Picture Quality not there video or stills

Reaction score
Can I replace the camera on the P2V+? I saw the quality on the screen and you tube and the quality is ok but I want better. I have not received my bird yet so I cant tell first hand until I get it.

remaxman said:
Can I replace the camera on the P2V+?
Not easily. You can do an expensive installation of the Dronexpert Quick Release to fit a Gopro.
Everything is a compromise and especially in aerial photography.
If you want to fly a substantial camera you have to have a serious multirotor.
Weight is the crucial factor and you have to add the weight of a substantial gimbal and before you know it you are looking at a $5000 drone to fly it and you only get 10 mins air time.
The P2V+ has stripped back on the camera size and weight so it can use a lightweight gimbal and fly for 20+ mins.

remaxman said:
I saw the quality on the screen and you tube and the quality is ok but I want better. I have not received my bird yet so I cant tell first hand until I get it.
So what have you seen? I'm wondering if you really have enough information to decide. Youtube is not suitable for assessing because they downgrade and compress video. You don't get to see the original quality at all.
My photo website will give you an idea of what the quality of stills can be. Smugmug will allow you to see the original image size as well as the normal full screen default. The camera is a long way from threatening a Nikon D800 or Canon 5D III but it's also a long way from being a piece of junk. For what it does and what it costs (and what the alternative costs) the Phantom can be pretty good.

I consider the stills acceptable at least in decent light particularly if you are familiar with photoshop or similar.
Video is certainly disappointing on occasion but again you can spend time on it and improve to some extent.
You have to bear in mind the Vision - with FPV and decent flight time and range out of the box is still a very competitive package and to match it and get better video will definitely cost more and be more technically demanding to operate.

Thank you guys. Checking into 4K options at the moment is out of the question. I guess I will have to learn and test as I go. I'm very familiar with Lightroom and Photoshop.

Meta4, I'm still patiently waiting for you to post a tutorial on how to take photos like those on your website :cool:

If you know LR & PS, you should get good enough images to work with. As long as you are not shooting at night or very low light conditions. Welcome to the forum.

The vision plus has decent stills. Its the video that sucks. I dont take stills anymore because the risk of a intermittent black screen. Its annoying as you have to fly back blind and do complete reset to fix.

You can always sell your gimbal camera module and do vision plus with zenmuse h33d go pro.

I did a h33d with gopro conversion without having to go the drone expert path.

I agree. Good enough for me as well. Can I ask those of you who are requiring higher quality photos/video what your objective is? Are you planning on printing them? Are you going to make Home movies to screen?

msinger said:
Meta4, I'm still patiently waiting for you to post a tutorial on how to take photos like those on your website :cool:
Well there's not much to it really. I concentrate mainly on panoramas these days and the Phantom is perfect for getting the big picture. I sometimes use Google Earth to help find good locations that will best cover the area I'm interested in. Once you have a good interesting subject, it's important to consider the sun angle. Generally you want to shoot with the sun behind you. Get to a good position and click away as you yaw the Phantom, making sure you have plenty of overlap between the images. Stitch the images in something like Arcsoft Panorama Maker or Photoshop. Crop the picture properly and adjust saturation, contrast and exposure a little if necessary and you're done.

I've put some of my nicest recent pix up on http://www.skypixel.com/user/meta4/photos but you need to display them at Sull Screen to see them properly.

I thing video quality of phantom 2 vision plus is better than gobro 3..also with p2vp .. you can take photos or video when you fly..with gobro you have to landing and change from photos to video..the p2vp fly about 20 or more minute..p2 gobro 15 and less..with the aplication of phantom 2vision plus you can transfer your photos or videos eazy to your mobile phone..for me p2vp is the best .

christodoulos1 said:
I thing video quality of phantom 2 vision plus is better than gobro 3..also with p2vp .. you can take photos or video when you fly..with gobro you have to landing and change from photos to video..the p2vp fly about 20 or more minute..p2 gobro 15 and less..with the aplication of phantom 2vision plus you can transfer your photos or videos eazy to your mobile phone..for me p2vp is the best .

I own both. I can tell you that the GoPro 3+BE video is much more superior than the vision's. The only decent setting on the Vision is 720@60fps and that is equivalent to a Gopro 2. If you ever get a chance, you should have a look at the Gopro 4 and play it back on a UHD 4k display.

However you are correct that photos are better, longer flight times (about a minute more), and that you can literally adjust and take photos on the fly.

In saying that, the GoPro can take simultaneous stills whilst recording 1080p @ 30fps. You don't get the 4:3 framing issues with the gopro as what you frame on the screen is what you get when taking photos.

The DJI is app is great but I would suggest you NOT to transfer files via the wifi to phone unless the props are spinning. It's not proven, but I think leaving the phantom on idle without props can damage the wifi module as there isn't enough thermal paste and ventilation. And it takes donkey years to transfer.

And for shits and giggles, what if I told you that a modified hybrid Vision plus with H3-3D and GoPro with wifi on a smart device can adjust and take photos on the fly exist.

I'll be going down this path. I don't like the idea that the Vision's camera is proprietary and locked only to the phantom. At least with the gopro you can whack it in a case and take it diving.. I also don't like flying in fear, knowing a crash can tear the flex cable and later cause tilt issues because of a poorly designed press-fit shaft.

Mako79 said:
christodoulos1 said:

I own both. I can tell you that the GoPro 3+BE video is much more superior than the vision's. The only decent setting on the Vision is 720@60fps and that is equivalent to a Gopro 2. If you ever get a chance, you should have a look at the Gopro 4 and play it back on a UHD 4k display.

However you are correct that photos are better, longer flight times (about a minute more), and that you can literally adjust and take photos on the fly.

In saying that, the GoPro can take simultaneous stills whilst recording 1080p @ 30fps. You don't get the 4:3 framing issues with the gopro as what you frame on the screen is what you get when taking photos.

The DJI is app is great but I would suggest you NOT to transfer files via the wifi to phone unless the props are spinning. It's not proven, but I think leaving the phantom on idle without props can damage the wifi module as there isn't enough thermal paste and ventilation. And it takes donkey years to transfer.

And for shits and giggles, what if I told you that a modified hybrid Vision plus with H3-3D and GoPro with wifi on a smart device can adjust and take photos on the fly exist.

I'll be going down this path. I don't like the idea that the Vision's camera is proprietary and locked only to the phantom. At least with the gopro you can whack it in a case and take it diving.. I also don't like flying in fear, knowing a crash can tear the flex cable and later cause tilt issues because of a poorly designed press-fit shaft.
You have ride almost in everything but i will disagree about camera..here is the comparisons. . DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus VS H3-3D (3-Axis Gimbal…: http://youtu.be/uLG0OtBRbbw

Lol.
Never suggest using youtube to do video quality comparisons. Youtube uses compression which dramatically affects quality.
Please upload a raw vid file or at least use vimeo to do comparisons.

Meta4 said:
My photo website will give you an idea of what the quality of stills can be.

The sea photos on your site are very well done.. stitched pano i'm assuming. But are these done with the stock P2V+?

Yes .. shot on a stock P2V+. I gave some details above, a few posts back.
Here's an example stitched from 7 images. It looks OK here - but much better full screen from my website.
5233-9-XL.jpg

Meta4 said:
Yes .. shot on a stock P2V+. I gave some details above, a few posts back.
Here's an example stitched from 7 images. It looks OK here - but much better full screen from my website.
5233-9-XL.jpg
That photo realy amazing...can i have link for your website? Thnks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan