Ping Tracker

So, it sounds like it was just showing you an old location.

Ping still claims you can turn unit OFF AND ON with the button. Many have written about them not telling you how to do this? I wrote and they sent me a graphic showing be the button...that's comical in and of itself but again no telling of how you use the button to turn unit off. I don't believe you can turn the unit off, as does @msinger yet they claim in their FAQ and in this email from support you can but don't tell you how.

Hi Brian,

The button for all functions (Power on/off, send check-in/SOS alert, check battery, check cellular signal) is the center area on top of the device (between the LED rings). See the attached image for reference.

Best regards,

Josh Ryder

Well I just found out how to turn off and it does work @msinger

jlippinerCo/founder - Ping
3d
@jmaass just hold down the middle button for 10 seconds. It will turn red then shut off then white. Let go when its white and youre all set. To turn back on, just push the button again.

This seems like a great device but it may be worth mentioning again that unless you always fly in an area with good cellular coverage it may not be useful when you need it. But... it would be a great backup to an independent tracker such as a Marco Polo and at 25 grams each (Ping and MP) you could even afford to carry them both and have redundancy and the best of both worlds. If it's lost with both a Marco Polo and a GPS tracker then... it's lost ;) I think I may order one for that reason but if I could only have one device it would have to be the MP because I can't always count on reliable cell coverage where I fly. Just mentioning it because not everyone realizes the important difference between the two.

Has anyone tested the Ping tracker in a potential 'crash' orientation? (i.e. the internal antenna not pointed at the sky, under tree canopy, etc.)

Last edited:
This seems like a great device but it may be worth mentioning again that unless you always fly in an area with good cellular coverage it may not be useful when you need it. But... it would be a great backup to an independent tracker such as a Marco Polo and at 25 grams each (Ping and MP) you could even afford to carry them both and have redundancy and the best of both worlds. If it's lost with both a Marco Polo and a GPS tracker then... it's lost ;) I think I may order one for that reason but if I could only have one device it would have to be the MP because I can't always count on reliable cell coverage where I fly. Just mentioning it because not everyone realizes the important difference between the two.

Has anyone tested the Ping tracker in a potential 'crash' orientation? (i.e. the internal antenna not pointed at the sky, under tree canopy, etc.)
It Has GPS, cell and bluetooth. Ping's Bluetooth tracker has GPS and cellular connectivity, too

I've done some more testing. It will give a good location after a few minutes and once close the blue tooth is helpful. Battery life is no where near as advertised but not brutal.

Have either of you mounted it on the drone yet? If so, how did you mount it.

Have either of you mounted it on the drone yet? If so, how did you mount it.
Not yet. I'm going to build a mount to attach it to the landing gear.

Isn't the PING programmable to report location less often, so it lasts longer?
There are settings to enable "Privacy Mode" and "Airplane Mode". I'm not sure what those settings do. Turning the Ping off is most likely going to be the best way to make it last longer when you're not actively using it.

I got mine on monday, just opened it today!

I am so excited.

I am using this bracket. printed in just pla. works decent but since its designed for the Trackimo its a little big for the Ping, but a small zip tie will keep it in place without any issues.

working on some images in a min.

link to bracket mount.
Phantom 4 Pro Trackimo holder by ProStreet

images of bracket on my P4, will update these images to my other post about brackets
20180711_123551.jpg
20180711_123551.jpg 20180711_123557.jpg 20180711_123606.jpg 20180711_123624.jpg 20180711_123636.jpg 20180711_123716.jpg as well.

I received mine and did some testing, for me the Trackimo is much better suited. The battery life for one thing is no where near what they claimed which was the main reason I bought. Also the long time to track the item away from bluetooth could allow someone to pick up your drone and walk away before you get to it...

Reactions: jakobe75
Did you print this bracket yourself? I have the same one in white I bought and was looking for another. Yes 2 small zip ties are all you need. One through the hole on the leg and the other through the top of the holder.

Reactions: jakobe75

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers