Rotating the GPS Module to correct J Hook/Drifting ??

Reaction score
I searched for this topic but couldn't find one.

Re: the drifting/J-Hook issues.

Has anyone tried to unscrew and rotate the compass module to compensate for the deviation in your area? One could easily use double sided tape to reattach the module to the shell.

Since we all know about the compass issue, what about playing with the GPS Module instead?

Very curious about this!

Partially true but The Gps Module is installed so that there is a front portion which is factory installed to face forward. I believe there is even an arrow or mark on the module which needs to be facing forward. If the forward position of the module is rotated then the flight controller will be fooled to think that the module is still pointing forward when in fact it is pointing in the direction of the magnetic deviation of your area.

Maybe ianwood will chime in. He would probably be able to explain the theory in more precise details.

You out there Ian?

I think you are misunderstanding - it makes no difference to the output of the GPS module which direction it is facing (as long as its antennas have a clear view of the sky). There is no way for the FC to know how the GPS module is oriented, and it does not care how it is oriented. The local magnetic field is irrelevant since the GPS does not detect or measure magnetic field strength or direction.

I'm sure that there are directional arrows on those versions of the GPS module that also contain an internal compass, because then the orientation is critical, but the Phantom GPS module has no internal compass.

sar104 is correct. The GPS receiver has no notion of orientation. On other Naza platforms, the only reason they rotate their GPS puck is because it also houses the compass.

ianwood said:
sar104 is correct. The GPS receiver has no notion of orientation. On other Naza platforms, the only reason they rotate their GPS puck is because it also houses the compass.

i stand corrected. +1 sar104

Thanks Ian and sar

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel