POLL CLOSED: Results of 107 Pass Rates?

(Anonymous) Did you pass the 107 Knowledge test at the FAA testing center?

• Yes, it was a breeze

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Yes, but I was challenged

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No, I need to study more

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I failed it twice!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi. New forum member here (been lurking for months though). I passed my exam this afternoon, just barely with a 78. The free study guides from sarahnilsson.org and Jonathan Rupprecht was what I used to study.

Reactions: Falcon900
Hi. New forum member here (been lurking for months though). I passed my exam this afternoon, just barely with a 78. The free study guides from sarahnilsson.org and Jonathan Rupprecht was what I used to study.

CONGRATS!!!!! Is that all the material you used to study? And which area did u have a hard time with? If you dont mind me asking

Reactions: Ray of Light
CONGRATS!!!!! Is that all the material you used to study? And which area did u have a hard time with? If you dont mind me asking

Yes those two guides were all the material I used other than googling some things I wanted more detail on. A coworker of mine also gave me a sectional chart he had. I think a number of the questions I got wrong were on sectional charts and/or airspace classification. So study up on those topics!

Took mine today - 92%. Was the best they'd had anyone do yet, so that made me feel a little better! Apparently one guy got a 55 yesterday.

Others have nailed it regarding how to prep; guys, be *sure* you know your sectional charts, and not only how to interpret what's there, but also the default characteristics of the different classes of airspace and what you're expected to know about them without any additional information.

I really gotta hand it to the FAA here. I've not been very reserved in thinking some of the rules have been foolish (i.e. that you need to be commercially certified in order for your church to use a photo you took) but this test was spot on. It was very relevant to drone usage, unlike all the ridiculousness involved in the 333. I flew GA 15 years ago, so I did it and I get it, but so much just isn't relevant for drones. The 107, however, is a different story; every question was directly related to the safe use of a drone. I became aware as I took the test that even the act of taking the test itself was an educational experience; the FAA's goal here is for drone pilots to be aware of the right ways to fly safely in different situations and airspaces. It's not about some mindless adherence to draconian and unnecessary rules; it's about flying drones safely and keeping them out of the engines and windscreens of planes.

So - as you prep for the test, know that you're not only doing it to pass the test and get your commercial certification, but you're becoming a much more informed and safer drone pilot. This info is truly important and I'm a better pilot for having gone through it.

UPDATE....

The FAA IACRA system found my test and I was able to complete my application. I should have my temp. certificate in 24 hours.

Now I just need to buy a sUAS and learn to fly it.

be *sure* you know your sectional charts, and not only how to interpret what's there, but also the default characteristics of the different classes of airspace
Useful feedback. I am not a pilot and have been studying to present tomorrow. Is there a lot on TAFs, I can do METARs but TAFS seem challenging. What about VFR rules to be in each airspace, do i have to memorize those? thanks in advance for your comments.

Useful feedback. I am not a pilot and have been studying to present tomorrow. Is there a lot on TAFs, I can do METARs but TAFS seem challenging. What about VFR rules to be in each airspace, do i have to memorize those? thanks in advance for your comments.
Everyone's test bank is different... I had maybe 3 questions where I had to decipher weather reports and 2/3 were METAR.
Quick TAF Youtube Video

When taking your exam, don't forget that the legend to the sectionals and supplements are in front of the exam book.
On the scratch paper I kept a running list of the questions I was unsure of the answer. I found one question on the chart supplement was asked again in a different way which allowed me to make sure the previous one was correct.

Yes, I had a similar experience with "discovering" a correct answer later on in the test. Fortunately you can go back anytime and skip anything you want - very easy to navigate around.

I didn't have any TAFs and just one METAR; apparently the tests are different.

Regarding airspaces, I worry a lot about VFR rules, but *do* be sure say if something is class B airspace, what that means as far as altitudes and airspaces for the different layers. So basically - if you are a drone pilot about to fly in/around a class B airport, where are you allowed to fly and how do you do so following the proper procedures? That kind of stuff.

Good luck all!!

>> I didn't have any TAFs and just one METAR; apparently the tests are different.

The test is a random 60 questions from an unknown pool of questions. It is luck of the draw of which ones you get. I am sure it is a minimum % of x category and then a miscellaneous % of catch-all to fill it out. Was surprised to see the a number of risk management items on mine.

Howdy, Maverick. I'm still waiting on a response.

Reactions: tgmaverick
Howdy, Maverick. I'm still waiting on a response.

I know it's early in the process and they probably still have some things to iron out, but do you think this is something that is going to take a couple days to get authorization every time? If you don't mind sharing, when did you request authorization for and how long?

I made the authorization as easy as possible for them. I gave them the lats/longs for a point 3 miles south of a Class D airport in a sparsely populated area and perpendicular to the approach/departure courses. I told them I'd be flying 200 feet and below. This should be a really easy one for them to accept.

What is really interesting is that the FAA has given over 70 waivers (we were told that we should allow up to 90 days for waivers to be processed), but so far, no airspace authorizations. Backwards from what we all expected.

Reactions: tgmaverick
How many questions are in that quiz that you linked?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic