REI Hiking Backpack fits Phantom 4

Reaction score
I'm a new Phantom 4 owner and I'm going hiking in Aspen in a few weeks and want to take my drone with me. My plan is to carry the Phantom foam case onto the plane with me, but I needed a backpack for hiking 14ers that would fit the drone and have enough support and room that I could fit some layered clothing, food and water. While there were a few backpacks that may have worked (main
Manfrotto MB BP-D1 DJI Professional Video Equipment Cases Drone Backpack) on Amazon, they did not provide me enough support and pockets for other things. I went to REI to search for a backpack that was not top loading, but would fit the drone. Here's what I came up with, but there's 1 leg that sticks out.

Is that going to be a problem? Any suggestions from more experience drone folks is certainly appreciated and please tell me if I'm foolish doing this.

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_2955.jpg
    IMG_2955.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 937
  • IMG_2956.jpg
    IMG_2956.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 920
  • IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 986
  • IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,007
I concur, I wouldn't be hiking 14 hours with that sticking out the side.The Manfrotto D1 is an excellent pack and will hold more then just the aircraft and accessories but indeed perhaps not 14 hours worth.

What you may need is something like the 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 (with DJI insert) that is covered with Mollie loops so that you can attach additional packs for clothing, food and whatever else you can think of. It already has a compartment for a hydration pack but you can also get Mollie compatible water bottle pouches to hang on it. I have a Rush 12 that I use for my daily carry when I'm going to be away all day. The series is built well and has a ton of features.

5.11 Rush 72 Military Grade DJI Phantom 4 Backpack (Black)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Vaughan
My plan is to have some clothing and additional padding in the pack and it will be tied tightly so it shouldn't be sliding. I honestly was more worried about the controller ....now I'll have to do a dry run with the things I'm taking......full pictures will follow...

I watch Casey Neistat on youtube with these drones and he has them in tiny backpacks while skateboarding..... I thought maybe the foam was overkill but I guess not.

A 14 hour hike is a long track. You're likely going to have the pack on and off your back a couple times so you just want to make sure that the bird doesn't take any impact. You also have to be concerned about weather. If you're going to have an arm sticking out make sure that it's is protected from the elements. In fact, it's probably not a bad idea to have a rain cover for your backpack if there is any chance at all that you'll encounter showers.

My plan is to have some clothing and additional padding in the pack and it will be tied tightly so it shouldn't be sliding. I honestly was more worried about the controller ....now I'll have to do a dry run with the things I'm taking......full pictures will follow....
The roomiest backpack I've found while being airline compliant for carry on is the Think Tank Helipak. It comes with a rain guard too in case you get caught in a storm. It's got a waist belt which I find essential for long hikes. Some of the packs don't have that. ProCraft makes something very similar as Think Tank for half the price, but I've never seen one in person, they look nice though. Others seem to like them.

I flew my P3P at 12,000' ASL at Loveland Pass, CO last Sept, it flew just fine, and there was about a 20mph wind also. You'll get some great video up there on top of 14K' mountains, I'm envious.

He's going to be climbing a mountain that's 14,000' high. That's what a 14er is. But is could take 14hrs. Hah!

I should have another drink. But in full disclosure even if I wasn't drinking, I would not have known that.

He's going to be climbing a mountain that's 14,000' high. That's what a 14er is. But it could take 14hrs. Hah!

Not everyone knows the term so I was just going to let it go because you're correct - some of my climbs have taken 14 hours. :)

I've just bought the polarpro Trekker backpack...fits P4...controller...spare batteries...very happy....I'll put some pics up

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've just bought the polarpro Trekker backpack...fits P4...controller...spare batteries...very happy....I'll put some pics up
I don't recommend throwing two LiPo batteries together into one compartment. If you fly on airlines and your case interior gets inspected, this breaks their rules for individual protection from shorting. You need each battery to have it's own compartment, protecting it from touching other things in the backpack.

Here's how Think Tank solves it, with 10 compartments. By the way, they just reduced the price on the Think Tank website to $200, don't buy from Amazon ($240)
upload_2016-6-5_10-14-54.png

these backpacks does not make ANY sence. im looking for backpack to fit P4 with original case

I don't recommend throwing two LiPo batteries together into one compartment. If you fly on airlines and your case interior gets inspected, this breaks their rules for individual protection from shorting. You need each battery to have it's own compartment, protecting it from touching other things in the backpack.

Here's how Think Tank solves it, with 10 compartments. By the way, they just reduced the price on the Think Tank website to $200, don't buy from Amazon ($240)
View attachment 56110

Thanks for the tip...ill put a divider in now!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Check out the microraptor backpack and case combo. I absolutely love mine.

Just so everyone is aware, here is what I decided to do with the P4 in the mountains. I had this backpack and thank you for everyone who made suggestions. It really helped.

I took a pool noodle and cut it to protect the motors. This backpack and everything saved the bird from rain, dirt and snow while on the trail. If you want to see some of the videos I took, I uploaded them to my youtube channel. Gary Vaughan

Attachments

• IMG_4508.JPG
    IMG_4508.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 673
  • IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 677
  • IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 747

Members online

Forum statistics