The BIGGEST Barrier to Real Estate Missions...

Drone operators are being treated by the FAA almost the same as big airplane pilots. This is very serious stuff. Those who won't listen or fail to understand may learn a painful lesson. I'm in school right now to get the 107. Learning same tech stuff as a student pilot. Night course sare available at lots of local comm colleges. Not too hard to pass. Be careful out there, times are changing fast! Local airports and colleges can offer more info. Best, Cliff

Reactions: flockshot
So you are saying that because you think that you are a good photographer and a safe UAV pilot, then you should be exempted from the Part 107 licensing requirements?
I forgot to mention sane and conscientious. I've been reviewing the study guide, and as I said, I'll be taking it, but everything is so common sense. I know, that assumes every other user possesses common sense as well. It's not worth the energy trying to change each others' minds.

Last edited by a moderator:
No thanks. I will never turn in anyone who is flying safely, regardless of their licensing.
Thank you! I mean, flying 40 feet above a house to take a picture? Anyone with a modicum of sense should be able to handle it and not be called names by the rest of the community.... but to protect my own arse, I'll still wind up PAYING for the right. Nobody made me get a license to play my guitar in bars.

I tell a lie... the Musicians Union can be real nasty about that stuff.

They aren't flying safely if they aren't obeying the rules/laws. No different than a cab driver with a suspended license etc. They obviously are not covered by the appropriate liability insurance either.
Well, think about it. Say your driver's license lapses. Not suspended for an infraction, but you just forgot to renew it. Does that mean everything you learned is out the window? You are no longer capable of driving safely? Or does it mean you simply neglected to pay the tax that allows you to drive?

That's kind of how I see this. I understand safety, I understand limits, etc... but not being licensed doesn't necessarily mean your a drooling idiot up there. I never took guitar lessons, yet, have been giving lessons to teachers for years....

And on another level, I fly safely 'cuz I can't readily afford to just go out and get another quadcopter if I wreck the one I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also very true. I’m very good AND licensed, but there are many great pilots who have minimal clue about how to capture relevant listing images. These are the pilots who will weed themselves out of the game by taking shots including vehicles, people, toys in the yard, bad angles, etc. Real Estate photography is a skill. Also, for real estate, photos cannot be manipulated. e.g. you can’t ethically photoshop out wires, trees, or any existing feature to improve the image. You CAN post process the exposure, level the shot, tweak colors and generally improve the image quality. But if the neighbors house is mere feet from the house for sale, you can’t erase it and replace it with grass or other item.
But the FAA license won't train you about getting toys out of the yard... or will it?

Is this an actual LAW? Or is it a strong recommendation?

It's the law. If you fly other than purely recreationally without a Part 107 license then you are in breach of 14 CFR Part 107, which codifies Public Law 112-95, Section 333.

Is this an actual LAW? Or is it a strong recommendation?

It's 100% codified into LAW and in the FARS as such. It's a lot more than "strong recommendation" regardless how people try to spin it.

This. This is going on in my community with a local real estate agent. Except HE'S the one shooting his own photography. I found this out after I approached their office about rendering my services. It's very frustrating. How do you report someone?

This. This is going on in my community with a local real estate agent. Except HE'S the one shooting his own photography. I found this out after I approached their office about rendering my services. It's very frustrating. How do you report someone?
You are about to accuse someone of a crime. If it turns out that he has a 107, you will be defaming the reputation of a licensed pilot (with potential civil consequences). Just make sure that you know what you are talking about.

Reactions: Wahoo_Ace

Are you absolutely SURE he doesn't have his Part 107? It's so easy now that many (I stress MANY) Realtors and orgs are getting theirs.

If you do want to report him here is the link to the FAA:
FAA Hotline Reporting Form

If he's doing this without a license he's also violating his
Code of Ethics and Professional Standards
which the National Association of Realtors take VERY seriously. You can start your endeavor with the NAR at:
Contact Us

It is easy to lookup a person's credentials. If I were gonna report someone, I would make sure to check this website first:

FAA Registry - Airmen - AirmenInquiry - Name Search
I am not on there and I have had my license for quite a while now. So if you are going to use this for your only search, you will be dealing with delayed information, that may have significant omissions.

I am not on there and I have had my license for quite a while now. So if you are going to use this for your only search, you will be dealing with delayed information, that may have significant omissions.

Mine showed up almost immediately. I was on that list before I actually received my certificate. Might have been because I was already on there as a private pilot... who knows.

Reactions: Wahoo_Ace
Are you absolutely SURE he doesn't have his Part 107? It's so easy now that many (I stress MANY) Realtors and orgs are getting theirs.

If you do want to report him here is the link to the FAA:
FAA Hotline Reporting Form

If he's doing this without a license he's also violating his
Code of Ethics and Professional Standards
which the National Association of Realtors take VERY seriously. You can start your endeavor with the NAR at:
Contact Us

I'm not trying to rat the guy out but it really puts a damper on guys like me who would like to run a LEGITIMATE business when someone is doing for free by not getting their proper credentials. It's very frustrating.

Reactions: BigAl07
Mine showed up almost immediately. I was on that list before I actually received my certificate. Might have been because I was already on there as a private pilot... who knows.
I have a private also, with expired medical now, but I still show up on the FAA Website. They showed my private when I was putting in my drone information, but this list doesn't show me. I had never tried to look until I saw that you posted the link.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm not trying to rat the guy out but it really puts a damper on guys like me who would like to run a LEGITIMATE business when someone is doing for free by not getting their proper credentials. It's very frustrating.
The really difficult thing for me to understand is, why would anybody who wants to be a drone photographer NOT go get the 107. It is not difficult, and you don't need to be able to fly a drone. It is 60 questions and you are legal if you get 42 of them right. That is not a lot to ask of someone who wants to be legal.

If you fully believe he's operating outside of the law and the NAR Code of Ethics then report him. I've been reported and it wasn't painful at all since I had the credentials (and then some LOL). It took about 10 minutes of my time to "satisfy" the inquiry and I made a direct contact with our FSDO in the process... SCORE!!

If you fully believe he's operating outside of the law and the NAR Code of Ethics then report him. I've been reported and it wasn't painful at all since I had the credentials (and then some LOL). It took about 10 minutes of my time to "satisfy" the inquiry and I made a direct contact with our FSDO in the process... SCORE!!

Which should I report him to first? FAA or NAR?

Which should I report him to first? FAA or NAR?

Might as well go all in if you're gonna do it. The FAA is the more important IMHO but the NAR needs to be aware of it too. I'd be curious to see how the NAR responds since they are "member" based.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj