Polarpro LED lights - compass interference?

Reaction score
Went out yesterday for a quick flight and got an interference error. The only other thing relatively close (100 plus yards away) was power lines. But I had the Polarpro humpback lights on the P3S. Could the lights battery pack being on top have blocked the compass somehow ? Still new at this (beginner mode) so not sure.
Thanks.

Any metallic part on top on the aircraft can block GPS signals. If you have metallic mounting parts, your compass will be disoriented.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

No metallic. Its a rechargeable battery pack that clips to the sides but rests on top.
s-l500.jpg

Why not take it back off and then fly in the same area next time. That should give you your answer.

Tobby

Going to do that. I was wondering if it was an issue anyone else was having.

I have the Polar pro Led lights mounted on two P3S & do not seem to have any issues during flight.
Try flying with the lights turned off, or simply remove the light package to see if this corrects your interference issue.
Lastly, see if u can contact Polar Pro and see what they have to say. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Always recal compass when adding, removing, or relocating items on the aircraft.
The point of calibration is to compensate for field distortion created by on-board items containing metals.
These distortions are called hard and soft iron distortions.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherlab
I did recal and the error came back. I think I will leave them off for now and look into a forward spot light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Went out today without the lights. No issues at all.
Also someone mentioned to turn off Wi-Fi on cell phone in my pocket when flying.
Did not lose signal once. Happy dance.

I agree. I like them. I've seen a set that bridges the landing gear and are self powered.
No wires. White in front ,red out back. don't recall how much tho.

I'm also getting compass errors with the polar pro lights , I think it may be due to them moving down the legs of the landing gear. I secured them in place with some velcro and i did not get the compass error.hopefully this is the fix because the lights look really good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.