New wifi module on the way. Questions.

Reaction score
New, udated (holes) version wifi module on the way for my P2V+. Old, dead one is not vented. Once the new one is installed, I will re-bind the range extender to the new module using the new ID sticker on module, correct?

Currently the code sticker on the bottom of the bird, matches the code on the wifi module. So, will the old sticker on the bottom of the bird have any meaning now? or will the new module address be the only thing used?

Hoping that I dont have to fight the old module double-sided tape. Wondering what is under there? Can I easily clean up the old tape residue?

I read that self heating is what causes this module to fail, but I wonder how much of that is really from the module itself, or how much heat it gets from being above the battery?

Don't plan on doing any mods to the new one, just install and bind. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks,

Dayton in VA.

Just removed the Wi-Fi module, crazy hard to loose it. Careful so the main board not brakes. Nothing under, just clean backside.

New, udated (holes) version wifi module on the way for my P2V+. Old, dead one is not vented. Once the new one is installed, I will re-bind the range extender to the new module using the new ID sticker on module, correct?

Currently the code sticker on the bottom of the bird, matches the code on the wifi module. So, will the old sticker on the bottom of the bird have any meaning now? or will the new module address be the only thing used?

Hoping that I dont have to fight the old module double-sided tape. Wondering what is under there? Can I easily clean up the old tape residue?

I read that self heating is what causes this module to fail, but I wonder how much of that is really from the module itself, or how much heat it gets from being above the battery?

Don't plan on doing any mods to the new one, just install and bind. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks,

Dayton in VA.

The QR code on the phantom will be useless. The new wifi module should come with 2 additional spare stickers. The MAC address is also printed on the module. Write the last 6 digits on the phantom for manual binding process.

I use adhesive Velcro instead of double sided tape.

The modules fail because of poor dissipation from the paste DJI have used. The module gets extremely hot if the props aren't spinning. So if you let the phantom idle and transfer files via wifi, this will cause the module to deteriorate. Some will argue with me, but I think boosting the module for range also overheats the module. The only fix for this is preventative measure - replace the existing white spoof paste with artic silver 5 for better dissipation. The same white spoof paste is used in the new V3 perforated module.

DJI should have added an active fan to keep the module cool.

Like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

J Dot
Work smart, Not hard!
:cool:

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Hello RCBill,
I got the parts from ( DIGIKEY.com )

If you have a p2v non plus, you'll need this plug
( plus model already has this plug we can use )
Part # 455-1593-Nd ( GH 3 pin connector )
image.png

Ok
Now the GH connector requires 2 ( but buy more as they are easily broken ) pins.

Part # 455-1607-1-Nd ( GH pins )
image.png

Ok,
Now there are 2 fans I chose ( ultimately picked the BLOWER fan ) as it seemed more focused on the board and components, where regular fan just blew into battery compartment. But here is both.

Blower fan
Part # 259-1444-Nd ( blower fan ) 5vdc
image.png

Regular fan
Part # 259-1557-Nd ( regular fan )
image.png

Ok
Now the funny part, it plugs into the FAN PORT ( lol )
image.jpeg

You'll use the 2 outside pins ( as plus model already uses center pin ) looking at picture ( LEFT PIN ( Pos.5vdc ), RIGHT PIN ( Neg. )) center pin ( Neg as well ).
I hot glued my fan onto side of phantom bottom half, directly over a vent hole, and the blower blows straight up through a cutout on mainboard, and directly onto top board and components! Does not blow a LOT, but DEFINATELY makes a difference, especially on plus model, to keep wifi module cool!

You will need a crimper, I use Engineer pa-09 ( eBay ) around $15 us, you'll need them to crimp the pins to fan leads!

That is it,
Fans are quite expensive, that is why I quit making them! Wish they were cheaper!

Hope this helps!
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Awesome. I'll be trying it. Yes the fan connector is Funny.
All my searching reading and watching videos this never came up ( Classified ) Lol
I did a 110v fan on my High intensity light hood for my salt water fish tank several years ago.
Great idea Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic