Ping Tracker

Now, I just need to determine how to securely attach it to my P4. I could likely attach it to the belly of my P3S because there's a nice flat spot that would be perfect, providing it won't interfere with the on-board systems. But my P4? Gotta give that one some thought.

Now, I just need to determine how to securely attach it to my P4. I could likely attach it to the belly of my P3S because there's a nice flat spot that would be perfect, providing it won't interfere with the on-board systems. But my P4? Gotta give that one some thought.
Yeah someone needs to make a holder.

Yes how would you compare Ping to Trackimo?
I haven't used my Trackimo 2G for a while (never tried the 3G version), but I never had any trouble with it. It tracks well and the Trackimo app has always worked well.

The Ping is smaller, lighter, waterproof, less expensive ($129 vs. $199), has a less expensive service plan ($3/month vs. $5/month). Both trackers can get me close enough to find a lost drone. Both are good options, but I'd take the Ping if could only pick between these two trackers.

Reactions: sshephard
Well I got mine today and I can't even tell how to turn it on or off. The FAQ says push the button. However it's a multi function button so I don't know if it's a short push, long push... @msinger can you shed any light on this?

AFAIK, the tracker is automatically powered on as long as the battery is charged. I did not come across any documentation that mentioned a way to manually power it on/off.

AFAIK, the tracker is automatically powered on as long as the battery is charged. I did not come across any documentation that mentioned a way to manually power it on/off.
Kind of figured that however the comment by Josh online to how to turn on and off he responded it's easily done with center button. Many are confused. So if I'm near the thing it's sucking my BT dry. Also seems to get a location on the device you have to search in the app for the current situation. I like that Trackimo updates it's position every minute and shows the track of the device. That's my initial observation.

It's encouraging that you got yours in such a short time.
When I ordered they said June, then said by the end of the year. I asked them to cancel and they said shipping tomorrow. Guess they didn't want to lose the sale. IN any event I'm wishing they canceled. This device while it works, seems to be off a bit in it's position, can't be turned off (uses Blue tooth when near) and only updates it's position when requested from the app.

I like that Trackimo updates it's position every minute and shows the track of the device
Yep, that's a neat feature. I don't think it would help me track down a lost drone though. As long as I can get close to the current location, I think I'd be able to successfully find it.

I have tried this Rf-v42. It says you can set it to update the position every 30 seconds although 60 seconds seems to be the best you can do.It looks well made but not water proof which could be a problem .You can actually call it to see how your Phantom is going (wind noise :)no noise:eek:)
What attracted me to it (apart from the fact that" 42 is the answer to life the universe and everything ":)) was that you don't have to be on any plan .
I just bought a $5 sim that lasts for a year and top it up when necessary which suits me as there are times when I may not fly for months.
It cost $90 Aust( $75US) and you can order as many mounts as you require.I did add a safety line in case it was dislodged from the mount.
After reading about different trackers I'm left wondering what makes one more accurate than another ?I gather they use the same method to locate or track ?

Attachments

• IMG_2302.JPG
    IMG_2302.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 365
The one position I checked was about 3 blocks away however the device was in my windowsill. I'd like to try some more. What are your findings?
The location is always within about 10-30 feet from the tracker. While testing it some more this week, I found the tracker is sometimes taking several minutes to report its current location. That was while the tracker was within view of the sky, so I'm not sure what was causing those delays.

The location is always within about 10-30 feet from the tracker. While testing it some more this week, I found the tracker is sometimes taking several minutes to report its current location. That was while the tracker was within view of the sky, so I'm not sure what was causing those delays.
I did another test today with the tracker having a clear line of sight. As you say it took nearly 5 minutes to return the location but more concerning is the distance it was off. The RED STAR is where the tracker was and you can see where it said it was...that's a long way...

hfpxb.jpg

Reactions: KentA
I did another test today with the tracker having a clear line of sight. As you say it took nearly 5 minutes to return the location but more concerning is the distance it was off. The RED STAR is where the tracker was and you can see where it said it was...that's a long way...

hfpxb.jpg

Was your tracker ever at that marked location?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4