RC Question

hph

Reaction score
Asked this over on P3 Std/4k Forum. Received no reply. So, I'll try here.

Re the subject, on the top rear of the controller, there is a USB port with an individual cover. If one unscrews the 4 1.5mm hex head screws, the USB board can be seen.

There is a single, fairly narrow ribbon cable running from the main board to the USB board.

How is the cable loosened w/o damaging the cable or the small port that secures it?

I've never run across a ribbon cable port like the one on the USB board.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Hey John and thanks.

Yep, I read the manual. I connect my iPhone to the P3 4k drone via wi-fi.

I also have a P3A, and the iPhone, iPad, whatever is hard wired into the rear of the RC via a USB cable, unlike the P3 4k.

The micro-USB port on the back of the P3 4k's RC is not for wi-fi connecting. The manual says it's a "reserved port." But the board it's on sure has a ribbon cable running from the main board up to it. I can see wires in the board running from the cable port to the USB port.

So, do you or anyone know what that might be for? I'm thinking it might be for some camera output recording device. The manual gives no clue.

However, it's the ribbon cable port on the USB board that is my problem. I cannot fathom how to safely remove the cable from its port to be able to install the Itelite antenna mod.

The three connections for it go on the main board, which is in the other half of the RC. To get to them, I have to separate the two halves of the RC. To do that I have to remove that ribbon cable from the USB board.

Any more suggestions from you or any other denizen of this forum?

Leave that USB port alone. You may void the warranty if you muck with something you're not suppose to, taking things apart. That USB is reserved for DJI until they say otherwise, likely to pull data from your RC if you return the craft and RC for warranty repair. You should post your P3S stuff in the P3S section like you did originally. That group will know more about your P3S than people here in the P3A/P section. But don't mess with the USB on that P3S RC. The clue is when they state it's reserved. :p

Last edited:
Leave that USB port alone. You may void the warranty if you muck with something you're not suppose to, taking things apart. That USB is reserved for DJI until they say otherwise, likely to pull data from your RC if you return the craft and RC for warranty repair. You should post your P3S stuff in the P3S section like you did originally. That group will know more about your P3S than people here in the P3A/P section. But don't mess with the USB on that P3S RC. The clue is when they state it's reserved. :p
John I think the OP is likely aware the range MOD may present warranty issues. It’s easy to butcher these delicate connections but all should be good with a little care and patience. I suspect this article may prove useful Recognizing & Disconnecting Cable Connectors

Reactions: KongWerks
John I think the OP is likely aware the range MOD may present warranty issues. It’s easy to butcher these delicate connections but all should be good with a little care and patience. I suspect this article may prove useful Recognizing & Disconnecting Cable Connectors
Hah, I missed the part in bold about installing the Itelite. :eek: I must have been interrupted during the read. You're right, he's way past that decision to void the warranty.

Hah, I missed the part in bold about installing the Itelite. :eek: I must have been interrupted during the read. You're right, he's way past that decision to void the warranty.

The HDMI module, containing the USB port for hard wiring to the iPhone/whatever, and a mini- and mico-USB part for the P3A or the P3P is readily available.
However, DJI, for some unknown reason, has not made the P3S/P3 4k micro-USB directly available to the public. Each of those two boards occupies the same place in their respective RCs.

I called Drone Nerds down in FL and talked to one of the techs. In order to get the 4k USB board replaced, I would have to pay $60 for inspection fee, a $60 minimum repair fee, plus the full cost of the board and shipping both ways.

I told him I could get an new replacement P3 4k RC with the entire works for $160-180 from eBay or other sellers who were not "an approved DJI Repair Station." He said, "A lot of DJI equipment owners do just that." He also said, "If you're an approved DJI repair station, you're bound by commitments to DJI to not allow sale to the public of most parts."

To get something fixed requiring just one of those small, blockaded parts, you have to pay out the nose from sending the equipment in and paying exorbitant prices for just one simple repair. IMMHO, that's a very unfair practice.

NC has introduced a law in the State House to forbid such a practice by DJI, Apple, and others. I've contacted my representative to the SC State House to consider doing the same.

I cannot fathom how to safely remove the cable from its port to be able to install the Itelite antenna mod.
Have you seen any YT videos to install the itelite kit in the P3S? I didn't even know the itelite antenna was compatible with P3S, but I don't follow the P3S thread much. Does MaxxUAS say the itelite antenna is compatible? If yes, there must be some videos that can help you. Those flat delicate ribbon cables can be disconnected in the module, but you have to know how to release them from those tiny connectors.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen the vids for Itelite mod on the P3S. There are several on YouTube. I finally found a vid which shows how you loosen that ribbon cable.

You carefully lift the black object in the front of the connection port. Do NOT try to move any of the whitish plastic port shell. It breaks easily. I know!!! Cyanoacrylate quick stuff does a good repair job.

The YouTube vid I found dealt with the installation of the HGMI module on certain P3 TXs. It showed exactly how to release both that ribbon and the two very small ribbons on either side of the USB or the HDMI board.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj