Ping Tracker

I received mine and did some testing, for me the Trackimo is much better suited. The battery life for one thing is no where near what they claimed which was the main reason I bought. Also the long time to track the item away from bluetooth could allow someone to pick up your drone and walk away before you get to it...
I am testing mine now, bluetooth locater works fine, but I am in a low cellualr area and it hasnt updated. I put it out on the mailbox and walked to the other end of the yard (almost an acre away) and tried to locate. it hasnt uypdated yet. but I just activated a few hours ago too. so I dont know yet.

but yes, I printed this. I will probably print it again after I scale it down for the Ping, but I'll wait until I am comfortable with the device first before I start modifying 3d files. I have the Rfv16, but the same issue is that this is a low cell service area. although I can make calls on my cell just fine. They shut down all resources for the RFv16 2g towers...so its dead. I bought the Ping over a year ago and just now gettting it in hand. I hope it works out. I havent been flying my P4 to its fullest potential since I added a MaxxUav kit because I am worried about it being so far away and losing it.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
That looks like it would work nicely, especially if it was scaled to better fit the Ping. Please let us know if you get to that point as I would likely be interested in a properly sized holder. Good luck with yours.

Mine is working fine, I live in a weird low cell coverage area on the side of a foothill to themountains and in the shadow of cell towers, so it's hard to get a reading in my yard...but I have flown several times and tested while in flight at a few hundred feet altitude and it does locate properly. Its not fast or immediate location results. but it does work well. I do not know how it will behave if it goes down in a thickly wooded area near here.

I did a test on how I would use this in case of a crash and flew to an area far way that has always had signal issues, even with my MaxxUav kit...its hard to punch through that signal, so I went to that area and when my dji screen started to video glitch, I tapped locate on my PING app on my phone and a few minutes later it got my position.

This is how I have mounted
20180811_164757.jpg

Mine is working fine, I live in a weird low cell coverage area on the side of a foothill to themountains and in the shadow of cell towers, so it's hard to get a reading in my yard...but I have flown several times and tested while in flight at a few hundred feet altitude and it does locate properly. Its not fast or immediate location results. but it does work well. I do not know how it will behave if it goes down in a thickly wooded area near here.

I did a test on how I would use this in case of a crash and flew to an area far way that has always had signal issues, even with my MaxxUav kit...its hard to punch through that signal, so I went to that area and when my dji screen started to video glitch, I tapped locate on my PING app on my phone and a few minutes later it got my position.

This is how I have mountedView attachment 102325
You must have one of the rare ones. Most aren't happy if you check the ping forum. In an effort to save battery life because it was lasting 5 days not 3 months as advertised they tweaked some stuff that it only will track when moving. SO if drone goes down that could be a problem. I stuck mine in a drawer (would sell for $50) and continue to use Trackimo and Marco Polo...

You must have one of the rare ones. Most aren't happy if you check the ping forum. In an effort to save battery life because it was lasting 5 days not 3 months as advertised they tweaked some stuff that it only will track when moving. SO if drone goes down that could be a problem. I stuck mine in a drawer (would sell for $50) and continue to use Trackimo and Marco Polo...

battery wise I am getting 1 week and I live in an area where that radio works extra hard. Maybe if I adjusted the power save settings I could get longer times. MIne will track anytime I ask it to as long as I am outside, but it takes several minutes for the update to hit my phone. I did a complete reset and updated all the firmsware and did the self diagnosis steps and it seems to be doing what i expect it to. I dont feel its worth $129 though.

battery wise I am getting 1 week and I live in an area where that radio works extra hard. Maybe if I adjusted the power save settings I could get longer times. MIne will track anytime I ask it to as long as I am outside, but it takes several minutes for the update to hit my phone. I did a complete reset and updated all the firmsware and did the self diagnosis steps and it seems to be doing what i expect it to. I dont feel its worth $129 though.
Your doing better then most...as I said $50 takes mine delivered!

I got my Ping device today. The unboxing wasn't fun. First I downloaded the wrong app, PIA. Looked like the same logo with the earth globe that was printed on the lid of the Ping box, and it was titled Ping GPS ! After I figured that out and download the right app the device wouldn't link to the app. After much reading I learned it's just like DJI, they ship it without the latest firmware, so I had to update it. Apparently they think that's OK on a device like this. It still wouldn't link up, so I did a reset. That didn't work either. So I did a full system check outside. That tested good, with green light confirmation. Brought it back indoors and it finally linked to my app. I thought I was golden, however the device still doesn't locate outside at the same place it tested good during system check. I got a message it couldn't locate, and it couldn't connect to their server. I'm not impressed. It states a 30 day moneyback refund policy in the reading I did in the app. Has anyone been successful with getting a refund?

Last edited:
I got my Ping device today. The unboxing wasn't fun. First I downloaded the wrong app, PIA. Looked like the same logo with the earth globe that was printed on the lid of the Ping box, and it was titled Ping GPS ! After I figured that out and download the right app the device wouldn't link to the app. After much reading I learned it's just like DJI, they ship it without the latest firmware, so I had to update it. Apparently they think that's OK on a device like this. It still wouldn't link up, so I did a reset. That didn't work either. So I did a full system check outside. That tested good, with green light confirmation. Brought it back indoors and it finally linked to my app. I thought I was golden, however the device still doesn't locate outside at the same place it tested good during system check. I got a message it couldn't locate, and it couldn't connect to their server. I'm not impressed. It states a 30 day moneyback refund policy in the reading I did in the app. Has anyone been successful with getting a refund?
Check this out. First sorry for your issues. I bought the Ping for $139 back in May. It sucked. I tried for refund and no luck. No support. So I was bitching about it and said I was gonna trash it. It's worthless for the drone. To get longer battery life they made it so the device has to be moving to give location. Anyway someone in England offered me $50 for it so I grabbed $50 and shipped to England. When he got it he couldn't activate the device, here Ping will not support the resale of the device to someone else. I gave the guy his $50 back and wiped my hands. of the mess.

It has to be "MOVING" , to give location ??????
Can anybody confirm that?

Here ya go. Seems the company is going to try and fix the moving part but trackimo does so much better.
IMG_7841.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7841.jpg
    IMG_7841.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 215
@bkushner, did you try the latest Ping GPS firmware update and app?

Reactions: jakobe75
@bkushner, did you try the latest Ping GPS firmware update and app?
I updated mine but havent tested.

Now Samsung has a tracker, have you seen that one yet? Looks just like the PING.

Have a look at the RF-v42 I have been using mine for almost a year now .I bought a sim with a $5 credit that lasts for a year and I still haven’t use up the credit yet. It seems pretty reliable although I haven’t had to use it to locate my P3 yet . I use the live tracking option which updates every 30-60 seconds.The initial cost was $80 Aust about $65 us.

Has the "it must be moving to report lication" thing been corrected?? I was just on their site and no mention of this.

Has the "it must be moving to report lication" thing been corrected?
I didn't have any trouble tracking my down with the latest updates -- even after the Ping stopped moving.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik