POLL CLOSED: Results of 107 Pass Rates?

(Anonymous) Did you pass the 107 Knowledge test at the FAA testing center?

• Yes, it was a breeze

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Yes, but I was challenged

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No, I need to study more

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I failed it twice!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:)
Part-107_Test-Results.jpg

Will post on the sticky just made about 107 for my take on the test.

Reactions: Falcon900
Ruprecht law has been sending update emailed all week. It sounds like the FAA has already been granting waivers. So for now, doesn't take quite as long as initially thought.

I would still apply ASAP as soon as you know you'll have a job in controlled NAS.

Great, thanks for the info.

This is a very important document for obtaining a Certificate of Authorization/Waiver and we should all read it carefully if you need to fly anywhere near controlled airspace. Controlled airspace meaning Class B, C, D, or E.
Also read this: FAA.JO 7200.23,2 it is the FAA internal order for ATC and how UAS requests for access to controlled airspace are to be handled.

Thank you Falcon900, FAA.JO 7200.23,2 has the level of detail I was looking for!

I just got off the phone with the FAA. YES, you do need to apply for a waiver to fly in controlled airspace, and yes, the official lead time is 90 days, although it might not take that long. They realize that this is not viable for many commercial operations and are examining options. They also understand that there is confusion, misinformation, and other hiccups attendant to these new regulations and they are working on them.

To sum up: You cannot simply contact ATC like a manned aircraft, state your intentions, and fly through controlled airspace. You MUST apply for a waiver as mentioned above. Permission for a UAS to enter controlled airspace is being centrally coordinated, not locally coordinated, at this point.

I just got off the phone with the FAA. YES, you do need to apply for a waiver to fly in controlled airspace, and yes, the official lead time is 90 days, although it might not take that long. They realize that this is not viable for many commercial operations and are examining options. They also understand that there is confusion, misinformation, and other hiccups attendant to these new regulations and they are working on them.

To sum up: You cannot simply contact ATC like a manned aircraft, state your intentions, and fly through controlled airspace. You MUST apply for a waiver as mentioned above. Permission for a UAS to enter controlled airspace is being centrally coordinated, not locally coordinated, at this point.

Yeah, the document provided by Falcon900 seems to indicate that all authorization is being coordinated out of FAA HQ with some limited coordination with the local ATC. If you call local ATC they will simply direct you to the webpage that others have already linked to on here.

The internal procedural document is dated effective October 3, 2016. It's kind of a bummer that they're giving themselves until 2018 to roll out a more automated system. Things could get jammed up quick as more and more 107 operators come online.

"Although automation is in development to process the large number of requests that facilities anticipate, it is not expected to be operational until 2018."
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/FAA_JO_7200_23_2.pdf

No, folks are confusing waivers and authorizations again. There is not a 90 wait to get airspace authorization. The 90-day thing is for a waiver.

Waivers are provided to allow you to deviate from the regs.

Airspace authorizations are provided to allow you to operate in controlled airspace as PER the regs.

Gold Seal covers all of this stuff in detail. The reason everyone is getting this wrong is because, I'm sorry, but most of the training people are getting is entirely substandard. There is no reason that any Remote Pilot should be confused about airspaces and the requirements for operations within them.

No, folks are confusing waivers and authorizations again. There is not a 90 wait to get airspace authorization. The 90-day thing is for a waiver.

Airspace authorizations are provided to allow you to operate in controlled airspace as PER the regs.

Gold Seal covers all of this stuff in detail. The reason everyone is getting this wrong is because, I'm sorry, but most of the training people are getting is entirely substandard. There is no reason that any Remote Pilot should be confused about airspaces and the requirements for operations within them.

50% of my town is within CLASS C airspace. So if I want to do Real Estate photography I can't do this without requesting authorization on that site... Ok fine... but how quick will that happen...Sounds like I need a 2year Waiver... I am not going to fill out an authorization everyday...

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I have no aeronautical background so this has definitely had a learning curve. if you used it, is the drone knowledge test prep worth the $25? I just took the free version and passed with a 75. My test is on Saturday do I assume I have quite a bit of studying left to do.

I think the confusion lies within the process. You apply for them at the same place so assuming they take the same amount of time is a natural reaction.

I just submitted a request for authorization to operate in Class D. I'll let you guys know how long it took once I hear something.

I just submitted a request for authorization to operate in Class D. I'll let you guys know how long it took once I hear something.

Is IACRA locating your exam yet? Or did you do part 61? I don't think
I can apply until I have my airman number. Do you know if this is correct?

Yes, you do have to have the certificate before operating under Part 107. I'm a Part 61 pilot and took that route.

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I have no aeronautical background so this has definitely had a learning curve. if you used it, is the drone knowledge test prep worth the $25? I just took the free version and passed with a 75. My test is on Saturday do I assume I have quite a bit of studying left to do.
Yes you do. Go to sarahnilsson.org/aviation/uag-test-prep-1/ and work it.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Yes, you do have to have the certificate before operating under Part 107. I'm a Part 61 pilot and took that route.
From the IACRA New User Guide after you sign and submit your application:

• After 2-4 days, your temporary certificate will be available in IACRA. You will also receive an email reminder.
  • Your permanent certificate will arrive by mail.
so... you only have to wait a few days and you can operate with a printed temp. :)

Everything and more. I paid $99 for a course and while it was a great start, Sarah's website is a much more detailed reference.

Oh nice! In the material she covered regarding weather (TAF and METAR), was it sufficient enough for the test, or would u recommend going else where to learn about all that

Oh nice! In the material she covered regarding weather (TAF and METAR), was it sufficient enough for the test, or would u recommend going else where to learn about all that
That's in Test Prep 4 and it's very detailed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav