POLL - Who's Got Cracking on their P3 and Who Has Not?

Who has / not had issues with cracking in their P3 aircraft

• Yes, I HAVE had cracks appear

• No, I have NOT had cracks appear

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the addition of the all the differing "strengthening" plates themselves makes not a jot of difference to the integrity of the fasteners, which appears to be where 90% of the cracking occurs; it's the fact the bolts have been removed and retightened to a lower torque which has then removed the compression of the plastic and thereby, the stress, which has made the difference.

Sorry but that is your opinion that is not universal. It may have popular following. My view is torque and the fact that motor stress is carried only by the bottom shell instead of a distributed stress as would carry it better.

But even so regardless of your / others / my view on why - the fact remains that some have cracks WITH plates ... some have cracks WITHOUT ... all valid in my view.

Its your poll - but in creating a poll - it is incumbent on the creator to not try to influence or pass judgements on why / what or where.
It is also a pain but as a creator - you must also accept that some may not agree with the structure or make-up of a poll.

Only being honest. Your poll.

Nigel

Sorry but that is your opinion that is not universal. It may have popular following. My view is torque and the fact that motor stress is carried only by the bottom shell instead of a distributed stress as would carry it better.

But even so regardless of your / others / my view on why - the fact remains that some have cracks WITH plates ... some have cracks WITHOUT ... all valid in my view.

Its your poll - but in creating a poll - it is incumbent on the creator to not try to influence or pass judgements on why / what or where.
It is also a pain but as a creator - you must also accept that some may not agree with the structure or make-up of a poll.

Only being honest. Your poll.

Nigel

IIRC, I've never expressed my opinion as being anything other than just that; I've just had a lot of experience in styrene injection moulding, that's all. And it's a fact that some have zero cracks too.
I'm sorry, but I think it's utter nonsense to state that creating a poll means one can't express said opinion in the comments - I've just checked the terms too, and there doesn't appear to be anything there Regarding this either?

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
P3S cracked under rear motors.
I do not know when the cracks occurred as I just happened to be reading that people were seeing cracks and I decided to have a look. Had less than 6 hours of flight time - nothing radical as it was spaced out over ten months or so.
Sent the aircraft to DJI and it was covered under warranty. They did not replace shell but sent a new (to me at least) P3S in its place.
New P3S seems to fly fine but I am having trouble getting rid of flight restrictions. Have logged out and back into Go several times with no luck. Also reinstalled Go with no luck. Just the same message to remove restrictions in settings.
Litchi flys fine though and I am sure that when the new update looks stable enough and I upgrade it should clear itself up - perhaps.
small shell crack .jpg three large cracks.jpg

* also installed plates under motors as warranty has run out - will see if they work *

Personally I don’t use plates as I have a fear it will just hide cracks happening underneath. Also the extra weight of the plates will cause the screws to double the vibration on the threads causing more risks to make it crack. This is just a total guess but so far over a year of flying with no plates and a few drops I had no problems

IIRC, I've never expressed my opinion as being anything other than just that; I've just had a lot of experience in styrene injection moulding, that's all. And it's a fact that some have zero cracks too.
I'm sorry, but I think it's utter nonsense to state that creating a poll means one can't express said opinion in the comments - I've just checked the terms too, and there doesn't appear to be anything there Regarding this either?

Please don't bo so sensitive or uppity ...

Polls usually carry an accepted part that they be allowed to run and be answered without influence. Nothing to do with terms ...

Blimey - you'd think I'd stolen the Crown Jewels.

Nigel

Personally I don’t use plates as I have a fear it will just hide cracks happening underneath. Also the extra weight of the plates will cause the screws to double the vibration on the threads causing more risks to make it crack. This is just a total guess but so far over a year of flying with no plates and a few drops I had no problems

The weight ? Negligible .... in fact a lot less than DJI's own addition guards etc.

They also brace the weaker arm section as they have 6 bolts not 4.

Nigel

Reactions: Neon Euc
The weight ? Negligible .... in fact a lot less than DJI's own addition guards etc.

They also brace the weaker arm section as they have 6 bolts not 4.

Nigel
Do you know how much they weigh? From memory the strong arm CNC aluminium plates were 12gm. That’s almost a minute shaved off the flight time @1.2s/gram payload penalty. Probably acceptable if they solve the problem. I have had 3 P3 shells develop arm cracks now that seem to originate from the motor mount bosses. I might order some in. The problem is seemingly the material (polystyrene), cheap light and easy to mould and molecular alignment around the right corners into the bosses. They want to crack even before any torque is applied with the mounting screws.

Total weight of 4 plates and the extra standoff tubes (I discount the screws / bolts as they replace existing)
I just measured at 17gr.

That's just a smite over 4gr per plate.

As to a minute of flight time ? Because we never fly same twice and that the over 20mins flight time DJI advertise is rarely achieved unless exceptionally careful flying with basically all turned OFF ... si that minute that important ?
My flights never changed with or without.

Nigel

;);)
Please don't bo so sensitive or uppity ...

Polls usually carry an accepted part that they be allowed to run and be answered without influence. Nothing to do with terms ...

Blimey - you'd think I'd stolen the Crown Jewels.

Nigel
<sigh>... don't you just love a wind up. Well, you've certainly added your opinion within this poll so I guess we're quits. ;)

Total weight of 4 plates and the extra standoff tubes (I discount the screws / bolts as they replace existing)
I just measured at 17gr.

That's just a smite over 4gr per plate.

As to a minute of flight time ? Because we never fly same twice and that the over 20mins flight time DJI advertise is rarely achieved unless exceptionally careful flying with basically all turned OFF ... si that minute that important ?
My flights never changed with or without.

Nigel
No need to get quite so uppity there, Nigel....

I've had my P3P for over a year and it's been in for repair twice for forward arm cracks. Fixed and returned at no cost each time. So far no issues this time but time will tell.

I've had my P3P for over 2 years, bought new in June 2015. Except for bad weather, I fly it weekly. Zero cracks anywhere. Still have the original props on that have never been removed. Running firmware 1.3.20 that was installed back in 2015 with zero need/desire to update. It's all been 100% reliable with no issues. ... knock on wood... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl