Props, lifespan?

Reaction score
I did a search & couldn't find any answers, maybe because there is no definitive answer, but,
Is there a lifespan for props?
Mine are clean, no chips & no visible damage of any kind, but, I;m thinking they're only plastic, revving full speed from liftoff to landing. I;m not sure Phantom 3's cruise RPM, - 3500-6500rpm?
Will the plastic eventually fatigue or has DJI ever stated - You should change your props every---- ??

Reactions: Slimbo
You should change your props as soon as they become visibly damaged. Assuming you inspect them carefully before each flight, you'll know when it's time to change them.

I use a fine thread that I drag across the blade. If I get a read with high differences in friction, or if you lack the tech, simply drag a nail softly down the blades edges or suspected impacts (99% it's bug blood) and feel. If you feel dents or jagged surface on more than a few millimeters of surface I usually polish very carefully with one very light stroke using very fine sandpaper - although I caution you: If you lack experience in using your touch, hands and intuition I would recommend buying prop's every time you need to ask, that's usually when you somehow feel like you're past due.

I am not joking or trolling, this works for me. It does, however, not work the same way on the carbonplastered props.

when they snap on crashes.

I found a cool option: Three blade props, balanced and engineered specifically for Phantom 3 series available for purchase in various stores. Anyone tried them?

I found a cool option: Three blade props
Unless the props are made by DJI, it's not a good idea to use them. Most 3rd party props do not perform well.

I found a cool option: Three blade props, balanced and engineered specifically for Phantom 3 series available for purchase in various stores. Anyone tried them?

Don't do it!
Every post I ever see that mentions them is a crash post...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

+1 I've seen a handful of posts about the triple blades, they all ended badly.

My blades are getting dirty and they've only ever hit air. Must be chopping up to many bugs....

If you seen any of my posts you know that a lot of my flights end up upside down in a field, if my props just chopped up dirt and grass and haven't been scraped on the concrete, I throw them in the dishwasher, And they come out looking and flying good as new

Reactions: MasterBlaster
100 flights is my best estimate for DJI OEM props without any interference from crashes or any other contact.
What are the cost of new props again? $4.00 A pair! US? I say get a few extra!
All major aircraft components have a timely and hourly usage end. Props are a major and primary component!

Last edited:
Yes it is and it Pisses me off, it's gone up 30% in the couple of years however..... it has uv protection, adds no weight , increases fluid "slip" in the wind, in use it on my motorcycle windshield, boat windshield and gunnels,
It not only cleans but keeps schmuck from sticking to the bird, I use it on the props and the body,,be sure to spray on rag to apply to main body as to not get in to air vents,
Happy flying !!
Plexus 20205 Pocket Size Plastic Cleaner and Polish - 0.42 fl. oz.
Wow, expensive product! You notice any added weight. Do you think it helps with the aerodynamics

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl