Reaction score
I believe DJI must include maintenance schedules, procedures, and checklists for preventative, routine, and periodic, maintenance, in the User Manual. Not only should the schedules be published, but so should procedures and checklists be published as well. It seems that since DJI does not include these maintenance requirements, they can not hold the user accountable for not performing the maintenance. I plan on notifying the FAA UAS Integration Office if I don't see something happen with respect to this issue in the next 10 days.

Reactions: AlPurvis2
I believe DJI must include maintenance schedules, procedures, and checklists for preventative, routine, and periodic, maintenance, in the User Manual. Not only should the schedules be published, but so should procedures and checklists be published as well. It seems that since DJI does not include these maintenance requirements, they can not hold the user accountable for not performing the maintenance. I plan on notifying the FAA UAS Integration Office if I don't see something happen with respect to this issue in the next 10 days.
Why would you want to get the FAA involved? That would only give them yet another regulation to add and make enjoying flying even more restrictive. I don't need a law to make me take care of my quad. I'm a responsible flyer and can do it on my own, and don't want a fine for not doing it their way. Be careful with what you ask for.

I too am a careful operator, but not a maintainer. Just like they give a pre-flight checklist, they need to do they same for maintenance. DJI has implemented things in the software, you might not be aware of as of yet depending on where you fly. Try to start you vehicle inside a control zone where a tower exists. You may not be able to do so. Further, I think the degradation in range is also do to a software change to keep your vehicle within VLOS. That's just the beginning of what both Congress, the FAA, and the manufacturers are doing to impact our sport and/or businesses. In the event of an incident beyond my control, I don't what to hear that I did not perform the proper routine/preventative maintenance that could of prevented the incident.

I thought that a UAS under 55 pounds is exempt from the maintenance requirements for an airworthiness certificate. http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.291.pdf

What Notice 8900.291, which expired on 3/24/16, specifically said was:
"5. Action. AIR and AFS personnel who support the airworthiness certification of a UAS with an operating weight of fewer than 55 pounds must confirm the following:
a. Written, Self-Certifying Statement. Applicants must provide the FAA with a written, self-certifying statement that they have an established inspection and maintenance program for the continued airworthiness of the aircraft.
b. Operating Limitations Contents. Per deviation memorandum AIR 100-15-110-DM44 issued March 4, 2015, the inspection and maintenance requirements listed in Appendix A of FAA Order 8130.34C are not required to be listed in the operating limitations for unmanned aircraft operated at less than 55 pounds."

Please don't.

I operate as a federally licensed firearms manufacturer and in my industry there are people/organizations that needlessly query/petition the ATF. While they believe that they are doing for the betterment of the community, in most cases it leads to more regulations imposed on law abiding people.

I think the degradation in range is also do to a software change to keep your vehicle within VLOS
You must have impressive eyesight. My P4 can fly well beyond what I'm able to see.

Please don't.

I operate as a federally licensed firearms manufacturer and in my industry there are people/organizations that needlessly query/petition the ATF. While they believe that they are doing for the betterment of the community, in most cases it leads to more regulations imposed on law abiding people.

The Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) for the commercial UAS operator using a DJI product, or any other UAS for that matter, are changing very soon. When Title 14 CFR, Part 107, is published in the next 45 days or so, there will be some changes for the commercial operators. §107.21 states "An operator must:
(a) Maintain the system in a condition for safe operation; and (b) Inspect the small unmanned aircraft system prior to flight to determine that the system it is in a condition for safe operation." If there is an incident/accident, then it is (a) that will result in the FAA asking what constitutes "maintain the system in a condition for safe operation." They will ask the operator for their procedures and ask for user manual. They will then go to the manufacturer. Now is the time to address this issue, not 45 days for now. In fact it is past time. They will be looking for the procedures to be published in the user manual and a record of when the maintenance was performed. After the joint passage for the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016, which is now in Congress, gets passed and signed by the President, things will even get worse for the commercial UAS operator as well as the manufacturers. Get ready!

Like most hobbies you better be mechanically inclined or have deep pockets.

I too am a hobbyist and am an aeronautical engineer and have built and flown a sailplane. I am mechanically inclined and luckily what I have been discussing has to do with the commercial world, not the hobbyist. So far, the hobbyist is protected in the law with special wording that will appear in a revised FAR Part 101. AMA has done a very good job of protecting us. However, I as a hobbyist, would like to know what the manufacturer, DJI, recommends for maintenance, which I can't seem to find! They designed and built the UAS; they need to furnish such information for all. I know other manufacturers provide this information in their operations and maintenance manual. Why not DJI?

You sound more like you are against free use of the drone, want more rules and regulations, more limits to us flying the drones.
You forgot one very important thing: Local LEOs do not enforce Federal laws.
FAA can not regulate and operate TSA...waiting to see how good they will be with drones.
In your case, if you want is a good practice to take the drone apart to the last screw and inspect it. Good luck.

You sound more like you are against free use of the drone, want more rules and regulations, more limits to us flying the drones.
You forgot one very important thing: Local LEOs do not enforce Federal laws.
FAA can not regulate and operate TSA...waiting to see how good they will be with drones.
In your case, if you want is a good practice to take the drone apart to the last screw and inspect it. Good luck.

No I don't want more regulations. Luckily the new FAR Part 107 coming out this month or next month covers commercial operations, not hobby operations which will be covered in a revised Part 101. AMA has done an excellent job of protecting the hobbyists. When the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016 becomes law, things will get worse for the commercial operator and the manufacturer.

My neighbor, a LEO, told me that you are correct about their ability to enforce Federal laws. But, they respond to complaints. And if they can't get it figured out, they will call in the FBI who then calls the FAA.

Regarding taking it apart, it voids my one year repair contract. I have not qualms about taking it apart if I have to do so after the repair contract is over.

What is it with some people who always have to have MORE government involvement? Uncle Sam isn't in your pocket or running your life enough already? 1,,,if you are strictly hobby a bunch of the maintenance bs doesnt apply to you to begin with, so what's your big concern here? 2,,,If you see some idiot flying his quad in the area of airplanes on short final, by all means, call the FAA, THAT is a problem. Other than that, why don't you just leave your nose out of it? Trust me, those of you who feel the need to have the nanny state in your business are a VERY small minority. The rest of us just want to be left alone.

Reactions: NaimNatNod
What is it with some people who always have to have MORE government involvement? Uncle Sam isn't in your pocket or running your life enough already? 1,,,if you are strictly hobby a bunch of the maintenance bs doesnt apply to you to begin with, so what's your big concern here? 2,,,If you see some idiot flying his quad in the area of airplanes on short final, by all means, call the FAA, THAT is a problem. Other than that, why don't you just leave your nose out of it? Trust me, those of you who feel the need to have the nanny state in your business are a VERY small minority. The rest of us just want to be left alone.

Gary, see my other posts. I do not like Uncle Sam in my nickers at all. But our Congress has already started to put the screws to UAS operators. The big lobbyists like ALPA and AOPA have lobbied heavily to try to kill drones altogether. Congress is reacting to these lobbyist and doing just that with the commercial use of UAS.

Gary, see my other posts. I do not like Uncle Sam in my nickers at all. But our Congress has already started to put the screws to UAS operators. The big lobbyists like ALPA and AOPA have lobbied heavily to try to kill drones altogether. Congress is reacting to these lobbyist and doing just that with the commercial use of UAS.[/Q

Ok, cool. And that has WHAT to do with calling FAA if Dji doesnt give you a maintenance schedule, exactly? Im missing the connection here. That or maybe some of us in here can help you out a little bit. Are the props in good shape? Check. Are they installed properly and tight? Check. Ensure your motors dont make any frightening noises or dont spin freely when you spin the. Check. There ya go, there's your Phantom 3 Maintenance schedule. What REALLY is there to do maintenance wise? Without breaking the seal, so to speak, and voiding our warranties? And if FAA wanted us to do something that voided our warranties in order to do a stupid maintenance schedule, well, I guess they could just bugger off, huh? I just think (and apparently many others in here do as well) that you're making a bit too much out of this.

Gary, see my other posts. I do not like Uncle Sam in my nickers at all. But our Congress has already started to put the screws to UAS operators. The big lobbyists like ALPA and AOPA have lobbied heavily to try to kill drones altogether. Congress is reacting to these lobbyist and doing just that with the commercial use of UAS.
Get a life

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.