P3 Firmware RC Does Not "See" Device After A/C Update

Reaction score
Upgraded firmware on my P3A yesterday. Txt file says 'success.' I also deleted DJI-GO app and reinstalled current app. From then on, I've been trying to get my RC to connect with the app. Of course, the A/C doesn't connect either. I've been through the forums and tried all the suggestions. My iPad app was not changed but it doesn't connect either. Also, my Android pad will not connect. I'm wondering if I interrupted an update of my RC and corrupted the OS. I've spent about 12 hours so far. Any ideas would be welcome. This is my first experience with the "All In One Firmware," loaded using the SD card.
Firmware has always been difficult but this one has me baffled.

Upgraded firmware on my P3A yesterday.
What issues did you have which led you to choose to update the FW?
Which version of FW did you have on the AC and the RC before you made changes?

This is my first experience with the "All In One Firmware," loaded using the SD card.
Since this is how the P3A (AC) is updated, am I correct in assuming that you have never updated your AC since you have had it?
Are you aware of the requirements to install certain levels of FW before then proceeding to install later versions as well as watching out for FW mismatches with changes to encryption?

I've been through the forums and tried all the suggestions.
Are you aware of the most referenced FW update guide (click here) and also know about the flight restrictions introduced with AC FW 1.11.20 (click here) as well as the recommendation to relink after installation? How far in those processes have you gotten so far?

Basically just trying to figure out exactly what you had on your AC/RC and which versions you then tried to install on your AC/RC and the steps you took to do both. :)

My last successful upgrade to A/C was July, 2016– V. 01.9.60. I'm unsure of the version on the RC. I have not used the P3 since 2016 due to illness. It was working fine after the 01.9.60 upgrade. I did not experience any issues, merely noticed that update was available
No, I am not aware of the sequence requirements or anything about encryption variables.
I am aware of the flight restriction in the latest version.
I followed an upgrade procedure from 2016. I did try to relink but the A/C red lights indicate no controller connection.
I guess at my age (82) I shouldn't be playing with such 'sophisticated' stuff. Not having a computer background is detrimental! I believed that equipment in this price range would be a tad more "friendly."
Anyway, thanks for your reply.
I downloaded and unzipped the FW file, placed the .bin file on the SD card and inserted in the A/C.
I deleted the DJI-GO app from my iPhone 6 and downloaded the current version from the App Store.
I connected the iPhone to the RC and booted it.
I turned on the A/C and waited for about 40 minutes.
Turned everything off and started up the App, controller and A/C.
At this point, the app would not connect to the RC.
I did not document all the 'suggestions' I tried but nothing seemed to help.
Now, when I start up the A/C, it goes through a routine as it always did, with the gimbal moving and lights flashing, etc. But the forward lights burn steady red and the aft lights rapidly blink yellow.
Still no response to the app from the controller. I have reloaded the app three times– no change. I also tried 3 different iPhone/USB cables.
I have only flown this P3A a dozen or so times. On four occasions, I made some quite nice (but very elementary) videos. If this is "toast," I'll just stick with my radio hobby. LOL

Your reply helped with a few more clues.

My last successful upgrade to A/C was July, 2016– V. 01.9.60. It was working fine after the 01.9.60 upgrade.
This clue helps in a couple of ways. Since you know that all was okay with your update to 1.9.6, that means you were already beyond the version you should install before proceeding (1.3.2) and also already beyond the version with the encryption change (1.8). It also means that your RC would have been on at least version 1.6. This information eliminates a multitude of possible issues.

the forward lights burn steady red and the aft lights rapidly blink yellow.
This clue tells us that the AC and the RC are most likely not connected. Forward red lights is normal, and rapidly blinking rear yellow lights usually mean that the RC is not connected. This has happened often when installing 1.11.20 and why it's release notes specifically say to relink after installation if your AC and RC are disconnected. Do you have a green light or a red light on your RC when the AC is also powered up? Green normally means connected, but we have seen reports here that following the install of 11.2 that relinking helped even when the RC light was green.

If you want to try, you can do a manual relinking without needing the app at all. Click here for info on how to do it.

If that works, it eliminates more issues and all that would be left is getting the RC and the app to connect.

Last edited:
If that works, it eliminates more issues and all that would be left is getting the RC and the app to connect.

That worked like a charm. I started the motors and checked the gimbal. Both sticks operate. I'll work on getting the app talking to the RC.
I can't thank you enough. BTW, I like that 3 second delay on the shutdown. I'm anxious to go flying and try it out.
Thanks again!
Jack

Reactions: Oso
It also means that your RC would have been on at least version 1.6. This information eliminates a multitude of possible issues.
My RC still doesn't connect with my iPhone6 (device). It worked fine in 2016 when last used for flying. I've deleted and reinstalled DJIGO (GO) app three times. I also have Litchi on my device and it says "disconnected." The GO app will not let me have "Camera mode" and on the firmware selection page it says "Device disconnected" and doesn't offer any information or FW options. As yesterday, I have connection between A/C and RC.
I have disconnected and turned off all other devices that could be interfering.
Also, the status light on the RC is "flashing green." Manual does not describe.

Last edited:
That is most likely a completely different issue. Is your RC model gl300a, or do you have HDMI out? If yes, then it is most likely DaVinci Media Processor issue. The DaVinci processor stores its firmware on a NAND memory chip which gets de-programmed over time. Not using the RC for a year could have helped in damaging its programming. We have instructions for fixing that, though this requires some electronic background.

If you have different model and no HDMI, then the USB is driven by Cypress controller, and it is unlikely that the controller is damaged - in such cases the cause is most often wiring - either the USB out, or internal flat film cables are not making contact.

For some details, check here - on the diagnosis graph there's a cyan rectangle "RC diagnosis starts here" - this is the place you should look at:
Fix no video feed / black screen / no image transmission / no FPV on Ph3 Pro

Well, I really appreciate all the help on this issue. I have sent the AC and RC to "Drone Nerds" in Florida for diagnosis and probably repair. They will respond with repair needs and cost. If I do not approve repairs, they will charge me $60 (plus shipping) for the diagnosis and return everything as they received it. If I approve repairs, it will be completed within 14 days (or 72 hours for additional $99). Going through all this B.S. is a travesty, IMO. The "update" process is convoluted and corrupted beyond belief. I believe it is intentional.

Being fair there are so many You tube videos and tutorials I think most people can work most issues out, if they took their time and did it properly, so many times people miss or just do not read information on the screen, I am not saying this is so in this case, but I swear even the cleverest people miss simple things at times,
If ever get an issue I will just leave it, until later that night, or even a day or so, just start again and go step by step, if you hit a snag, Google that issue, work through it, feels so much better afterwards,
This isnt just drones, PC`s are terribly frustrating at times, but you do feel better once you have it licked.

Being fair there are so many You tube videos and tutorials I think most people can work most issues out, if they took their time and did it properly, so many times people miss or just do not read information on the screen, I am not saying this is so in this case, but I swear even the cleverest people miss simple things at times,
If ever get an issue I will just leave it, until later that night, or even a day or so, just start again and go step by step, if you hit a snag, Google that issue, work through it, feels so much better afterwards,
This isnt just drones, PC`s are terribly frustrating at times, but you do feel better once you have it licked.
Drone Nerds determined that my P3A was okay. They put a new board in my controller and no difference, They then tested my P3A by flying with a different controller and all was good. They rechecked my RC and declared it faulty. Additional repair efforts not practical so suggested new controller. An open-box RC was available for $219 so I chose that option. So I have total of $275 cost including shipping both ways. I might have spent many more hours on You Tube, etc. and still be "researching" and anguishing over the failure. I'm not interested in becoming a drone tech so I'll not be needing any "upgraded firmware" any more. Next time it quits, it's landfill bound!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.