POLL CLOSED: Results of 107 Pass Rates?

(Anonymous) Did you pass the 107 Knowledge test at the FAA testing center?

• Yes, it was a breeze

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Yes, but I was challenged

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No, I need to study more

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I failed it twice!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The video series on youtube here is great for a beginner like me:

This might be a useful resource for those who are looking for free training but are a bit intimidated to jump right into the thorough, but meaty guides like Nilsson and Rupprechts'. (Haven't seen this video series referenced in this thread, but sorry if I missed it). I literally took 50 pages of notes as I watched! So much to learn.

I think he meant to ask, how did you like the Ruprecht Law presentation. ;)
LOL...well both sites are good...they tell you the relevant information so you don't get lost in the web. They point out to great public youtubes. The discussion of the answers of the sample FAA test by Rupprecht is outstanding. The links of Sara direct you to useful sites, like one with old test samples.

My first post here on this forum and happy to report that I passed on Monday (the 29th) with a much higher score than I expected given my confidence in answering the questions. I passed part 61 written exam 20 years ago (but never completed check ride for private license) so I had experience with a lot of the questions and then put in about 10 - 12 hours of brush up in the week proceeding the test. I think the computer I used on Monday was the same machine I used 20 years ago!

I agree with most all of the posts here that you def need to understand how to read charts, understand airspace, some radio questions and don't assume questions are targeted towards rotary equipment. At least half dozen questions specific to fixed-wing machines. You also need to understand the risk assessment and crew management methodologies, which is a really boring read but to answer the questions you need to have reviewed that material at least once.

The only other thing I would say about the test is that I think it is going to do a good job of weeding out folks who think they are going in for something on par with a drivers license test and will learn the hard way that commercial flight whether in manned or unmanned equipment is something to take seriously. Hopefully that will keep the industry going strong.

Best of luck to anyone scheduled for a test this coming week.

Reactions: Squirrel!
...passed thursday with 95% - I would highly recommend "drone pilot ground school" with Alan Perlman - bit pricey at $250-300, but couldn't imagine a better course to prepare for 107 - kudos to that operation! - my one oddball question that caught me out:

Q: If you change address, how long do you have to notify the FAA?

(...totally guessed right, but still not sure of answer!)

Reactions: Falcon900
Passed today with 80% after about a month of self-study and no prior aeronautical experience. Felt confident going in that I would score 85% or better, but still happy to have passed. Definitely a challenging test. There's no way you're going to pass this if you don't know your stuff. FAA did a good job coming up with a test that will root out those who aren't serious about learning the material. Good luck to everybody!

what is this test? I have not herd of it, do I need to?

No, if you fly recreationally you do not need to take the test or have a license. Here is what is confusing a lot of people. This test is ONLY if you plan to fly commercially, and here's the kicker; if you're licensed and think you can use the license to have more freedom when you fly recreationally, you'd be wrong. For instance, I took my mom out flying today. It was for recreation. My license (this is a hypothetical because I haven't received my temporary or standard one yet) was worthless, because I was still restricted by the same rules as any other recreational pilot. I was not allowed to fly within 5 miles of an airport, unlike if I was licensed I could have as long as I let ATC know through their new website for drone pilots. My license only helps me if I was flying today and being paid for it. Hope this has helped.

Peace

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just a reminder to take the poll after you take you FAA exam. Check the top of this thread.

Thanks!

No, if you fly recreationally you do not need to take the test or have a license. Here is what is confusing a lot of people. This test is ONLY if you plan to fly commercially, and here's the kicker; if you're licensed and think you can use the license to have more freedom when you fly recreationally, you'd be wrong. For instance, I took my mom out flying today. It was for recreation. My license (this is a hypothetical because I haven't received my temporary or standard one yet) was worthless, because I was still restricted by the same rules as any other recreational pilot. I was not allowed to fly within 5 miles of an airport, unlike if I was licensed I could have as long as I let ATC know through their new website for drone pilots. My license only helps me if I was flying today and being paid for it. Hope this has helped.

Peace

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You need to make the distinction between airports in controlled airspace and airports in uncontrolled class G airspace. Once you have the 107 certificate, you are no longer required to advise airports in class G airspace about your UAV operation. In many cases, depending on where you operate in the airport area, it will be a good idea to let them know where you will be flying.

Commercial flight limitations have always been more restrictive than those for hobbyists. That continues with the 107 Certificate, with a few select exceptions.

You need to make the distinction between airports in controlled airspace and airports in uncontrolled class G airspace. Once you have the 107 certificate, you are no longer required to advise airports in class G airspace about your UAV operation. In many cases, depending on where you operate in the airport area, it will be a good idea to let them know where you will be flying.
Hopefully, DJI GEO will allow 107 Certificate holders to turn off the annoying on screen popover notifications, that require acknowledgement (removing hands from the sticks and blocking the FPV) by physically touching the screen to check 2 boxes and a third to accept responsibility, every time you fly into the class G airspace, which happens 5 times during a single flight on a route I regularly fly, which is on the very edge of the circumference of the 5 mile radius, where the route repeatedly crosses in and out! :rolleyes:

I wonder how many people who do NOT pass are going to be admitting it? I know some will but at the same time I also know many will not. There is a lot of EGO in our industry and some of them are so big they can't take a public hit.

Hopefully we can all learn from this whole process and our industry can grow with it.
Forgive me, I mean no harm; and only comment because of the humor in your statement..
"There is a lot of EGO in our industry and some of them are so big they....." and then sign out with a 150 character signature, listing everything but your shoe size.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl