The BIGGEST Barrier to Real Estate Missions...

Reaction score
The biggest barrier to flying real estate missions - your mileage may vary - has been that a FRACTION of REALTORS and agents and brokers realize they MUST use an FAA-Licensed pilot to capture their images and footage. I think the best thing any of us can do for each other and for the industry is to educate this audience. I've created flyers and went around to all the local brokerages handing them out. Feel free to take mine and model your own marketing materials after this one. I think in the end, we'll all benefit.

File is attached....

Also, feel free to look at my site - JeffCutlerPhoto.com - and reuse any of the verbiage there for your sites/landing pages.

Let me know your thoughts and if you've had the same struggles/barriers.

Thanks!

Jeff

Attachments

• JeffPostcard5-4-18_nomarks.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 2,571
A nice, informative flyer, with a thinly vailed threat at the end. I am not convinced that this is the way to win friends and influence people within the real estate community, but that is just me.

A nice, informative flyer, with a thinly vailed threat at the end. I am not convinced that this is the way to win friends and influence people within the real estate community, but that is just me.

Thanks for you thoughts. I might have overstepped, but I firmly believe real estate agents don't value professional photography. Therefore, they may fall into the habit of using a nephew or anyone they know with a drone to capture images. My 'threat' is there to keep them honest and to inform them of the dangers of not using a 107 pilot. **I think (though I'll have to look) I actually direct them to use a licensed pilot - even if it's not me.

The money argument holds a lot of weight with REALTORS. It would be crappy for them to list a $1Million house and then lose $11,000 of their $25000 commission here in MA. Further, it would irritate the broker as the house would also have to pay an $11,000 fine. So of the $25k commission, $22k would vanish. That's definitely not what people around here want.

**I had a nice chat with the FSDO officer and he said he was glad to protect drone businesses if they are losing money to non 107 pilots doing commercial work. He said all reports would be fully confidential. The first step would be education, but then the hammer would come down. He also told me that they are finally catching up in the FAA offices and enforcement should be a regular thing shortly.

Last edited:
You asked that folks read your flyer and offer their thoughts. I tried to do that.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I still think that your flyer is a 'non-starter' with many agents. Any suggestion of a threat just turns folks off.
If you are confident that this is the right way to promote yourself as a professional, then more power to you.

Flockshot, you’re right. Thanks for the input. I think the next version will be softer. Definitely need/want them to choose me out of a desire for good shots, not a fear of losing $$.

Any other thoughts? One huge design mistake was not making text boxes transparent. Will use better photos and a more refined design moving forward.

Thanks!

Flockshot, you’re right. Thanks for the input. I think the next version will be softer. Definitely need/want them to choose me out of a desire for good shots, not a fear of losing $$.

Any other thoughts? One huge design mistake was not making text boxes transparent. Will use better photos and a more refined design moving forward.

Thanks!
Once you engage them in conversation, and you get a sense for how they feel about it, that is when you can give them the friendly warning that" there are some non-licensed guys out there, so make sure you don't get caught in the eleven grand trap". That might even make the sale when they find out what the rules are, and you have already demonstrated to them that you are licensed.

I've found the opposite to be true, agents here have been warned at so many conferences about using Drones, they think they are illegal to use PERIOD. I've have very little luck getting real estate jobs in my area. Residential realtors generally want to spend zero dollars out of pocket, and around here it's simply a MLS and sign-in-the-yard industry!

I might have missed it - probably - but what are you basing the fine for the realtor on? The drone pilot certainly risks being fined since s/he is committing the violation but I am curious how would the FAA prove the realtor knew/should have known the pilot wasn't licensed and/or what duty does the realtor have to ensure such a thing?

I do agree that realtors - and everyone for that matter - have gutted the need for "professional" photographers and the age of everyone owning a digital camera has made all but the first tier professional to make a living at it. There are many sources that will gladly take a photo for a byline or someone just to see their image in print/use.

Thanks and apologies for my ignorance.

I have one thats a bit outdated but most who read it get the message:

BEWARE OF FRAUDULENT AND ILLEGAL OPERATING DRONE COMPANIES

Many of the companies offering services that use unmanned aerial systems are not approved by the FAA. Protect yourself and your company from unnecessary liability.
To operate a drone for commercial use the company must have either a FAA Part 107 pilot, or they must have a section 333 exemption with a FAA licensed pilot in command of the drone.
Many companies claim they have a FAA section 333 exemption but do not. Also, many companies that do have an approved FAA 333 exemption do not follow the laws of the section 333. If you operate under the FAA section 333 exemption you MUST have a FAA licensed Pilot acting as pilot in command (PIC) of the UAS.
Many companies have the 333 exemption but do not have a FAA licensed pilot acting as pilot in command. DO YOUR RESEARCH. If a Company claims to be 333 exempt ask to see the granted exemption as well as the license of the pilot that will be acting as PIC.

Reactions: Aero-Smith
hey Jeff - what about writing an article for the local newspaper. You could make it informative along the lines of your first flyer. I'd write it from the perspective of what people should look for in a drone photographer (ie. skills, FAA license, insurance, etc) and then give the possible consequences of not using a licensed and insured drone photographer. Kind of like the pros and cons of using a "qualified" FAA UAS Pilot. You'd be sort of the local expert in the newspaper and you wouldn't need to be negative in your marketing materials. Osmosis had some good stuff in the post above too.

Real Estate Agents are high paid chauffeurs. They add little value to the process of buying and selling homes. I don't plan on targeting residential real estate agents for my business. They are too cheap and usually have attitudes. Just my opinion - your mileage may vary.

As a local real estate photographer in my Northern California company, I am an affiliate member of two local realtor associations. I have given one talk and am about to give another on real estate photography in general, but as a Part 107 experienced RE pilot, I like to make sure that the realtors who attend my talks hear that they need to hire only Part 107 licensed and insured pilots. I agree that realtors as a group, vary greatly in the use of pro photographers, but the trend here is finally growing to hire someone who not only knows how to shoot, including from the air, but how to process image effectively to help them sell their properties. After all, we are a group providing a specialized service to a service industry and should be viewed as a team. My clients need to understand what we can do in aerial photography, and what and when we can't.

Educating realtor clients is an ongoing process. Some will accept new ideas, some will continue to post really bad photos on listings, even when the low cost of good photos would add greatly to their offerings. Change takes time, be patient and continue to do what you do in a positive, collaborative manner, and keep friends and clients happy and productive, and gain business along the way.

Right now the housing market is white hot, houses in many markets are selling within hours and often above list price.

Extra marketing efforts aren't as necessary as they'd be in a slower market; I think most drone work for real estate would involve high end properties that tend to be on the market longer, not average suburban homes.

Just my 2 cents, I've held a real estate license for 35 years.

I hope this isn't a dumb question. But isn't Part 107 for commercial operators only? And if someone creates a real estate video for free, then doesn't the Part 107 requirement go away?

An extension of this question is what if the real-estate agent does it himself? Is it considered a commercial transaction even though the real estate agent doesn't pay himself for drone work. ??

FYI, I have done several real estate video projects for free. I do it just for fun. So there's no commercial transaction, and Part 107 does not apply.

I hope this isn't a dumb question. But isn't Part 107 for commercial operators only? And if someone creates a real estate video for free, then doesn't the Part 107 requirement go away?

An extension of this question is what if the real-estate agent does it himself? Is it considered a commercial transaction even though the real estate agent doesn't pay himself for drone work. ??

FYI, I have done several real estate video projects for free. I do it just for fun. So there's no commercial transaction, and Part 107 does not apply.
Well, you are going to get a lot of response, and the short answer is that yes, you do need a 107 if the photos are used to help a business, any business, yours or the other guys.

Free vs. paid is not part of the equation. You need a Part 107 Certification if you are flying for anything other than hobby/recreation and your OWN personal enjoyment.

Creating a "real estate" video for your own personal enjoyment is fine.

Creating one for someone to use in a real estate business (even if this is yourself) or any other business or enterprise requires a Part 107.

What I use as a guideline is: If what you record is used by yourself or another party for any purpose other than looking at what a person did for a hobby, you need a Part 107. Remuneration does not enter into it. It is common to think of "commercial" as something that involves money or other remuneration. In the eyes of the FAA, that has nothing to do with it. Their term is "furtherance of a business". NOTHING that you can think of will remove the requirement that ANYTHING other than hobby is allowed without a license. Give it to anyone free of charge and you will be liable for what THEY do with it. Show your handiwork to a potential home buyer, car buyer, etc.. Any use that involves a business or a transaction. Or advertising, business or personal. Right or wrong, amateur, wannabe professional photographers / film makers need a license. Use your camera or cellphone to take real estate photos and you are OK. Attach it to a drone and you enter the realm of the FAA, as mandated by Congress. And you will never find a less forgiving bureaucracy than the FAA. Their job description has the word "public safety" in it and no one can safely run counter to that mission. Bottom line: You vs FAA, you lose. Every time.

Reactions: jeffcutler
You dont need threats, you dont need to trash other pilots, you dont need to offend the intelligence of realtors. All you have to do is the same thing legitimate Contractors, Plumbers, and Electricians do. On your flyer, put FAA Licensed and Insured, for Professional Work. The Real Estate Agent, will get it and they know exactly what that means.

Thanks for you thoughts. I might have overstepped, but I firmly believe real estate agents don't value professional photography. Therefore, they may fall into the habit of using a nephew or anyone they know with a drone to capture images. My 'threat' is there to keep them honest and to inform them of the dangers of not using a 107 pilot. **I think (though I'll have to look) I actually direct them to use a licensed pilot - even if it's not me.

The money argument holds a lot of weight with REALTORS. It would be crappy for them to list a $1Million house and then lose $11,000 of their $25000 commission here in MA. Further, it would irritate the broker as the house would also have to pay an $11,000 fine. So of the $25k commission, $22k would vanish. That's definitely not what people around here want.

**I had a nice chat with the FSDO officer and he said he was glad to protect drone businesses if they are losing money to non 107 pilots doing commercial work. He said all reports would be fully confidential. The first step would be education, but then the hammer would come down. He also told me that they are finally catching up in the FAA offices and enforcement should be a regular thing shortly.
Licensed pilot does not necessarily mean good photographer....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl