Props spinning leading edge down after new motors

Last time I saw a quad flip it was because the plug in the NAZA was in upside down, it’s the M1 to M4 plug and plugs in above the receiver connections

Here is how they are wired now. Not the same as crash1sttime but all rotars are now turning in the right direction i.e. prop is spinning with leading edge high.

20180419_182603.jpg

Then we went out for a test flight and this is the result (note first attempt gave full throttle, only nudging in this video to demonstarte whats happening in slow time). Same result though, just happens much quicker on full throttle.

Note also in picture above the two back motors that appear to be creating less lift are possibly different as they have print on them but the two new P2 V+ Version 3 (which I'm led to believe they are) on the front have no print on them. Are they all original but just different versions?

Looking at your photo above... You have not put the correct motors in correct location.

Black dot and black hub motors/props go in front left and right rear arms.

This was explained in post #13.

This configuration reverses the resultant torque and will confuse the NAZA.

There may still be other issues but this needs to be corrected.

Last edited:
In post #16 I asked for clarity on where you guys were standing when giving me directions so that I could make sure I was looking at it from same direction. So I assumed all from the rear.

Ok cool so that could be the issue now then. Effectively switch front two motors and same for rear. Then make sure all are wired such that leading edge is up.

So crash's list is correct as if I was looking at it from battery end: -

Looking from the back of the quad and working from the motor end of the ESC
Battery end: Left motor black red yellow
Battery end: Right motor black yellow red

Camera end: Front left motor black yellow red
camera end: Front right motor black red yellow

Black dot motor goes front right and rear left
Silver dot motor goes front left and rear right​

Will try again tonight. I will get this thing in the air if it kills me :)

Appreciate your help with this big time!

Please reread #23 above...

Black dot motors and props go front left and right rear!!!!

Crash1stTime is incorrect about this.

Please reread #23 above...

Black dot motors and props go front left and right rear!!!!

Crash1stTime is incorrect about this.

Cool I get that but looking at it from which end as from battery end its one way and from otyher end its the other way.

Esentially though either way what your saying is I need to swap them over. Where silver currently are there needs to be black?

I first used the typical convention of the front of the drone as in direction camera is pointed, etc. Then in post #16 confirmed this.

Anyways there is lots of photos on the web via Google that would show this.

I first used the typical convention of the front of the drone as in direction camera is pointed, etc. Then in post #16 confirmed this.

Anyways there is lots of photos on the web via Google that would show this.

Ok thanks. WIll make sure I get it right tonight then go for another test. Do you think it might also be worth replacing the two other motors at same time. If they are different versions could they be less powerful. Is that a possibility too?

Well the safe answer is Yes but since I’ve never replaced motors I can’t add an experienced answer.

Reactions: abermarc20
Actually I would have bought all four motors new and replaced all four with DJI motors for your specific Phantom! This way baring factory defects your sure that everything is in top shape!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Easier said than done. Everywhere I checked in UK that I could find either had no stock or didn't have a full set (though that's not to say I ve not overlooked an obvious source). I ended up taking two from a guy on ebay and I've contacted him today to buy the other two so at least I'll now have a full set that came from the same machine.

Made a huge leap tonight. Got all the motors back in right place and wired so turning the right way and....... It flew. Briefly!! I was trying it in a fairly small space outside and it only got a few feet off the ground but when I took hand off the controls it drifted to the right..... Into a post a crashed.

I did a calibration first anything else that might cause that to happen. Anything else I need to calibrate?

If I reverse spin direction via cables on ESC I have read in other posts that affects the NAZA and the way the drone will respond to movements etc i.e. it will become unstable. Is that correct?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but all the indicators lead me to believe that everything is doing what it should but they should be spinning other way. This picture is helpful, direction of travel arrove is the way motor turns but the propellor is the opposite way around (this isnt mine, just an image I've borrowed for illustration). So you can see clearly that the leading edge will be high in the picture but on mine all leading edges are facing down.

So if I reverse the cables the motors will spin in opposite direction the indicator arrows on the case. Is there a way to know correct orientation of top of casing if no stickers applied?

View attachment 97844

Should any of the leading edges be facing down? i.e. two props should face up and 2 should face down or should they all face up etc.

What would be super helpful is if anyone has Pic with cable order on ESC but also assocaited picture of propellors and direction of rotation......probably a big ask that I expect.

Only way to know for sure is try it, the explanation given should work exactly as he stated, on test flight simply put it into beginner mode limit your altitude and return home altitude make sure all parameters are as safe as can be, spin it up and attempt a hover if a hover test works my assumption would be flight would work as well just take it slowly

Made a huge leap tonight. Got all the motors back in right place and wired so turning the right way and....... It flew. Briefly!! I was trying it in a fairly small space outside and it only got a few feet off the ground but when I took hand off the controls it drifted to the right..... Into a post a crashed.

I did a calibration first anything else that might cause that to happen. Anything else I need to calibrate?
Is it possible it was in ATTI mode? Did you have satellites?

Is it possible it was in ATTI mode? Did you have satellites?

Yup, lights were green so assume so. Didn't have phone connected mind but both switches up so don't think I did. Just off for a other test now in much bigger space.

Will let you know how it guess.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4