Preventative Maintenance checklist ideas

Re: Preventative Maintenance checklists

thanks for the info, pity they couldnt program the board to detect loss of current to one motor, cut power to the opposite motor, then make emergency decent on the other two, not sure if this is possible

shortyuk said:
thanks for the info, pity they couldnt program the board to detect loss of current to one motor, cut power to the opposite motor, then make emergency decent on the other two, not sure if this is possible

Well it should be possible. The drone would rotate fast but you should still be able to lower it down. I realise the PV has not got this ability but I watched a talk on Ted Talks recently where they disabled a quadcopter by cutting off two of its rotors and it was still controllable.

Shrimpfarmer said:
shortyuk said:

Well it should be possible. The drone would rotate fast but you should still be able to lower it down. I realise the PV has not got this ability but I watched a talk on Ted Talks recently where they disabled a quadcopter by cutting off two of its rotors and it was still controllable.
I saw that too, ages ago!

http://www.ted.com/talks/raffaello_d_an ... pters.html

So it was quite surprising to see a recent report that a Swiss company has applied to patent the algorithm. It seems like there must be some prior art from Raffaello D'Andrea's team.

https://www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-events/ ... safer.html

Re: STICKY: Preventative Maintenance checklist ideas

so to prevent flying away, should you fly in the naza mode? with s1, top on gps, middle on atti and lowest on RTH or manual?

so if i loose video, just switch to RTH, and once it is near me switch to atti?

if you still have video, but you don't have control over the vision, what do you do than? switch off the tx?

As someone with no previous RC experience and no technical knowledge - appreciate this list.

I'll probably start with the easy stuff and work my way up to removing covers and such as my confidence builds.

Good call, although the only risks involved in taking the covers of are stripping one of the phillips screws (you do need a good quality, small screwdriver for that) or pinching a wire when closing. The latter will only happen if you're being particularly ham-fisted, though!

Pull_Up said:
Good call, although the only risks involved in taking the covers of are stripping one of the phillips screws (you do need a good quality, small screwdriver for that) or pinching a wire when closing. The latter will only happen if you're being particularly ham-fisted, though!

I'll try to avoid any ham fisting.

Thanks for the check list very informative and a must for anyone that's serious.
Helps protect your investment and anyone in the vicinity in case of a faulty craft.

So I've heard of people wanting to lubricate the sealed bearings. Others say that's crazy talk and that greasing/oiling a sealed bearing will just cause it to collect dust more easily, making things worse. ???

Yea, that's what I'll do. I wonder how frequently they even fail?

Don't know, but they are the same motors as are in the later-model Phantom v1 so those guys might be able to give an idea. It's probably going to be an average number of flying hours before failure, so those fortunate enough to live in sunny climes will probably hit the bad bearing point long before those of us in the more northerly latitudes who just can't get out as much. :(

Tip: DO NOT USE LOCTITE! Even though the screws go into metal parts, if the Loctite touches plastic parts, they will just melt. (Unfortunately I'm speaking from experience :oops: )

Quality Sticky - I learnt my lesson with checking screws on my Losi 5ive petrol truck. First outing and it came back with 3 of the 4 engine securing bolts missing. Costly damage. But for some reason I wasn't thinking maintenance on the Phantom at all. I guess it's because it has a solid quality yet light feel to it.

For what it's worth, (not much) I am in full agreement with the OP on PM. As an Army OH58/UH1 and later a UH60 crew chief and Phase Maintenance team leader I cannot count the number of times a routine PM check reveled a potential issue that could have affected the safety of the A/C and crew (ME!). Anything that has the potential to drop out of the sky and hurt someone had better be given scheduled and Documented PM. I have a log book and log every flight, how many batteries used and how many times they were charged, as well as location, max altitude attained and duration of flight. Also when and what I safety checked. To much information you say?, not when the authorities start asking why you had a fly away and it happened to konk someone on the head. I want to be able to show I did my due diligence in maintaining my craft.

F6Rider said:
For what it's worth, (not much) I am in full agreement with the OP on PM. As an Army OH58/UH1 and later a UH60 crew chief and Phase Maintenance team leader I cannot count the number of times a routine PM check reveled a potential issue that could have affected the safety of the A/C and crew (ME!). Anything that has the potential to drop out of the sky and hurt someone had better be given scheduled and Documented PM. I have a log book and log every flight, how many batteries used and how many times they were charged, as well as location, max altitude attained and duration of flight. Also when and what I safety checked. To much information you say?, not when the authorities start asking why you had a fly away and it happened to konk someone on the head. I want to be able to show I did my due diligence in maintaining my craft.

Well said, it's time to do it myself! Thanks for your input.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31