Please - Stay Away from Power Lines

Reaction score
Being the stubborn person that I am, I flew around the power lines outside the house today. Lost control for about 5-10 seconds! Luckily, I regained control and got the Phantom 2 back successfully.

I learned the hard way to take DJI's advise and not fly around power lines and hope you can learn from my stupidity.

I flew a couple times around power lines and never had a problem.

krunkcopter said:
p.s. OP - correlation does not equal causation.

While correct, in this case that statement is not valid.

It is most definitely the powerlines that cause my issues. Thus, it's not just correlation but a direct cause.

You don't have issues, so you are not affected the same way I am, at least with the lines that you fly around.

But that does not mean that you won't have issues with a different set of powerlines, just as it doesn't necessarily mean that I WILL have issues with a different set.

Different powerlines have different frequencies of magnetic radiation.

To tell someone "fly at will" is incredibly reckless. I would more recommend "fly carefully, until you determine whether the particular powerlines you are flyung near will affect you or not".

Be happy that you are not affected, but do not discount those that are.

Let's see... so YOUR experience somehow trumps MY experience? You realize that YOU'RE the one conjecturing, right? Correlating that since you have not had any issues, no one else will. Talk about "not helpful".

Have you ever STUDIED the radioactivity and magnetic reasonance of electricity?? If you had, you would know how it varies and changes frequencies depending on several factors.

It would be wise to fly around powerlines with that in mind, until you can determine whether they will affect your bird or not.

That's not being whiny, or even supposition... that's just common sense.

Wow, you are just one supreme little jackass, aren't you.

I have no fear. I have the common sense to exercise caution until I have a complete grasp of my situation and environment. It takes 30 seconds to a minute to determine if your Phantom is affected. If you would rather be pigheaded and forego that exercise in lieu of "flying at will", that's your prerogative.

Oh, and by the way, there is at least one video on youtube, taken at DJIs factory if a remember, in which they documented a control issue while they were flying near a power transformer.

So there are examples on both sides.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20