Preventative Maintenance checklist ideas

Re: Preventative Maintenance checklists

Pull_Up said:
1. If you don't like the thread, I have no problem with that.
2 . But if you don't like the thread, why keep reading it?
3. If you keep reading it, but don't like what's being said, why write on it?
4. If you do write on it, don't be rude.

The irony in your last post about behaving like a child is obviously lost on you (a language thing, perhaps?)

I see from the fact that you have ordered a Droneexpert.nl gimbal you have a lot more money to play with than I have - this probably explains why you don't see the need to inspect things for damage/potential failure. I get that. You can just go and buy another one. It's only 1000 euro after all. Well done.

Sadly, the number of people on my "foe" or ignore list has quadrupled in the last 10 days or so (with another one to be added just after I finish typing this). What's happening all of a sudden to attract the numbers of rude, ignorant and selfish people to the forum?!

<clicks username, clicks add to foe list, gets on with life>

I have a P2V+, about 20 flights with very slight lateral play in one motor. An slight audible click can be heard when moving it from side to side (the whole motor, not the shaft). A different motor spins just slightly less freely than the others. Flying perfectly. Is it worth taking the top off? What are the E clips?

Re: STICKY: Preventative Maintenance checklist ideas

Check the motor mounting screws first and see if they need a little tightening - if it's the whole motor moving that's probably the culprit. The e-clips are on the underside of the motor and are what holds the shaft in place. Without the clip only the magnets are holding on, and although they are strong it's not ideal just to have them doing the job! If the e-clip has gone then you will be able to pull the shaft all the way out if you pull hard enough to break the magnetic field. Here's a video I did that shows the e-clips amongst other things in more detail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jum34eU4W8 (e-clips shown from about 6:40)

As for your motor that's behaving a bit different - as long as it's only slightly less free and doesn't make any odd noises or run noticeably warmer than the others (give it a feel at the end of a flight and compare) then I'd say that's OK. If you do regular checks you'll pick up on it if it gets worse.

Pull_Up, thanks for reposting your video on how to do routine maintenance checks. Your videos are very helpful and encouraging for those of us who are a bit intimidated by not knowing what we are seeing. I appreciate the clear explanations.

One more thing I check at the start of every flight:
- Number of remaining pictures.
Reason: If this is 0, the memory card is not in the camera. It easily pops out when you touch it. Even though I put some adhesive tape on it to prevent loss, it sometimes is not properly inserted.

Reactions: Antonio Jose Silva
PMCS

F6Rider said:
For what it's worth, (not much) I am in full agreement with the OP on PM. As an Army OH58/UH1 and later a UH60 crew chief and Phase Maintenance team leader I cannot count the number of times a routine PM check reveled a potential issue that could have affected the safety of the A/C and crew (ME!). Anything that has the potential to drop out of the sky and hurt someone had better be given scheduled and Documented PM. I have a log book and log every flight, how many batteries used and how many times they were charged, as well as location, max altitude attained and duration of flight. Also when and what I safety checked. To much information you say?, not when the authorities start asking why you had a fly away and it happened to konk someone on the head. I want to be able to show I did my due diligence in maintaining my craft.

I was an Infantry Officer for many years. As an airborne platoon leader all we ever did was jump, walk and pull maintenance in a never ending sleep deprived cycle. Even airborne units have fleets of vehicles to maintain. Did you know every single bit of US military equipment has a PMCS manual and PMCS schedule. From the Predator to a camp stove if there is an incident the first thing pulled is its 'Dash Four'. As a Captain I commanded a Bradley company with an M1 tank platoon. Every time the vehicles stopped someone was breaking track, bore sighting or pulling oil samples. Tankers never ever get to sleep since for every hour driving they pull 8 hours of PMCS. But the biggest maintenance job for me was as a Major. I moved up to staff and deployed with an Aviation Brigade as an LNO. Every single meeting, every single conversation, every single piece of paper had a safety/maintenance component. Not one single crew chief or pilot wanted to be the poor bastard that dropped a bird because of shoddy maintenance.

The soldiers double and triple checked everything, the Crew Chiefs double and triple checked them, the Pilots double and triple checked, the Safety Officers double checked, the Maintenance Chief Warrants triple checked them, the CSM and Battalion Commanders quadruple checked everybody and only after all the paperwork was signed would a bird fly. Even then a lowly private two weeks out of school could shut down the flight line for a no questions asked "Safety". Even under all of that there were accidents and Murphy made unexpected visits. One day a new pilot did not ensure his avionics bay cover was secured. The cover popped off in flight covering the view of the IP during a brown out landing. I was on that bird in the jump seat. The young LT got punched by the IP, the IP busted back to PIC, the Crew Chief transferred, the Private door gunner put on quarters for a month, and the Flight line NCOIC missed a late career promotion. After that the Accident Investigation team showed up and the real fun started.... then everything got triple checked and inspected all over again. What really surprised me is not one single aviator in that unit complained or whined about the punishments they blamed nobody but themselves for blowing basic "Safety" since anyone of them should have seen the open latch.

My entire career Safety and PMCS were lip service. Those Aviators taught me valuable life lessons I practice to this day. Each of my vehicles and RC craft have log books and documented PMCS files. As well I am joining the AMA for the insurance coverage and license/credentials just in case something awful happens.

Pull_Up said:
DronePeter said:
Dont overreact , mate !

This is not what the DJI manual says.
I suggest everybody just follow the manual from the manufacturer, that is the best way and more safe!

You act like you are starting to fly a Boeing or somethong like that.
It is just a hobby you know !

Lets keep it that way, mate.

Wish I could afford for over £800 to drop out of the sky because I didn't notice the bearing going on a £20 motor, or that an ESC wire was vibrating loose over time. :(

You'll be telling me next I shouldn't have bought third party liability insurance, or that I should fly over the crowds at the next town carnival... ;)

Rock climbing's only a hobby, too - but you probably want to take a look at the ropes once in a while... :lol:

I'm rather late on this thread, bit I agree with Pull_Up. Not so much with the money side on the replacement, which is important, but if you are out flying around, and happen to hit someone, you can end up at the other end of a lawsuit, just like the Airlines would.

Nice thread for us newbies and probs for the pro's to.

Just 2 questions.. you guys mentioned alot of you recently discovered gimbal screw was loose.. where it was this exactly ?? I can't find it.. can only find the 4 or 5 holding the entire housing on... the actual gimbal seems to be connected via a metal bolt/screw that moves around but it has no head you can tighten etc..

second thing.. I notice one of my 4 prop's takes half a second longer to stop then the others, like they all stop, but the 4th one spins for extra half sec. Causing no problems I can see but figured I'd ask. Have checked shaft has no extra pay.. seems all fine. I might take off the case for first time and check all the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Only had the PV2+ about 2 weeks and done a good few.. maybe 8 hours total flying time.

Recently did the grease in battery trick... works soooo well :) Dunno why DJI made it so hard to take the battery. Almost have to destroy device to get it out! but now shes smooth and can do it with 1 hand. Not messy either after taking it out a good few times (have a spare battery which makes flying time nice)

justin00 said:
you guys mentioned alot of you recently discovered gimbal screw was loose.. where it was this exactly ?? I can't find it.. can only find the 4 or 5 holding the entire housing on... the actual gimbal seems to be connected via a metal bolt/screw that moves around but it has no head you can tighten etc..

On one "ear" of the gimbal you'll see a semi-rectangular rubber stopper. Pop that stopper off with a small flathead screwdriver to expose the screw.

I idle for about 30s after I have a good GPS fix and before takeoff. Listen for any odd sounds, look for any rotor that's out of sync with the others, and make sure all my telemetry is about right before I start sending over a thousand dollars in the air.

i read somewhere (maybe here) that the motors are good for about 80 hours of flight. I record all of my flights start to finish. I did it just automatically, and I'm glad I did because now I can estimate how many hours are on the motors. I'd rather spend the money to replace them than find out the hard way that one went bad..... especially at 300 feet.

Hi fellow pilots

Here is my contribution regarding with the check list (pocket size for better handling)

please your comments are always welcome

Attachments

• check list pocket size.PNG
    check list pocket size.PNG
    74.6 KB · Views: 9,035

I recently had to open my Phantom Vision and transplant its guts to a new shell. Before that I never considered open the shell for visual inspections, but after had to do it because of a crash, it is not big deal. I positively recommend every owner to take a look inside every 2 or 3 months. You'll be more attached after this. ;)

I am an admittedly newbie here...having only flown my P2V+ a few times since purchasing it. But what I also am is a helicopter and fixed-wing pilot. I would NEVER leave the ground in a helicopter or airplane without a thorough pre-flight check. Whether it's a full-size aircraft, or a UAV like the PV2+, too many things can go wrong, with disastrous results. A few minutes before a flight can save you a bunch of grief during a flight, IMHO.

My $.02. YMMV.

Evening all,

I've been toying with putting together a schedule of preventative maintenance measures to hopefully head-off any physical/mechanical issues at the pass and keep our tallies of landings equalling the take-offs. Comments, criticisms, additions and subtractions welcome.

BEFORE & AFTER EVERY FLIGHT
* Check condition of props (run finger along leading and trailing edges, flex both blades to check for hairline cracks);
* Check motor shafts have no free play (missing E clip? Loose bell housing screw? Bad bearings?);
* Check motors move freely when spun by hand;
* Check condition of battery spade connectors and data pins (level, free movement, clean);
* Check camera mounts are secure (and any other attachments, e.g. Flytrex core);
* When powered up and idling confirm no unusual noise or vibration from motors.

EVERY WEEK or EVERY 10 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Visual inspection of shell and other plastic components for cracking/damage (landing skids, camera mounting plates, etc.);
* Check tightness of motor retaining screws and shell retaining screws (both 2.0mm hex);
* Clean data spring pins and battery contact pads with alcohol and swab or proprietary electrical contact cleaner and cycle spring pins several times to check for spring weakness and full unimpeded travel;
* Plug in to Vision Assistant and check tx & IMU calibration state and all battery cells have good balance (repeat for all batteries);
* Check batteries for number of cycles and discharge per DJI recommendations if required.

EVERY MONTH or EVERY 40 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Remove upper shell and check state of all wiring - plugs fully seated, condition of all solder joints, condition of visible circuit boards and wiring runs, internals generally clean and no debris/loose items.
* Remove motors and check security of E clips, condition of bearings and general visual inspection.
* Remove rubber cover from Vision camera servol mounting point and check tightness of the small cross-head screw.

All thoughts welcome...
This sounds like a good start; prevention is better than cure and there is no harm done by what you suggest. The way the regulators are going I think that any approved operator is eventually going to have to prove they have some sort of maintenance programme as part of a congested area operating safety case. Yesterday I did my first hand catch rather than land and thought that the vibration level seemd high. That might be due to prop balance but it gave me food for thought on checking. I saw your suggested check list today and will do something similar.

Yep. There is no specified manufacturer warranty as things stand. Only whatever implied warranties your local consumer protection laws put on any sale of goods. Here in the UK anything sold by a commercial outfit has an implied 1 year warranty against defects in normal use, but its against the outfit you bought from.

In the R/C world, taking things apart to make them better is a long-standing tradition. I added a strobe light on top of my P2V, mostly because I wanted to know if it would work. (answer: yes, nicely). When I use it for training anyone nearby is asked to stay way and shut up any time it's flashing.

Hi Folks,
I know I'm late to the Phantom party but I am very interested in the current state of the maintenance check list. I've had my Phantom 3 Pro for about 5 weeks and taken lots of great video at the shore - with each flight, taking more chances. Well, I had a wake-up call the other day - my copter had a mind of its own. I should have stopped when I noticed the wobble, but I did not. I should have stopped when I got an error message on-screen, but I was unable to read it without my glasses and I missed it before it cleared. I launched and immediately, the copter took off out of control so I lowered it for a controlled "crash" landing. It landed hard but straight then plopped over onto its side.

I checked it out and clicked every "reset" and "re-calibrate" button I could find in the software. I have flown it twice without incident since, but it just doesn't seem right. It seems to have a slight wobble - but I can't tell which rotor. Also, I seem to be compensating for drift - I can't seem to fly perfectly straight.

I am an engineer so I will be looking for a bunch of things - log files for starters - are there any? Second, I am interested in diagnostic software - is there any? Lastly, I found bugs and bug parts in some of the workings - I plan to partially disassemble to clean and remove debris from sensitive areas. I would love to have a "cheat sheet" for what to take apart and what not to take apart.

Thanks in advance! Oh, if you want to see some of my videos, check out http://davidsprogis.com/?page_id=23

Dave

Welcome to the wonderful experience of VRS or Vortex Ring State. I am an expert. Three bad crashes on my part, lucky no damage...amazing.

Do not manually descend to fast. light on the down stick and move forward
slowly. Wobble is caused by prop wash.

I built confidence by letting the machine fly and land itself. Either using ground station or right switch down in Naza Mode to do a return to home.

Now night flights and hand catch.....one of the most effective and safe methods of retrieval. Night is good and great training. Still air and unreal connection to machine because of lights. Its all sticks cause nothin to look at but fly!

Have fun, take yer time, be safe lol $$$$

Reactions: Yande

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic