Regrets buying P4 over the Mavic?

Reaction score
I have a P3 pro and thinking about getting a P4 or the Mavic. Part of me wants the P4 however the Mavic is also on the list. We like to travel and the Mavic would be better because of its size. Have any of you regret getting the P4? Is there much difference in video quality between the two? Any suggestions are appreciated .

Nope - moved to P4 from a P3S even though the mavic was released. The P4 is still more wind resistant and none of the high fps video issues on the mavic. Although if I had a P3P I would get the mavic (or P4P if you have the cash) over the P4 - the extra P4 obstacle avoidance isn't that big an upgrade IMO.

I have a P3P, and a Mavic.. my neighbor has a P4 and is always asking to fly my Mavic.. in fact, he just dropped his P4 off at my house and took my Mavic on vacation with him.. LOL

Another vote for the Mavic (keep the P3P too). The P3P is still a great bird. Use the P3P for cases where you want the better camera - the Mavic when you want the extra portability. Also - my experience is that the stock Mavic has a little better range than my Itelite DBS02 modded P3P. My luck with horizon tilt on the Mavic has also been good. P4 is a fine drone - but not much benny for the P4 vs P3P in my opinion.

I know the P4 pro camera is better than on the P3 pro and than on the Mavic. How does the Mavic camera compare to the P4?

To be fair, my neighbor is no professional - neither am I for that matter.. Neither of us do anything that would turn a profit with our drones, we just like to fly and take pics and video on vacation.. I showed him my video I took with my P3P when I was in the Maldives in November and a week later he comes over with a P4.. about a month after that I found a Mavic in stock in California and had it next day delivered.. we'd both go to a park nearby to fly and I've taken it out with us when we go fishing.. he loves his P4, but I think he enjoys flying my Mavic more.. I'm considering selling my P3P because I barely use it these days.. I suppose if I had a professional use for a drone or needed the higher resolution and better camera I'd have a P4P..

Although I like my P4, I wouldn't recommend it to buy new, especially if you have a P3P. Either get the P4P, or the Mavic, simply for the distance. P4 has a weak controller (GL300C) and you'll have to modify it to be happy. I had to buy an Inspire controller to fly my P4 to get the same range as my P3P. I don't use amps to boost signal and I get 2+miles with windsurfer. The cameras on the P3P and P4 are about the same, and those are better than the Mavic. My Mavic is a kick to fly, great range, good flight duration, but the camera isn't as capable. ND filters help, but it cannot deal with the sun in the same way due to the small lens, apparently. The 78 degree FOV of Mavic and the focus requirements have presented issues that I don't have with my P3P or P4. The portability of the Mavic is really nice for travel, and it's quieter to fly. When the new wireless goggles are released for Mavic, that's going to be very cool to connect to the drone. Since it's wireless communications direct from the craft to the goggle, I think you can have more than one set of goggles linked so multiple people can watch your flight simultaneously. You can't do that with any other drone. I think the goggles are being released later this month.

Last edited:
You use your drone about the same way I use mine. That is why I am torn on which way to go. My eyesight is not the best as a result of my age and if I get the Mavic I would have to fly it with my IPad mini. Does your friend like to fly the Mavic because of it's size or video quality? Does he fly it with an iPhone or with an iPad?

You use your drone about the same way I use mine. That is why I am torn on which way to go. My eyesight is not the best as a result of my age and if I get the Mavic I would have to fly it with my IPad mini. Does your friend like to fly the Mavic because of it's size or video quality? Does he fly it with an iPhone or with an iPad?

I believe he uses an iPhone 6S Plus.. I use an iPhone 7 Plus, myself.. he just says it's more fun for him.. we don't really discuss reasons as we're hobby flyers and not using for anything other than having fun or getting pics of landscape and such.. he says it's just a quicker feel for him, from getting it into the air to breakdown (just fold the legs) and leaving.. you can essentially launch from anywhere..

How does the Mavic camera compare to the P4

Generally on par, with slightly better low light performance. However when you shoot over 30fps you can get bad aliasing as a result of the camera dji uses (you can search for this - it doesn't seem to bother many people and only becomes apparent in certain circumstances).

Between the P4 and Mavic - it's a no-brainer. The P4 cam is not that much better than the Mavic, but the Mavic is infinitely more versatile.

For what it's worth, I had a Mavic on order but decided to wait until the Mavic 2 comes out. I figure that the P4 is at this time the "drone classique", with nearly all issues ironed out, while the Mavic still struggles with childhood diseases.

Camera and image processing issues being the most obvious: purple fringing, jello, moiré and digital aliasing, especially in dark areas. The corners and edges in the Mavic footage have a pretty poor definition compared with the P4. It may not at all be noticeable for a casual viewer, but a friend of mine has a Mavic and I can almost 100% identify the footage taken with his Mavic by the edge softness.

Also not being able to use my full-sized iPad to fly would be a total deal-breaker for me - I wouldn't want to go back to using a tiny phone screen again. The iPad Mini would probaby be OK, but I would then need to buy one... I guess the new wireless goggles would be better, but those are certainly not cheap and I just cannot justify spending more money on this hobby. BTW, you can pick up a P4 with two extra batteries for less than a single Mavic.

The P4 is indeed a bit of a hassle to haul around, but if you are aiming for more than just casual selfies with your mates, I would think that it is still worth it. A perfect solution would be to have both - the Mavic when you need mobility and the P4 when you need solid image performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: greenhut
I have a p4 and my friend has a mavic. We've taken turns flying each one back to back, and this is what I've come up with.

It was a windy day so that was a good test. The p4 definitely handles higher winds better and stabilizes better. The p4 is a lot faster and more fun to fly. From the pictures and videos we took it seems that the p4 has the better camera. So the p4 won all of that.

He had his mavic in his girlfriend's purse and I had the huge dji p4 backpack. That alone made me want to get a mavic.

But now that I've flown and played with the mavic, I don't think I'd give up the p4 for the mavic. I'd just like to get a mavic for hikes and travelling. Too bad I'm not that rich. Lol

Reactions: Tony Sutho
Just bought the P4 and came close to getting the Mavic but after doing a lot of reading online decided the P4 was a better fit for me as an amateur pilot. I'm absolutely loving it had a 33,000 ft flight on Sunday and really getting the hang of it. I am sure I will wish I bought the Mavic when packing up for a vacation and wanting to throw the drone in my carry on. Other than that I think they are pretty comparable. I have been using my iPad Pro 9.7 with sunshade and can't imaging a better screen experience.

Although I like my P4, I wouldn't recommend it to buy new, especially if you have a P3P. Either get the P4P, or the Mavic, simply for the distance. P4 has a weak controller (GL300C) and you'll have to modify it to be happy. I had to buy an Inspire controller to fly my P4 to get the same range as my P3P. I don't use amps to boost signal and I get 2+miles with windsurfer. The cameras on the P3P and P4 are about the same, and those are better than the Mavic. My Mavic is a kick to fly, great range, good flight duration, but the camera isn't as capable. ND filters help, but it cannot deal with the sun in the same way due to the small lens, apparently. The 74 degree FOV of Mavic and the focus requirements have presented issues that I don't have with my P3P or P4. The portability of the Mavic is really nice for travel, and it's quieter to fly. When the new wireless goggles are release for Mavic, that's going to be very cool to connect to the drone. Since it's wireless communications direct from the craft to the goggle, I think you can have more than one set of goggles linked so multiple people can watch your flight simultaneously. You can't do that with any other drone. I think the goggles are being released later this month.

I think to say that P4 controller is weak is not really accurate. I followed discussions when those were actual and there is no real facts that P4´s controller can be called "weak". I followed your "lab" testing but it was not in "real situation" flight. That other guys direct testing between gl300a and gl300c controller in real world flying using with P4 made no difference at all.

I have P4 with original gl300c and controller is not weak at all in my experience, on the contrary I would say that my remote is great. Things that influence connection the most are your position and sight.

I am just seeng you telling this in multiple places, I dont think you have facts that support that really.

Reactions: Gunsession

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl