POLL CLOSED: Results of 107 Pass Rates?

(Anonymous) Did you pass the 107 Knowledge test at the FAA testing center?

• Yes, it was a breeze

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Yes, but I was challenged

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No, I need to study more

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I failed it twice!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What were the "Loads" questions? I know with private pilots there is the CG stuff, but on a drone what other than maximum weight to carry?

Do they use the sectional for your area (Downloadable sectionals are here: VFR Raster Charts ) or some other?
I'm pretty sure all of the charts and stuff are there "Test Supplement." That's pretty standard for these types of tests. Do a search for the "Airman's Knowledge Test Supplement." It's a PDF. That's what they refer to in the sample exam as well.

My experience exactly! My test questions appear to have been very similar to those described by Jkrens. IMO, several of the questions covered the same material as almost every sample test that I took, but not one of them worded in the same way or asked for the same info. Be ready to use a sectional to figure out where/when you can fly and who you might need to contact if/when you do. Reading weather reports is a must.
Just tried to apply online, and IACRA couldn't find my test yet. Also, be careful - My name is listed on my Part 61 certificate with my full middle name, but my license (used by the test center for ID) only has my middle name which is how the test proctor entered it. Bet this is going to give me some heartburn trying to reconcile the 2!

Richard, it said it may take up to 48 hours to upload on the system.

Also, where in Ohio are you? I am in Dayton.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm pretty sure all of the charts and stuff are there "Test Supplement." That's pretty standard for these types of tests. Do a search for the "Airman's Knowledge Test Supplement." It's a PDF. That's what they refer to in the sample exam as well.

Yes, exactly his. You are provided a hard copy of FAA-CT-8080-2G found here:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

If you have been studying the study guide and sample questions, you should already be familiar with this.

Reactions: Falcon900
I've been studying the regulations and sectionals pretty heavily so far. I know I need to go over weather, weather briefs/reports, and loads (apparently). Was there much on airport operations or radio communications?

Yes- it is that exact test supplement and includes all pages of that PDF in the book form of it, including the chart legend at the beginning of that supplement book.
If you take the part 61 online test the FAA has already licensed pilots, combined with the charter users guide, and the free FAA Part 107 study guide they came out with a couple of weeks ago and hit youtube up for the many, many free online videos showing chart reading, weather info, basic piloting info, etc. you should do just fine.
The chart stuff felt intimidating to me at first as I began to study them over the last few weeks but at the end of the day it is just a map...just like the topo maps used for backcoutnry wilderness travel, nautical charts for america's waterways, etc. so as long as you know how to read charts (my nautical background may have helped here), etc is really just a matter of learning the code and symbols for this application.
Saying all that- I'd have a lot more I'd need to study up on to get a private pilot license which I do think I am going to pursue for the fun of it as I really found myself enjoying learning all of this material and the thought of being up in the air on my own sounds pretty interesting to me. :)

First time post.

I passed with a 90%.
I am not kidding...my test was 75% sectional chart reference. Luckily I am familiar with charts from a ground school I took a few years ago and I did study up on charts prior to the test. CHARTS AND AIRSPACE!

I've been studying the regulations and sectionals pretty heavily so far. I know I need to go over weather, weather briefs/reports, and loads (apparently). Was there much on airport operations or radio communications?

I had zero communication questions OTHER than locating specific frequencies on the sectionals.

Reactions: jofus
First time post.

I passed with a 90%.
I am not kidding...my test was 75% sectional chart reference. Luckily I am familiar with charts from a ground school I took a few years ago and I did study up on charts prior to the test. CHARTS AND AIRSPACE!

Congrats!

Yup, lots of charts.. "You are surveying a tower 2 NM southeast of Podunk Airport. You plan to fly at the maximum altitude over the tower. What class airspace will you be flying in?"

So you need to be able to identify the airport, figure out the scale and decide which is the tower 2 NM away, how high it is, add your 400' on to that, and figure out what airspace you are in at that position and altitude. This kind of complex question wasn't on the practice exam.

Oh - density altitude.. Study that too.

Richard, it said it may take up to 48 hours to upload on the system.

Also, where in Ohio are you? I am in Dayton.

Yeah, I know! Just got excited to finish the application!
I'm in Springfield. My bird is back to DJI right now for cracks in the lower shell below the motor, but when it comes back, we should scout out some sites to fly together.

I wondered about the accuracy myself of the article with it being CNET and not a drone authority.

You get the results immediately, but you can not apply via IACRA until the results make it to the FAA. That can take between 24-48 hours. After that you can fill out the online form, and the TSA starts your background check.

"Digital Trends" posted something on the time it takes to get the license here: What aerial photographers need to know about FAA’s new drone laws

Quote:

"Once potential drone pilots pass the test, they’re required to fill out an FAA Airman Certificate application. Then, if approved, they’ll get a temporary license within 10 days and a permanent certificate within 120 days."

They also mention FAA waivers may take 90 days too. Sort of like taking two months to get a forest service one-day film permit, and damhik either!

Are the FSDO's charging for the certificates? Also, if you are a private pilot like me, does anyone know if this will be an add on to your current certificate, such as a rating on the back? Or will it be a separate certificate?

Are the FSDO's charging for the certificates? Also, if you are a private pilot like me, does anyone know if this will be an add on to your current certificate, such as a rating on the back? Or will it be a separate certificate?

If you're "current" with your Part 61 then you only take the ONLINE test and them follow the hoop parade to get your certificate.

I'm going tomorrow to meet with my CFI to process the certificate and it's $100. It's an "endorsement" on your current rating.

Here are some basic Part 61 suggestions for you to read over:
Part 107 for current Part 61 Certificate holders

I failed today with a 68%. Too much airspace and airplane communications questions I didn't see in the free stuff online.

Another person took their test at the same time and scored a 98%. He said he bought a study guide from dronepilotsolutions.com that had a lot more in it that helped him.

:(

These helped me a lot:

Drone Knowledge Test Prep
Reading the Sectional Charts
Airspace
Airspace guide - USA (chart reading tutorial) • C-Aviation

I hope they are helpful for you as well.

Reactions: Falcon900 and MichE
I failed today with a 68%. Too much airspace and airplane communications questions I didn't see in the free stuff online.

Another person took their test at the same time and scored a 98%. He said he bought a study guide from dronepilotsolutions.com that had a lot more in it that helped him.
Mich E. Thanks for having the guts to post that you didn't pass. We appreciate your insight.

I have been using droneknowledgetestprep.com to see how I'm doing, but it's still a shot in the dark to some degree. It's a database of 300+ questions they throw at you. That is the only thing I've bought. Prepping for this has been all the free stuff.

Annnnd the test has not yet been uploaded to the FAA according to IACRA. This is like getting a cool Christmas present and not being able to play with it. :D

Reactions: Nickster and jbwill

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik