Rotating phone/tablet for better video stream.

With range extenders to fly further, switching your tablet around to get increased video feed from further out I have to ask this question. I have 20/20 vision but can only maintain VLOS for about 1600 ft, is there really a bionic eye that lets you see further? I want to know the secret cause I want to be legal like everyone else. Thanks in advance.

Here are my bionic eyes. My wife Was watching with binoculars

Attachments

• 25239022-1B40-4ACF-95CF-0D584F4D0813.jpeg
    25239022-1B40-4ACF-95CF-0D584F4D0813.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 281
Reactions: trevornewkirk
And?........ Why?.......... That was not the OP's question on the "home" button, the range was a statement. Waste of a post since it was not detailed in the explanation. Drives me nuts when people do this.

What did I not explain? I mentioned that I got better distance by rotating my phone in the cradle. I gave the distance I was losing my video feed before and after rotating the iPad. I posted a screenshot as proof. The only thing I didn’t mention was that I flew close to the exact route both times.
I posted this tip that worked for me to hopefully help someone else. I never imagined I would get these kind of replies.

Reactions: texsam and Pharm
Tkogllin, I feel I should apologize for some of the replies you have received. The antenna on your tablet is on the side of the tablet. Rotating the tablet would place the antenna in a position that would increase the theoretical receiving distance. This is because the electronics of the tablet would not be between the antenna and the drone. I would hope that members would not be in such a hurry to criticize members that are trying to help. Thank you for your post. It will help a lot of members who have tablets with side antennas.

What did I not explain? I mentioned that I got better distance by rotating my phone in the cradle.
It was the wording of the explanation that was the issue. When you mentioned the "home" button, with the screen shot, one would naturally "assume" that the "home" button on the screen is what you were referencing. @Ansia provided a better explanation to your reference.

Reactions: linda and Ansia
This is because the electronics of the tablet would not be between the antenna and the drone.
The antenna on a standard RC is in the center of the RC, not like the other RC's with dual antenna's. Rotating the tablet should have no bearing on reception or transmission in that instance.

I would hope that members would not be in such a hurry to criticize members that are trying to help.
The only criticism in this instance was the wording of the description. A simple change in wording would have eliminated confusion, and led to a completely different response.

Do you reckon there is any difference between a Samsung and iphone, in reception?
I can't answer that question, because I don't know the layout of the antennas for both phones. I chose the iphone to represent what I ment, because it's easier to understand.

For those that are wondering - I tried the same thing today flying with my iPhone 7+

I got the same same additional added range putting the iPhone’s home button on the left instead of on the right.

Not sure if this works just on iPhones/iPads? I don’t have an android device to test it on yet.

Come on folks. Let’s stay on topic here and not get caught up in semantics that could skew us off topic. The question that was put out is merely does the orientation of the tablet, iPhone, or android affect the signal? I know there is an antenna inside of every device, but I don’t know whether that antenna is on the left side, right side, top, or bottom. It only makes sense that if the antenna is in the proper position, that you would get the best signal. But I am not about to take my iPad apart to find out where the antenna is at.

Reactions: Tkoglin
Did you also try the same test with airplane mode (wifi and cellular off) on you iPad? If that also gives you this range, I think the answer is wireless intereference.

As this is a P3 Standard, you need WiFi as unlike other Phantom controllers, there isn't a cable between the controller and the viewing device (iPad).

Let me just reiterate something. A P3S uses WiFi from the controller to the iPad. The video signal does not come directly from the P3S to the iPad.

So changing the orientation of the iPad does not directly affect the reviving of the video from the P3S except for perhaps not overwhelming the controllers receiver with the iPad's WiFi signal "noise", thus allowing better reception of the P3S video by the controller. Or possibly the metal in the iPad (due to it's orientation) might be affecting the received signal from the P3.

Geez you all sound like 'you tubers' first the first post referred to the placement of the phone. If placing the phone one way or the other in the holder helps range that could because of where the phones antenna is, in relation to the drones controllers. Second, you want a strong connection which is equal to a longer range, NOT to necessarily fly a longer range and break the law, but too have a solid communication link when you are out flying close to prevent interference from other electromagnetic information.

Hee Guys, whats up. If it works for the OP nothing wrong with that. Maybe we should try it out ourselves to see if there is an increase of signal. I personaly am in the market for any possible solution to resolve bad signals, regarding if the solution make sense or not. From this place OP thx for your contribution. [emoji106]

Hi Tkoglin,
This is actually interesting, sorry that some get kind of unruly on here, I hope people would treat each other as friends , not as enemies..
I also fly with an iPad 6th gen. and flew with my iPad with the button facing the right side, I guess because i'm right handed, but the next time I fly I want to give this a shot for myself. Thanks for posting this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj