The BIGGEST Barrier to Real Estate Missions...

This. This is going on in my community with a local real estate agent. Except HE'S the one shooting his own photography. I found this out after I approached their office about rendering my services. It's very frustrating. How do you report someone?
And you seem to think he has no right to take his own pictures! If he were standing on the ground, up on a ladder, or hanging out the window of a neighboring building, it'd be ok, right? This is where the line is so fine for me. As I said, I'll do it but I won't like it, and this is a good example. I keep going back to music, but it's like I can't play in my own wedding 'cuz I'm not a union musician. Instead, I have to hire someone else to sing for me... Plus, like everything in life, it's more departments, offices, whatever, with their hands in my pockets.

And you seem to think he has no right to take his own pictures! If he were standing on the ground, up on a ladder, or hanging out the window of a neighboring building, it'd be ok, right? This is where the line is so fine for me. As I said, I'll do it but I won't like it, and this is a good example. I keep going back to music, but it's like I can't play in my own wedding 'cuz I'm not a union musician. Instead, I have to hire someone else to sing for me... Plus, like everything in life, it's more departments, offices, whatever, with their hands in my pockets.

He has every right to take his own pictures but the TOOL he is using is regulated. As far as your singing goes, that's apples to oranges. However, if you are making money using music you need to pay royalties. Again, let's not get into the weeds here.

Apples and oranges.

The taking of the pictures is not the issue. It's the flying of the drone for non hobby/recreation purposes (one's own enjoyment) that is the issue.

You don't have to like the regulations (and you have made it abundantly clear that you don't) but at least for now, these are the rules. And they apply to everyone equally.

Apples and oranges.

The taking of the pictures is not the issue. It's the flying of the drone for non hobby/recreation purposes (one's own enjoyment) that is the issue.

You don't have to like the regulations (and you have made it abundantly clear that you don't) but at least for now, these are the rules. And they apply to everyone equally.

Absolutely! Thank you!

I'm certified and I'm not on there. I chose to not have my information publicly accessible. So this is not a failsafe way to check.

There are always exceptions. I would guess most UAV pilots have no idea that registry even exist nor take the time to opt out. It would be a good first place to check to keep one from making a fool out of themselves. If they are there, they are legal. If they are not, keep digging for more info.

A nice, informative flyer, with a thinly vailed threat at the end. I am not convinced that this is the way to win friends and influence people within the real estate community, but that is just me.
No, that doesn't sound anything like a threat to me, just a harsh fact and reality check, and I like it.
It's the FAA that sounds like a bully, not the photog.

Be friends on LinkedIn with as many persons in the industry as possible and start posting non confrontational articles about drones. That does a few things. Gets your name recognized and reinforces what they probably already know. The professionals all know the use of drones are important and that you need to be "good" aka "cert'd up" with the FAA.

The biggest barrier to flying real estate missions - your mileage may vary - has been that a FRACTION of REALTORS and agents and brokers realize they MUST use an FAA-Licensed pilot to capture their images and footage. I think the best thing any of us can do for each other and for the industry is to educate this audience. I've created flyers and went around to all the local brokerages handing them out. Feel free to take mine and model your own marketing materials after this one. I think in the end, we'll all benefit.

File is attached....

Also, feel free to look at my site - JeffCutlerPhoto.com - and reuse any of the verbiage there for your sites/landing pages.

Let me know your thoughts and if you've had the same struggles/barriers.

Thanks!

Jeff
Thank you! I suspected as much.

I am a certified real estate appraiser, owner of rental property and I flip houses on the side; and I am a UAS hobby flyer. I have thought of using drone photos in my profession or even starting a real estate photo business. I just honestly think that being a licensed 107 UAS pilot does not matter to most agents. They want good photos for a good price. I don't see anyway they can get sued because a photographer did not get the proper license. Agents are incredibly well protected from lawsuits in the things they are "experts" in already. They are not FAA or photography experts. They will argue they didn't know any better. With that being said, I personally would not take photos for money without the proper UAS license.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but it’s the drone operator who the law will crash down on, not the RE agent. Trouble is, someone has to report them.

The biggest barrier to flying real estate missions - your mileage may vary - has been that a FRACTION of REALTORS and agents and brokers realize they MUST use an FAA-Licensed pilot to capture their images and footage. I think the best thing any of us can do for each other and for the industry is to educate this audience. I've created flyers and went around to all the local brokerages handing them out. Feel free to take mine and model your own marketing materials after this one. I think in the end, we'll all benefit.

File is attached....

Also, feel free to look at my site - JeffCutlerPhoto.com - and reuse any of the verbiage there for your sites/landing pages.

Let me know your thoughts and if you've had the same struggles/barriers.

Thanks!

Jeff
Found this: Realtors Have Liability for Hiring an Unlicensed Drone Operator

It is all well and good that so many 'professional pilots' are chomping at the bit to fine and punish anyone who dares take a picture of a house, from a drone, in order to make the house as appealing as possible for sale.

So what makes one a 'professional pilot'? Granted, I do believe that those who take the time and trouble to get their Part 107 license are more likely to be law abiding drone drivers than flyers in general. That is not to say that there are not recreational pilots who as professional with their drone as any Part 107 guy. And, of course, there are Part 107 pilots that managed to get 42 answers right out of 60 and are probably flying dangerously.

My point is, that obtaining a Part 107 license is the 'legal' threshold for 'promoting any business".

So make your legal augments, and I will not ever disagree with that, but don't confuse passing a test with any level of professionalism, or flying ability, or competency, because they are not related.

Reactions: BigAl07
No argument here, anyone can pass a test. But using a nonprofessional pilot opens the customer up to liability, which, for any business, is not desirable, and isn’t a great qualifier for the pilot, either.

Reactions: Wahoo_Ace
It is all well and good that so many 'professional pilots' are chomping at the bit to fine and punish anyone who dares take a picture of a house, from a drone, in order to make the house as appealing as possible for sale.

So what makes one a 'professional pilot'? Granted, I do believe that those who take the time and trouble to get their Part 107 license are more likely to be law abiding drone drivers than flyers in general. That is not to say that there are not recreational pilots who as professional with their drone as any Part 107 guy. And, of course, there are Part 107 pilots that managed to get 42 answers right out of 60 and are probably flying dangerously.

My point is, that obtaining a Part 107 license is the 'legal' threshold for 'promoting any business".

So make your legal augments, and I will not ever disagree with that, but don't confuse passing a test with any level of professionalism, or flying ability, or competency, because they are not related.

Exactly. Passing the Part 107 test only makes you "legal" and Commercial. Actions, knowledge, methods, and product are what make you a Professional.

Then and only then can the Part 107 test have any degree of validation IMHO.

Reactions: flockshot
You are about to accuse someone of a crime. If it turns out that he has a 107, you will be defaming the reputation of a licensed pilot (with potential civil consequences). Just make sure that you know what you are talking about.
******** Contact your local fsdo office. Report them. Oh yea, inform that realtor you're gonna start selling real estate in his area without a realtor license or insurance. The odasity of people knowingly flying commercial, dodging the system and putting people and the commercial drone industry at risk. Burn em.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonsense. You cant begin to describe a professional as someone who breaks federal law to conduct his business operations. Terrible thought process.

Exactly. Passing the Part 107 test only makes you "legal" and Commercial. Actions, knowledge, methods, and product are what make you a Professional.

Then and only then can the Part 107 test have any degree of validation IMHO.
That is the most backwards thing ive read on this thread.

Reactions: Wahoo_Ace
For you, the test is the measure off a 'professional'. For me, it takes more than the test. Best of luck to you.

All of the folks here suggesting that 107 is overreach, just reveal very clearly that they don’t know what they don’t know (how could they?). What they do know however they is that they are breaking the law.

“”promoting a business” is essentially irrelevant to what 107 is about, it just happens to be a convenient way (VERY longstanding in precedent), to establish a regulatory boundary, “above” which, proof of some level of knowledge/education is required. If you’d studied for and taken the test, you’d know that none of that BOK is about “business”; ultimately it’s about safety. You want an unlicensed pilot flying you and your family to Chillicothe for your next family vacation? What about your next surgery: unlicensed surgeon? Next time you drive your car down the highway, feel free to think to yourself “look at all these sap’s (yourself likely included) who got licensed”. You and yours very simply don’t know what you don’t know. I will report EVERY unlicensed drone pilot operating in a commercial capacity, every time! In fact, I will go out of my way to expose them. In all walks of life, credentials mean something and only the uncredentialed ignorantly claim they don’t.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20