RC issue after firmware update??

Reaction score
Hi all! New to posting in forum after some time of lurking around and gleaning info from everyone...but I now have an issue that I can't find an answer for.

I'm flying a P3P, have had it about 15 months with few issues. I've updated it regularly and now have run into an issue. After not flying it for a short time, I recently got a message via DJIgo app that firmware must be updated, which I did via the app connected to the RC. After the update, my RC doesn't seem to work. The leftmost LED is now solid red and won't change. It also appears to have comm link to the aircraft, but no data transfer (no camera to app, no battery data, etc)

I've attempted to re-install firmware via the app, but the app says the latest firmware was installed (P3P_FW_V01.11.0020.bin) and won't do anything. I've also tried to delete the file, download again, format card and extract again into the root directory.... I'm running out of ideas.

Help? How do I fix what appears to be a corrupt update to the RC firmware??

Thanks in advance

Look for videos on re linking the aircraft to the controller. I believe it is necessary after certain uodates

Note - this post is specific to the P3A and P3P, though some of it applies to P3S FW 1.9.20 as well.

With the release of FW v1.11.20, two things in particular need close attention. The need for Re-linking is expected to be common following this update, and this update introduces forced flight distance restrictions (height of 30M / distance of 50M) unless specific steps are followed.

If you don't remove the flight restrictions, it will feel as if you are stuck in beginner mode.

Re-linking

The release notes (see below) this time specifically suggest relinking if the RC and AC are disconnected post updating. It may not always be needed, but since DJI called it out ahead of time they clearly expect a disconnect will be relatively common. This has proven to be true since we have seen many disconnects reported here on the forum even though the release notes already suggest a fix. Note: some have reported general connection and video issues which have also been corrected with relinking after this update. Some have also reported that relinking has helped after updating to the latest AC FW even when they already had a green "linked" light on their RC.

To do a relink (some say rebind), see the video below for the normal relink process. If you don't have access to the app, you can try the manual relink process.

Flight Distance Restrictions
The release notes (see below) specifically mention the flight restrictions (height of 30M / distance of 50M) originally announced in May 2017. If you don't remove the restrictions, it will feel as if you are stuck in beginner mode.

Also introduced with this FW but not mentioned in the release notes (though also announced in May) is the disabling of live streaming your FPV video to the internet.

Removing the forced flight restrictions:

The forced restrictions (Distance limits and Live Streaming) can be removed by following specific steps.

Once you have the RC and the AC updates installed (instructions here), then open the app, sign out and sign in again (while online) to "register" the app which will remove the flight restrictions. This is supposed to be a one time thing, so do it ahead of time before you go out to fly. Note however that many people have now reported the restrictions return even after registering the app. Watch for that so you're not surprised. Along with signing out and signing in, some have also had to delete and reinstall the app to remove the restrictions. Don't forget to sync flight records before deleting the app or they will be lost. Once reinstalled, resync and your records will be back.

Note: The release notes call out specific app versions as well. Also, as always you should check your settings as some may revert to default during the FW update process.

Additional important notes:

If only your app is updated but not the FW, you should expect to see a 30m/50m flight restriction warning. We have had several reports by people noting that they get a warning about the limits, they are not enforced and they fly right through the warned distances without issue. Here is an example of someone on FW 1.8, but gets the warning message. Again, these are people who have updated only their app but not the FW.

Be sure to check your batteries to see if they need a FW update.
Mismatches with batteries have been known to keep the flight restrictions in place. If your batteries have different FW versions, restrictions may be gone for one battery but back for another battery. Avoid doubt by checking all of your batteries before you’re surprised with flight restrictions at a job site!

Enough people had sudden ESC Error issues with v1.11.20 that DJI created a v1.11.30 which they have not made widely available but can be found rather easily if anyone cares to look for it. Now it seems that DJI has been using v1.11.30 when refurbishing units and not letting buyers know about it, so if you buy a refurb it may come with v1.11.30 already installed.

Relink video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Info about the new restrictions. It's not a Phantom, but the concepts are the same:

P3P release notes for 1.11. The P3A notes are the same:
P3P 1.11.2 Release Notes.JPG

Screen shot of the announcement in May:
20170520 Restrictions announcement.JPG

Last edited:
Look for videos on re linking the aircraft to the controller. I believe it is necessary after certain uodates

Holy effing ess.

The RC had delinked with the update. I found the 'link' button on the side - never knew it was there!

It appears to have worked.

Thank you for pushing me in the right direction.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I'm surprised that you could not find any info on this. We are getting multiple posts per day like this one since the new FW was released. The release notes specifically suggest relinking, plus the restrictions announced in May are in place requiring a log out and log in of the app.

Once all installed, you'll need to go online with the app, sign out and then sign in again. This is a one time thing. Some have had to delete and reinstall the app. Don't forget to sync flight records before deleting the app or they will be lost. Once reinstalled, resync and your records will be back.

Relink video:

Info about the new restrictions:

P3P release notes for 1.11. The P3A notes are the same:
View attachment 85766

Already re-linked, but just went online and signed out and back on. Now I'm getting flashing red lights on the P3 rear arms?? Green LED on RC is still there but no communications.

Now what??

Already re-linked, but just went online and signed out and back on. Now I'm getting flashing red lights on the P3 rear arms?? Green LED on RC is still there but no communications.

Now what??

Well ess. The relinking did work for me.

Seems to be a Droid issue.... Just now switched back to the ipad and she's linked, loaded, and ready to rock and roll....

Makes me wonder is the update screwed up the Android version of DJIGo??

Well thank goodness it worked on the one.

With android it is a toss up. Nothing wrong with android, but the various versions, on top of the mods by the individual phone manufacturers.... considering I fly mine a lot over water, I stick with one device, one cable, one...everything. Paranoid....

I stick with one device, one cable, one...everything. Paranoid....
You left out one thing, And an Old Firmware version that works flawlessly!

I had similar after attempting the current update. Didn't work. I removed the card, copied the update onto it (which I had downloaded from computer). It is possible that I had stopped the update a little early previously, because after letting it sit there for a while with the new card inserted, it got to where the red/green lite on front of gimbal was solid green. I then removed the card to confirm (in the computer) that the update log says "success".

Then with everything up and running, I still had to press the secret little "reset" button on the side, using a paper clip. Now it flies fine, except:
Big Problem: video is constantly breaking up and unusable for flying, and the warning message says "mobile device CPU fully loaded".
Some kind of software issue, I'm pretty certain.

The "upgrade" is big step downgrade .
Loads of issues and restricts what was previously free.

Yet people still do it knowing the issues ?

Reactions: paulphantom
I had read everything before doing the update and knew about re-linking the RC afterwards. I updated my P3P with no issues. When I went to relink the controller it refused to relink. I kind of got a poor video signal from the bird but the led on the controller would flicker red and green...but mostly green. Then I noticed that it needed an RC firmware update from 1.8.0 to 1.9.2 afterwards it didn't even need re-linked...but I did it anyway. It has flown as good, if not better than, it did before and I have gone thru 4 batteries since updating.

Reactions: Numone
iOS user here. Following the recent firmware update, I had no issues with the rc or tx. The transmitter didn't need rebinding after the install process. Maybe it's an android issue.

My p3a has never been better than after this update. Now it finally works with android nougat
Mine has with Nougat from day one. Still on 1.8 firmware.....Works like a charm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan