Reaction score
So I have this Phantom. It has a Battery. Lasts around 20 minutes or so. Also have a car charger to charge away from home. I am in the market for an extra battery or three. My question is how long of a cool down time is sufficient, adequate, and or responsible for the longevity of the drone's precious brushless motors and other electrical components onboard? I want to make sure I allow enough cooldown time between batteries as not to provoke the premature demise of my most beloved quadcopter. Is this necessary or can the drone dissipate heat something like the 100% duty cycle of a car's cooling system? Also what is a reasonable price for a genuine DJI phantom battery?

the drone can handle flying for hours at a time. Of course, you want to pay attention to the ambient temp limits that DJI sets. I hear of a lot of issues when flying in very hot weather, like upper 90's F (35c). The batteries are your biggest concern. make sure they are cool to the touch before recharging them.
Dji batteries are usually around $130 USD, or $149 USD on the dji store.
Do NOT buy aftermarket batteries. These look really legit but it will usually say "For Dji" somewhere in the ad. The quality of them is very questionable from what I hear.

the drone can handle flying for hours at a time. Of course, you want to pay attention to the ambient temp limits that DJI sets. I hear of a lot of issues when flying in very hot weather, like upper 90's F (35c). The batteries are your biggest concern. make sure they are cool to the touch before recharging them.
Do NOT buy aftermarket batteries. These look really legit but it will usually say "For Dji" somewhere in the ad. The quality of them is very questionable from what I hear.

Hmmm I don't know if I got lucky, but I got a pair of aftermarket batteries for around 100 or so dollars and they seem to be the same quality as my 2 DJI Brand batteries. Same runtime, good voltage across all cells, and yadda yadda.

Hmmm I don't know if I got lucky, but I got a pair of aftermarket batteries for around 100 or so dollars and they seem to be the same quality as my 2 DJI Brand batteries. Same runtime, good voltage across all cells, and yadda yadda.

I have heard a lot of stories about how they will "disconnect" spontaneously and your drone falls from the sky. As with anything when you play with these toys, there are going to be anomalies. Some aftermarket batteries could be amazing and the "best thing ever". Some DJI batteries will be junk right out of the box. I am merely passing on things I have read. I am a big fan of using genuine parts for my things. I have fewer headaches and fly more.

I have heard a lot of stories about how they will "disconnect" spontaneously and your drone falls from the sky. As with anything when you play with these toys, there are going to be anomalies. Some aftermarket batteries could be amazing and the "best thing ever". Some DJI batteries will be junk right out of the box. I am merely passing on things I have read. I am a big fan of using genuine parts for my things. I have fewer headaches and fly more.
Haha that is always true ;-; bad habit I thought for the "cheaper" P3S. All 4 of my Phantom 4 batteries are genuine.

Thanks for the response, not sure where you are located. However where I live in southern Ohio very close to the river, this time of year >90 farenheit and unbelievably high humidity is a given. That in mind, do you think I should allow a cool down period in between batteries? Would it be necessary to allow the P3S time to dissipate heat between use of multiple DJI Genuine batteries when flying instances are taking place in +90f temperatures with high humidity? Or is you statement regarding the internal anode and cathode temp of the battery in regard to its discharge chemistry? I don't know a whole lot about lithium polymer galvanic cells but if I understand you correctly the thermodynamics of the battery and electrolyte chemistry are the issue more so than the heat duty cycle of the quadcopter's components?

I've run 6 batteries back to back on multiple occasions. No problems.p3p. Doing it f o r more than two years. These things are actually pretty tough bugs. I've crashed them, mown hedges, and flown in the rain. I live on the north coast, so salt air and fog are regular events. Just finished beach combing by the jetty ... Solid mile and a half range. Enjoy them, just keep an eye on your HUD.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl