotor blades made a nice mess of theee fingers

Are you sure the tx was turned off? If not, an errant stick input could have caused the accident especially if you weren't holding the controller. . As mentioned above no RTH was shown in the data. Not related probably, but of note, the flight was started with a half charged battery. Not a good practice and could lead to other issues/.

This must not be the correct log. No place does the data show an increase in altitude after landing. And just quickly without charting it, you came basically straight down from ~120ft and landed. End of data.

This must not be the correct log. No place does the data show an increase in altitude after landing. And just quickly without charting it, you came basically straight down from ~120ft and landed. End of data.

Then this must be the log when it landed before taking off again. Im guessing there will be no flight log since the aircraft was disconnected from DJI go app?

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I believe WTB already pointed out correctly that the log would be terminated when the controller was turned off.

My suggestion to post the log was a silly one. Sorry. On the older P2V series, the log would potentially keep going, but they changed it on the P3S when they moved the FPV transceiver inside the controller.

Pull the .DAT log from the Phantom itself. The data should be there. If will be in a FLY.DAT format.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I think it should be one of these, I dont know how to view them

Attachments

• FLY144.DAT
    5.2 MB · Views: 329
  • FLY145.DAT
    1.2 MB · Views: 357
  • FLY146.DAT
    8.3 MB · Views: 372
I have Witnessed the danger in action and there was a lot of blood- a friend was looking for tail rotor binding and when he turned off the remote the motor went to full throttle- lucky it was only a 450 size heli, the tail rotor blades made a nice mess of theee fingers

As I did say - recognised RC procedure is TX (RC) on first ... off last ...

I too have had incidents of uncontrolled model ... and one was a 450 heli as well.

Your friend is very lucky because a 450 heli CAN EASILY kill - its a mean machine to have out of control. Even a 250 or a 150 can do far more damage than many people realise.

But the DJI setup such as the P3 means that the AC if powered up alone - has not initialised to enable uncontrolled action. It only can do that if all was powered up and then connection lost. That has probably saved thousands of 'idiots' from serious consequences !

Nigel

As I did say - recognised RC procedure is TX (RC) on first ... off last ...

I too have had incidents of uncontrolled model ... and one was a 450 heli as well.

Your friend is very lucky because a 450 heli CAN EASILY kill - its a mean machine to have out of control. Even a 250 or a 150 can do far more damage than many people realise.

But the DJI setup such as the P3 means that the AC if powered up alone - has not initialised to enable uncontrolled action. It only can do that if all was powered up and then connection lost. That has probably saved thousands of 'idiots' from serious consequences !

Nigel
It does seem like an oversight by futaba, spectrum and others that turning off the tx might cause the rx to command full throttle. The other occasion I saw this happen was in a nitro model boat, the thing took off and ended up destroying itself.

I have a lot of respect for my 600 and 700 helis, esp when flying with CF blades- if they break pieces travel a long way and with great force.

Curiosity got the better of me today- I landed the P3 about 100 from the recorded home point and left it powered up. I let it drain down to 22% and it didn’t try and head home. Turned off the controller. It just sat there happily. Maybe they have fixed something in firmware?

I’m not going to try it with the P4...

All Heli flyers have the dance of death at times ... you spin up and instead of heli gracefully lifting, it decides to tilt and dig one blade into ground ! Then starts the horrible dance of twisted blades and holders ... with often a blade shedding and flying incredible distance.

I actually had to pull a GF 450 part blade out of the tree it stuck itself into.

Sobering experiences .....

A point to note for those who are new to the game :

Things not realised by newbies - is the more dangerous aspect of E-Motors over fuel powered.

If a prop of an E-Motor gets stalled by say a finger ... that E-Motor tries to keep going and pulls ever more power to do it. As you remove finger - it has another go at you. Allied to the fact that most E-props are thinner and more like razors.
A fuel engine will stall and stop once you get caught in it. So you only get 'bitten' once.

An E-motor does not have to primed - started etc. same as a fuel motor. On most E-RC - a simple accidental touch of throttle can have terrible results. So its common in RC to have a throttle cut function. Amazing how often that gets forgotten by even most experienced flyers !
Fuel motors of course require starting sequence and don't have that problem. Plus its audibly obvious engine is running !

I have on occasion fallen foul of not removing battery from oned model before flying another. Most Tx's as you know do not have Model Match to isolate model memory to specific model.
One incident I remember was my Cessna flown and parked. I power up T45 and BOTH move out when throttle advanced !! Lucky the Cessna hit my field box and stopped.
Another was when trying to sort a problem with one of my 450 Heli's ... I was in my large party room ... I couldn't sort so I stupidly switched model slot on the radio .......... WOW ... it took of like a screaming banshee ... hit ceiling ... bounced of TV ... whizzed past my left ear near singeing it ... and tangled itself in Wifes Xmas tree she had only setup that day ...
All the dogs and cats ran and hid when she came in and saw what had happened !! I of course paid the ultimate penalty for that one !!

Nigel

I think it should be one of these, I dont know how to view them
You got the .dat files by using your mobile, to tell the app, to download flight data, then you had your PC hooked to the Phantom with USB cable to the front of the Phantom not near the camera but near the logo on the front.

The files are to small, you have to share them with a dropbox, google drive, etc.

Rod

Oh, sorry I wasn't around sooner, if the remote is off, there is not going to any data to look at, I guess we confirmed that ether remote was turned off and or the app. :rolleyes: :D

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z