POLL - Who's Got Cracking on their P3 and Who Has Not?

Who has / not had issues with cracking in their P3 aircraft

• Yes, I HAVE had cracks appear

• No, I have NOT had cracks appear

Results are only viewable after voting.
full
Bought my P3s second hand, noticed hairline cracks on two arms on third flight. New shell installed, reinforced inside around motor mount holes with epoxy and installed aluminium brackets.

Reactions: rounsavc
I have just received back my P3P from its repairs after its altercation with a tree that 'jumped into its path' ...

The AC looks pristine ... I know the upper shell was cracked in two places after its tumble. But lower shell as far as I could see was OK. Looking at the returned AC - I think they have replaced top and bottom shell.

Anyway .. I propose this .............

I will fly this AC without the plates fitted and see how long it lasts - if cracks appear - we will have a time line ........ I am confident I can repair any cracks that might appear ... I have the 'techno' !!

Hows that Numone ?

Nigel

Reactions: Numone
I have just received back my P3P from its repairs after its altercation with a tree that 'jumped into its path' ...

The AC looks pristine ... I know the upper shell was cracked in two places after its tumble. But lower shell as far as I could see was OK. Looking at the returned AC - I think they have replaced top and bottom shell.

Anyway .. I propose this .............

I will fly this AC without the plates fitted and see how long it lasts - if cracks appear - we will have a time line ........ I am confident I can repair any cracks that might appear ... I have the 'techno' !!

Hows that Numone ?

Nigel
Sounds good to me Nigel! :)

OK .. done .

I will not hold you for repairs cost of it cracks !! OK !

;)

Nigel

First picture p34k front left arm,,,
1512542042833798589206.jpg
and right rear arm,or vise versa,depending which way pic comes out,either way I don't fly this no more,p3s got no cracks and more kms than all my drones
1512541877590-1399831502.jpg

Oh yes.... PLEASE check the tightness of the bolts, mate, and back off where necessary; they really don't need to be more than just a bit more than finger tight.

I'm of two minds ...

To leave as returned to me by DJI Tech ... just make sure nothing loose. Which is what I would expect majority people to do. That way we get a result relative to most peoples actions ...

or

Slack back a touch as you ask - which is a 'modification' ...

I'm weighing up in my mind which is most informative ...

Second - if I 'break' the threadlock that DJI uses - means I will apply new threadlock as I am against not using it - especially if the screws are slacked any amount.

Nigel

I'm of two minds ...

To leave as returned to me by DJI Tech ... just make sure nothing loose. Which is what I would expect majority people to do. That way we get a result relative to most peoples actions ...

or

Slack back a touch as you ask - which is a 'modification' ...

I'm weighing up in my mind which is most informative ...

Second - if I 'break' the threadlock that DJI uses - means I will apply new threadlock as I am against not using it - especially if the screws are slacked any amount.

Nigel

Either way, your call, of course...

I thought it'd be worth having a poll to gauge the number of pilots who've had issues with their shell cracking.

Moderators, I've searched and couldn't find any poll on this subject but if I've missed it, please delete and point me to the poll please.

I had to have a new body fitted because of stress cracks by the motors.
My P3Adv HAD NEVER BEEN CRASHED!
I haven't been able to add my case to the poll so you can consider that there's at least 59 Yes now.

I saw an example of a fix using baking powder and superglue. Anyone else tried this?
Thats a pretty common thing around RC model planes i think either being built OR rebuilt after a crash !...it adds body to the thin super glue and fills a crack much better too Our drone bodys are made from Styrene plastic and this Rapid Fix :
The glue has the consistency of thin syrup so it can flow into cracks, and dries clear to make repairs almost invisible. All joints achieve maximum strength within 24 hours.

Not recommended for joining porous materials, polyethylene or polypropylene plastics, or Teflon®.

Supplied with the adhesive, the silica-based "welding" powder is used for gap filling. Apply alternating thin layers of glue and powder to solidify the glue within seconds, building up a tough patch that can be sanded, drilled or painted. The powder also helps to bulk up joints for added strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apilot101 and JoBe
I had prop guards on for a while and I removed them today. When tacking the fittings off under the motors I noticed 2 cracks on 2 of the arms near the area under the props.

Thats a pretty common thing around RC model planes i think either being built OR rebuilt after a crash !...it adds body to the thin super glue and fills a crack much better too Our drone bodys are made from Styrene plastic and this Rapid Fix :
The glue has the consistency of thin syrup so it can flow into cracks, and dries clear to make repairs almost invisible. All joints achieve maximum strength within 24 hours.

Not recommended for joining porous materials, polyethylene or polypropylene plastics, or Teflon®.

Supplied with the adhesive, the silica-based "welding" powder is used for gap filling. Apply alternating thin layers of glue and powder to solidify the glue within seconds, building up a tough patch that can be sanded, drilled or painted. The powder also helps to bulk up joints for added strength.

PU glue which foams with water vapour can gap fill etc. very good. (Brand name if you want to pay their price : Gorilla Glue ........... Generic name : Polyurethane Glue).

Nigel

Anyone else? I ask as I'm amazed that the poll ratio is so close and on this basis alone, DJI should be going bust!

They have known all the life of the P3's ......... you think a poll here is going to change them ?

They are sitting at top of the Drone Camera tree .......... others have tried to compete but for one reason or another have failed to topple DJI off.

Also do not forget that DJI revenue is also a large part from INDUSTRIAL ... not hobby .......... WE are lower down the list !!

Nigel

They have known all the life of the P3's ......... you think a poll here is going to change them ?

They are sitting at top of the Drone Camera tree .......... others have tried to compete but for one reason or another have failed to topple DJI off.

Also do not forget that DJI revenue is also a large part from INDUSTRIAL ... not hobby .......... WE are lower down the list !!

Nigel

You actually believe the pro kit gives DJI the ROI and profitability that the Phantom ranges have and continue to bring, and that 50% suffer cracking? Sorry Nigel but you're talking utter nonsense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1