Ping Tracker

Very nice. The 1.5 year wait is only for the free one ;)

Bkushner.......did they run your card for payment? I believe the notice we received said they would NOT until it was shipped.

Tonight got a message that says they expect all preorders to be shipped by the end of this year.

Interesting. I, and several others here, recently received a message from Ping which indicated that they had some stock that would be available to ship soon, and asked if we wanted to place an order because we were on the waiting list. Sounds like the folks at Ping may be playing a numbers game?

Interesting. I, and several others here, recently received a message from Ping which indicated that they had some stock that would be available to ship soon, and asked if we wanted to place an order because we were on the waiting list. Sounds like the folks at Ping may be playing a numbers game?
Correct that is the email I received and ordered from. It said shipping in June...Then I emailed for an update and got this. They never charged me.

rbrck.jpg

I see you can now order right from their website and they say they expect to ship by the end of Summer 2018.....they are ALL OVER THE PLACE on this.

I guessing there is a reason there is no review yet. But I'll bump this to the top anyway.

Yeah well as I mentioned last night when they told me shipping by the end of the year and not June as promised I told them to CANCEL. All of a sudden tonight I get a message telling me it's going to ship AND THE CHARGED MY CARD....

qpvbg.jpg

when they told me shipping by the end of the year and not June as promised I told them to CANCEL. All of a sudden tonight I get a message telling me it's going to ship AND THE CHARGED MY CARD....

That's awesome! Oh, wait, is this one of those "bad news, good news" things I keep hearing about?

That's awesome! Oh, wait, is this one of those "bad news, good news" things I keep hearing about?
At this point I'd preferred they cancel as I cannot find one single reviews of this device anywhere. Not even on their site. I only know of one person that got his and he's not talking. You can bet if I receive I will give a fair assessment

If it doesn't live up to the hype, at least you have 30 days from date of purchase to return it for a refund. Since they've charged your card, hopefully you'll receive it long before that time runs out.

I've only owned my Ping tracker for 1.5 weeks now, so it's a little early to tell if it's going to live up to the hype. But, I'll share my experience so far.

Design
The tracker is square, thin, and the components are completely encased within a plastic shell. Since the charging port connects via three small pins on the side of the tracker, there is no place for water to enter the tracker (like in the micro USB port on a Trackimo tracker).

Waterproofing
The Ping tracker is rated IP68. That means it's totally protected from dust and is protected from long term immersion (see more details here). The manufacturer states it can be immersed in up to 10 meters of water.

To compare with another waterproof tracker, the Marco Polo Advanced is rated IP67. That means it can be immersed in up to 1 meter of water. The manufacturer states the weatherproofing is suitable for "light rain".

Weight
Here's how the Ping tracker stacks up weight-wise against other commonly used trackers:

Marco Polo Ultralight: 12 grams
Marco Polo Advanced (waterproof version): 23 grams
Ping: 29 grams
Trackimo: 36 grams

Battery Life
Throughout the first week of owning my tracker, I took it with me when traveling by car to see how well it tracked, how fast it updated, etc. While not in use, it was sitting on my desk at home. I found the battery lasted about 7 days. If not using the tracker throughout the week like I did, I suspect the battery could last even longer. Either way, this should be sufficient for tracking down a lost drone.

Ping App
The Ping app is available on both iOS and Android mobile devices. When started, it shows the current battery level for all trackers that have been added in the app.

Ping1.PNG

When tapping the tracker icon, the tracker's current location is displayed on a map.

Ping2.PNG

Clicking the "Find Ping" button displays the following tracking functions:

Ping3.PNG

I wasn't too successful using the Bluetooth tracking feature. You really need to be close to the tracker (and within LOS) before you'll see the blue rings starting to light up. Since this tracking method isn't directional, it's tough to know which location you should be traveling when attempting to get closer to the tracker.

The "Play Device Sound" feature could be useful if you're in a quiet location, you're within LOS, and your tracker is no more than about 50 feet away. If it would be possible to crank up the volume a bit, this feature could be more useful.

Accuracy
In my testing, I found the tracker's location was always about 10-30 feet away from the location displayed on the map in the Ping app. I think this is sufficient for tracking down a lost drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94