DJI DOESN'T STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT. DONE WITH THEM

Reaction score
Buyer Beware! I recently became disabled and my personal therapy in coping with that is to take it to the air and fly. After my purchase of the Phantom 4 I soon realized that the Best Buy promotion of offering an extra battery still left me with much downtime waiting for a charge of that second battery. It takes much effort for me to even get into position to be able to fly. After contacting the local unmanned private airport to inform of them of my planned flight, which they highly appreciate the contact and we have an excellent relationship.

Fast forward to the purchase of two additional batteries and the DJI charging dock which was extremely out of my budget I now have four batteries which I made it a point to take extremely good care of them as I extended myself to even purchase them.

Not long after the purchase of the additional batteries I noticed cracks in the plastic appearing beginning from the LED lights traveling outward and showing what I suspected may be signs of structural stress and became concerned about perhaps it could be a sign that the lithium batteries may be beginning to swell as the Samsung Galaxy batteries did before exploding I immediately contacted DJI for support.

The representing agent I contacted advised me to discontinue use and created a report regarding the circumstances. With the batteries operating properly and holding a charge and showing no signs of malfunction other than cosmetic I offered to send them in to be inspected at my cost just to be on the safe side. I was quickly asked to not do so for fear of a defective battery explosion and to provide them with pictures of the stress cracks and provide the serial numbers to have them replaced by DJI which I promptly did.

A month later still no response from DJI and I'm right back to square one with only two batteries. After a long hold time and being disconnected twice I finally was able to speak with an agent a couple of days later who advised me they had received my correspondence and it was being reviewed and I would be notified when to expect my new batteries. This happened twice more and I was obviously on the back burner so it became very apparent t me that DJI is much more concerned with sales rather than supporting their product.

It was unbeknownst to me that they only offer a 6 month warranty on their near $200 batteries.

Finally contact made today to be told to take a hike since they could not trace an activation date of the batteries via the serial numbers. After nearly four months and four hundred dollars later I became informed that they would not replace the batteries which after four months later are obviously out of warranty.

REALLY?

I recently had eight Duracell AA leak in an equally expensive device leak so I sent it in for inspection and hopefully repair since that model was my ultimate favorite but discontinued. A quick response from Duracell and there was a check in the mail for the replacement cost of that device without hesitation. Right on Duracell for standing by their product.

We all know batteries aren't cheap and can be dangerous at times also so we all practice safety and caution in their handling.

With that being said $400 later and doing everything right and properly maintaining them after limited use I feel totally ripped off.

This aircraft and all accessories have been constantly kept indoors in a controlled environment with much discretion in proper maintenance and care. DJI is aware of the limited use of this aircraft via the internet as well as the obvious perfect condition it is in.

I have relatives deployed in the Yellow Sea and whether China knows it or not we are doing our best to protect their distraught region from a possible military catastrophe.

These batteries work fine so nice work DJI... hopefully they do not explode and I have no reason to remove them from service other than a few cosmetic flaws so I will continue to deploy the batteries which cost me over a weeks labor to purchase and knowingly very few renminbi (yuan) for you to manufacture.

Reactions: mahera
DJI support has been hit or miss with many. I think in a lot of cases, people into drones are RC people who are by nature, DIY types that just fix stuff themselves. I have never used DJI for service and have repaired a couple of drones in the past. That said, there is no excuse for bad service. For those who get good service I wonder if it depends on who you call?

As for the battery cracks this is old news. It's been around this forum for quite awhile. Apparently it's an issue due to spring pressure from inside. The springs that hold the clips in place when locking into the craft. It also seems to indeed be a cosmetic problem having nothing to do with the actual cells. Again, some have had this problem while others haven't. I say keep using them and continue to call out bad service. Maybe they will get better.

Geo

Reactions: SurfingTech
Yep sometimes DJI is not easy to deal with. As for your batteries, some batteries will crack in the cover, this is mostly caused by us the pilots, one of my 4 batteries has a very small crack that I have locktite glued last year and it's still holding. When you depress the buttons to pull down the lock tabs the button springs back end pushes out on the battery cover, don't push to hard, only use enough force to clear the lock tabs to the craft. If we push too hard we put too much force on the cover by bottoming out the spring and cause the crack. The cover crack is not caused by your battery swelling, glue it and check in GO and Airdata the condition of your batteries. Once glued you will soon forget about the crack in your very expensive battery and enjoy your craft. Push gently and fly safe.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31