Problems with MicroSD card

Reaction score
I've taken about 6GB of videos on my P3S, lots of fun to watch and posted a few online for friends to see. I have been able to reference the chip, read the chip in the Mac's chip reader, copy files off the chip onto my Mac.

Of course, my 8GB chip is nearly full so I want to delete the whole mess of files and start in again with a clean chip. So I try to delete the files. Mac says the files cannot be deleted. Gives me a dialog box that says "The item “DJI_nnnn.MOV” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted."

Being a new user, its possible that I shut down the P3S clumsily and didn't allow the camera to finish updating the chip properly before I shut down the power. If anyone has had similar issues please let me know. I just don't want to fry another chip

I've talked the the people at Apple about it so see if there is something I can do on the Mac to correct the problem or to re-initialize the Micro SD media. They came up with nothing. I tried to use "Disk Utility" on it, the utility indicates that the free space is -1.

Here's what Disk Utility came up with...
2016-12-31 12.20.37 pm.jpg

You may already know that the SD card isn't set up in a Mac format - it's MS-DOS fat32. Maybe that's part of the problem? My P4P allows formatting in the drone via the DJI Go software. Have you tried that? I would start there. Or you could try reformatting it via the Apple disk utility. But just make sure you get it in the format required for the Phantom. On another not SD cards have a little slider on the side that prevents the card from being accidentally erased. But I don't know about the holder that houses the micro-SD. (I'm away from my drone and cards). Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You may already know that the SD card isn't set up in a Mac format - it's MS-DOS fat32. Maybe that's part of the problem? My P4P allows formatting in the drone via the DJI Go software. Have you tried that? I would start there. Or you could try reformatting it via the Apple disk utility. But just make sure you get it in the format required for the Phantom. On another not SD cards have a little slider on the side that prevents the card from being accidentally erased. But I don't know about the holder that houses the micro-SD. (I'm away from my drone and cards). Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for all this. According the friendly folks at Apple, FAT32 is a native format in the Apple world, since Macs can run either Windows or OSX, or both simultaneously. So that's not it.

But, No, I haven't tried to format via the DJI GO software. I'll investigate that. Any idea how I can get a complete explanation of what the DJI GO software does... I hate this discovering-over-time business. Why can't I just "look it up".

Mentioned above... why not simply format the card?
Thanks for all this. According the friendly folks at Apple, FAT32 is a native format in the Apple world, since Macs can run either Windows or OSX, or both simultaneously. So that's not it.

But, No, I haven't tried to format via the DJI GO software. I'll investigate that. Any idea how I can get a complete explanation of what the DJI GO software does... I hate this discovering-over-time business. Why can't I just "look it up".

That's a solution. At least on the Mac, one cannot delete files from or rename files on the Micro SD card/chip. Read the files, move them where you want, but to delete then there is only the FORMAT button in the DJI GO software. There is no mention of FORMATting capability in the documentation.

Many Thanks sshephard!

Last edited:
In general, it's best to do the reformatting in the app. I was deleting files on my Mac, but the available space didn't increase. Wasn't properly resetting index pointers. Now, I routinely transfer all the files at the end of flying and reformat the SD as part of my basic startup routine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31