Reaction score
Hi, I used to do stills photography for a local estate agent (realtor if you are across the pond :) ) and here in the UK a lot of contry-wide estate agents are paying to send their agents to go on a photography course and do the photography 'in-house'. I know speaking to some of them that they hate the idea because they are estate agents not photographers, anyhow, to offer something different the subject of drone/ high PoV shots has come up many time and I keep getting asked if I've got my drone yet. Well, now I have (and about to do the PfCo permission (part 107 if across the pond) I wonder if it is even possible to use a drone for realestate?

Now that I know the rules and regulations i.e. not within 50m of people or property and not within 150m of built up areas, how the blinking blimey do you get round that? - do you need local council permissions? or just the permissions of the neighbouring properties? If this can be done then I have guaranteed worked lined up for me next year but as things are now I don't see how it's possible and remain within the limits of the law.

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
Simon - UK.

I was under the impression that buildings/people who are part of the 'scene' were allowed - otherwise they would be no use in TV production,etc (drone shots are everywhere in TV drama and somewhat overused).

I would have thought the people offering your PfCO would be able to answer? Gotta be worth asking them.

Also, beware of spending £££ on PfCO and then being cut out of the market by EA's doing it themselves with a Spark (or a mate with a Spark). EA are not a realistic AP business model IMO unless you're talking country estates :)

I totally agree with your thoughts but in a scenario where a property neighbours another property either side, then those two properties will be within 50m of me and not part of the 'scene'. They may well have privacy issues (even though their property would be cropped out of any sales imagery). And you are right, I intend to ask a zillion questions when I get to the course! :)

I guess my point was that if you're photographing properties with close neighbours in the shot then aerial photos are not really adding to the sales prospects - if anything they'll make the property seem crowded out.

I used to do EA aerial work and in many cases the EA would request AP (because it's an extra fee service they sell on to the seller) but it would not be used (I got the fee, but where's the fun in that?). Also, people with smaller/cheaper houses don't tend to keep clutter like kids toys, broken BBQ,etc out of the gardens and these look horrid from the air.

EA are often bad/slow payers as well :(

Getting the drone and then finding if it is any good for the intended purpose seems a little cart-before-the-horse but I suspect you'll find if you're flying over private property (with permission) the rules change slightly.
And yes, they can be terrible payers - my worst case took over a year to pay!

The drone I have bought (A P3S) is purely for getting up-to-speed for the PfCo course. Durting the course I will have the opportunity to fly the P4P and the Inspire2 as well as discuss the various commercial options available and in demand in my area. My primary goal, albeit long term, is to expand on my already existing knowledge of photography/cinematography and how film & TV sets operate, I spent three years as a film&tv extra! (or supporting artiste as they prefer to be known) The property photography/videography would be an aside while I figure what I want to do with the newly 'brushed up' skills. I used to fly radio controlled fixed wings but stopped about 5 years ago. Once the course is complete I will have a better idea of what to do and which drone would suit best. The P3S cost me less than £400 so a tad easier to swallow if I damage it.

Hi, I used to do stills photography for a local estate agent (realtor if you are across the pond :) ) and here in the UK a lot of contry-wide estate agents are paying to send their agents to go on a photography course and do the photography 'in-house'. I know speaking to some of them that they hate the idea because they are estate agents not photographers, anyhow, to offer something different the subject of drone/ high PoV shots has come up many time and I keep getting asked if I've got my drone yet. Well, now I have (and about to do the PfCo permission (part 107 if across the pond) I wonder if it is even possible to use a drone for realestate?

Now that I know the rules and regulations i.e. not within 50m of people or property and not within 150m of built up areas, how the blinking blimey do you get round that? - do you need local council permissions? or just the permissions of the neighbouring properties? If this can be done then I have guaranteed worked lined up for me next year but as things are now I don't see how it's possible and remain within the limits of the law.

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
Simon - UK.
Hi There...from Minnesota...I say get your Drone and follow the rules. There will be jobs that are outside the legal limints of an airport, so go and photograph those real estate assignments and become the "go to guy" for aerial photography. It's very lucrative. Happy and safe flying.

Reactions: SimonJC
Thanks Dangrand, I like your encouragement :)

That's exactly what I shall be doing (amongst other things no doubt).

Cheers.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj