Preventative Maintenance checklist ideas

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've been toying with putting together a schedule of preventative maintenance measures to hopefully head-off any physical/mechanical issues at the pass and keep our tallies of landings equalling the take-offs. Comments, criticisms, additions and subtractions welcome.

BEFORE & AFTER EVERY FLIGHT
* Check condition of props (run finger along leading and trailing edges, flex both blades to check for hairline cracks);
* Check motor shafts have no free play (missing E clip? Loose bell housing screw? Bad bearings?);
* Check motors move freely when spun by hand;
* Check condition of battery spade connectors and data pins (level, free movement, clean);
* Check camera mounts are secure (and any other attachments, e.g. Flytrex core);
* When powered up and idling confirm no unusual noise or vibration from motors.

EVERY WEEK or EVERY 10 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Visual inspection of shell and other plastic components for cracking/damage (landing skids, camera mounting plates, etc.);
* Check tightness of motor retaining screws and shell retaining screws (both 2.0mm hex);
* Clean data spring pins and battery contact pads with alcohol and swab or proprietary electrical contact cleaner and cycle spring pins several times to check for spring weakness and full unimpeded travel;
* Plug in to Vision Assistant and check tx & IMU calibration state and all battery cells have good balance (repeat for all batteries);
* Check batteries for number of cycles and discharge per DJI recommendations if required.

EVERY MONTH or EVERY 40 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Remove upper shell and check state of all wiring - plugs fully seated, condition of all solder joints, condition of visible circuit boards and wiring runs, internals generally clean and no debris/loose items.
* Remove motors and check security of E clips, condition of bearings and general visual inspection.
* Remove rubber cover from Vision camera servol mounting point and check tightness of the small cross-head screw.

All thoughts welcome...

Re: Preventative Maintenance checklists

This is something I purchased to help in detecting bearing wear. Its reasonably priced but super sensitive. I haven't been through any bearing problems yet so I'm still testing it to see how effective it will be.

What I'm doing is I put the tip of the probe against one of the screws that holds the motor in place. Then I can either turn the motor by hand or let them idle (with no propellers). You can "hear" everything that's going on inside the motor. The hope is that it will help to identify a bearing issue before it becomes catastrophic.

This is the only similar unit I found Googling for something like this. It has a cheap feel to it, has a decent price but is super sensitive. I was only able to find it on eBay as everywhere else showed out of stock, so I think its been discontinued.

It is so sensitive that while checking the motors I could hear my breath, even though my face was a couple of feet away. Then I found that it comes with an "air filter", which is that cone shaped piece between the thin metal probe and the main body.

Its called the Audio Tech Probe Sound Diagnostic Tool, by Sonic Technology Products, Inc. In case someone is interested in finding one.

So this is something I'm including in my preventative maintenance list. Thanks for starting this thread PullUp.

Attachments

• IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 11,527

DronePeter said:
Dont overreact , mate !

This is not what the DJI manual says.
I suggest everybody just follow the manual from the manufacturer, that is the best way and more safe!

You act like you are starting to fly a Boeing or somethong like that.
It is just a hobby you know !

Lets keep it that way, mate.

Wish I could afford for over £800 to drop out of the sky because I didn't notice the bearing going on a £20 motor, or that an ESC wire was vibrating loose over time. :(

You'll be telling me next I shouldn't have bought third party liability insurance, or that I should fly over the crowds at the next town carnival... ;)

Rock climbing's only a hobby, too - but you probably want to take a look at the ropes once in a while... :lol:

Jdacal said:
This is something I purchased to help in detecting bearing wear. Its reasonably priced but super sensitive. I haven't been through any bearing problems yet so I'm still testing it to see how effective it will be.

What I'm doing is I put the tip of the probe against one of the screws that holds the motor in place. Then I can either turn the motor by hand or let them idle (with no propellers). You can "hear" everything that's going on inside the motor. The hope is that it will help to identify a bearing issue before it becomes catastrophic.

Interesting bit of kit, thanks for sharing!

Pull_Up said:
Evening all,

I've been toying with putting together a schedule of preventative maintenance measures to hopefully head-off any physical/mechanical issues at the pass and keep our tallies of landings equalling the take-offs. Comments, criticisms, additions and subtractions welcome.

BEFORE & AFTER EVERY FLIGHT
* Check condition of props (run finger along leading and trailing edges);
* Check motor shafts have no free play;
* Check motors move freely when spun by hand;
* Check condition of battery spade connectors and data pins (level, free movement);
* Check camera mounts are secure (and any other attachments, e.g. Flytrex core);
* When powered up and idling confirm no unusual noise or vibration from motors.

EVERY WEEK or EVERY 10 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Visual inspection of shell and other plastic components for cracking/damage (landing skids, camera mounting plates, etc.);
* Check tightness of motor retaining screws and shell retaining screws (both 2.0mm hex);
* Plug in to Vision Assistant and check tx & IMU calibration state and all battery cells have good balance (repeat for all batteries);
* Check batteries for number of cycles and discharge per DJI recommendations if required.

EVERY MONTH or EVERY 40 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Remove upper shell and check state of all wiring - plugs fully seated, condition of all solder joints, condition of visible circuit boards and wiring runs, internals generally clean and no debris/loose items.

All thoughts welcome...

Nice checklist. I recently checked the screws on my own Phantom 2 Vision and found some needed to be tightened up a bit.

The taking the Phantom apart portion of the check list though is not really for the novice user. It also wont show any indication of having cold solder joints or certain other problems. And with people taking their visions apart you run the risk of shorting something out if they touch it and have a static charge built up. Proper precautions would need to be made such as using an anti-static wrist strap or touching something metal / grounded to discharge themselves.

Thanks Ben, yes I found a couple of motor screws that were just starting to slacken off recently, too.

I'm going to disagree about taking the shell off being only for the very experienced - the video in my signature that I made about it shows you that it's not particularly difficult. The way the screw posts are designed (good job, DJI by the way) means you can't trap wires that way, and a bit of common sense when re-seating the shell is all that's required. The NAZA is self-contained so no particular static issues, and the major wires are easily given a gentle wiggle to check for anything that's starting to deteriorate.

Obviously people should never attempt anything they are uncomfortable with, but as DJI sells a full range of parts including NAZA, ESCs, receiver, motors, etc, then I feel they intended for people to get in there when required. But you're right - as with flying, don't do anything outside your comfort zone or skill level until you're ready, and if necessary get help from someone more experienced.

Here's a quick snap of what's under the shell for those that haven't seen it...

IMG_20131204_223557.jpg

1. If you don't like the thread, I have no problem with that.
2 . But if you don't like the thread, why keep reading it?
3. If you keep reading it, but don't like what's being said, why write on it?
4. If you do write on it, don't be rude.

The irony in your last post about behaving like a child is obviously lost on you (a language thing, perhaps?)

I see from the fact that you have ordered a Droneexpert.nl gimbal you have a lot more money to play with than I have - this probably explains why you don't see the need to inspect things for damage/potential failure. I get that. You can just go and buy another one. It's only 1000 euro after all. Well done.

Sadly, the number of people on my "foe" or ignore list has quadrupled in the last 10 days or so (with another one to be added just after I finish typing this). What's happening all of a sudden to attract the numbers of rude, ignorant and selfish people to the forum?!

<clicks username, clicks add to foe list, gets on with life>

I'm all for preventative maintenance. Nothing screams epic fail more than a loose prop nut or prop that fails in flight. In the perfect world everything is maintenance free - I'll stick to checking things over before and after flights so mine doesn't come down in some God forsaken place or on some innocent bystander thank you...

Reactions: kevintennie

Pull_Up said:

The irony in your last post about behaving like a child is obviously lost on you (a language thing, perhaps?)

I see from the fact that you have ordered a Droneexpert.nl gimbal you have a lot more money to play with than I have - this probably explains why you don't see the need to inspect things for damage/potential failure. I get that. You can just go and buy another one. It's only 1000 euro after all. Well done.

Sadly, the number of people on my "foe" or ignore list has quadrupled in the last 10 days or so (with another one to be added just after I finish typing this). What's happening all of a sudden to attract the numbers of rude, ignorant and selfish people to the forum?!

Nice reply Pull Up. I likes your style :twisted:

Shrimpfarmer said:
Pull_Up said:

Nice reply Pull Up. I likes your style :twisted:

Yep, well put. The moderator does seem to be taking action to tidy things up too.

Agree that maintenance is a great idea. For those who say 'this isn't a Boeing..." and 'it's just a hobby', these are the people who are taking off from their Manhattan balcony and flying their Phantom into the sides of skyscrapers until finally crashing at the feet of a pedestrian during rush hour traffic over one of the busiest cities in the world. Point being, yes, for some, these are just 'toys' but that doesn't change the fact that they have potential to cause real harm and or damage to both people and objects. Stay smart and fly safe!

FallingSky said:
What gives you the right to decide preventative maintence on DJI product? None of what YOU wrote is recommended by DJI. And as a matter of fact, opening your case voids your warranty on the PV2 so STOP DPEWING bad advice you toad !

Please show me where DJI state opening the case voids the warranty. Then please show me the tamper-evident seals DJI place on the aircraft to police that policy. Then please explain why DJI sell user-replaceable parts like motors, speed controllers and IMUs.

In fact whilst you're doing that please show me the DJI warranty itself (good luck with that one).

Happy New Year. :roll:

Pull_Up said:
In fact whilst you're doing that please show me the DJI warranty itself (good luck with that one).
When I emailed DJI asking about warranty details, the reply was that they would be released in the "recent future"

Yep. There is no specified manufacturer warranty as things stand. Only whatever implied warranties your local consumer protection laws put on any sale of goods. Here in the UK anything sold by a commercial outfit has an implied 1 year warranty against defects in normal use, but its against the outfit you bought from.

Pull_Up said:
Yep. There is no specified manufacturer warranty as things stand. Only whatever implied warranties your local consumer protection laws put on any sale of goods. Here in the UK anything sold by a commercial outfit has an implied 1 year warranty against defects in normal use, but its against the outfit you bought from.
Here is some DJI Warranty info I found on the UAV Direct Website…..
https://www.uavdirect.com/returns.asp

Apart from referring to non-existant warranty cards and not mentioning the Vision as being included:

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THE DEFECT WAS CAUSED BY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
• The alleged defects:
• Does not exist; or
• Misused by the end users or any third party, which makes it unrepairable ; or
• Failure by improper use or installation, modification,(such as tearing or removing the security label seal and opening or removing the covers), failure to conduct regular maintenance.
• Products are not sold in a brand new condition.
• Failed to follow the product instructions and manual.
• The damage is resulting from the use of the product in a manner other than their normal and customary manner.

That's clear then - you are in breach of the warranty if you fail to conduct regular maintenance. Although it doesn't mention the Vision it does at the bottom mention the (presumably v1) Phantom and states there's no warranty on the "frame" by which I assume they mean the shell of the Phantom - it's effectively an enclosed frame. The only part in the Vision that has a cover that would void a warranty if you tried to get in there is the NAZA itself. Everything else is in the open - ESCs, Rx, GPS board, main circuit board - hence why they are all available (eventually :roll: ) as spares. Interestingly motors are sold with no warranty according to that document. Bit of a pain if you get one where the bearing fails due to manufacture defect after only 50 flights, causing the whole aircraft to plummet, and you didn't check for play in the shaft... Just saying! :)

Reactions: stewball5

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik