photos still suck on mine. Thinking about returning it.

on the still shots for the p3 Pro, I just used the regular uv filter. Only Nd filters for video
Here's the exif - it would be grossly over-exposed at 1/50th without NDs
Capture.JPG

Aspect ratio on P3P pics is different - check all your picture and exposure settings, remove all but the UV filter, set it to auto (for stills only) - go for it.
You did not say that video looks equally "bad". If not, it is definitively not the camera.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Video looks great, especially in 4k

Yea .... huh? The photos look quite nice without post production ... better think about your viewing technology before you start taking back hardware that is probably not malfunctioning ...

I took some photos yesterday and was underwhelmed ..... yours are far better.

Yea .... huh? The photos look quite nice without post production ... better think about your viewing technology before you start taking back hardware that is probably not malfunctioning ...
Well, my thoughts were that the p3 standard photos came out better, but I have better filters for the P3s. Also, I had been just using my tablet for the Dji go app, and not viewing photos / videos. Videos look better on my pc look better, but not photos for some reason.

Looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade my computer.

These photos look a lot like mine on a P3A. The problem for me is that photos on my P3A aren't as good as video captures. I'm no expert on such things by any means, but that seems wrong in my experience. How can a 4000x3000 still not look as good as a 1920x1080 video capture? I'm very happy with the video quality, it's really impressive, but the stills don't impress at all. They're just not as clear, or as rich in color as the video. Maybe that's just the way it is.

1/50th a second may be the correct exposure for the available light, but the shutter speed may be too slow for a moving/vibrating object like a phantom. Pictures looked fine to me too, but it's something to think about motion blur.

Your shutter is too slow.
Looking at exif on a couple I see 1/50th - you must be using a dark ND which is unhelpful with stills.
You could bump up the ISO to 400 to work around it during a 'video' session.

You could also apply some sharpen to improve things somewhat.
This one for example looks OK even cropped in. Despite 1/50th again...

Yep, thats what I saw as well. Your high ND filter is dropping the shutter speed which is not helpful if you're looking for sharp pics.

Yep, thats what I saw as well. Your high ND filter is dropping the shutter speed which is not helpful if you're looking for sharp pics.
I did not use an nd filter. Auto setting with stock UV

Set your shutter speed to 1/500 - not 1/50. Regardless what you think you see - the camera is constantly moving. 1/50 won't be fast enough to stop that movement - hence, "fuzzy" photos.

Well. I was wrong. I looked at all my stuff on an apple computer, and everything looks great.

They look good on my computer, too.

Tangentially, I'm curious about the fascination with ND filters.

When I need to reduce glare or bright spots, I lower the EV a bit. Or, for still pictures, I shoot in RAW mode, and use Adobe Bridge to reduce the highlights.

Loaman26, those photos look OK to me. I have a P3P also. Like one fellow said, keep your shutter speed fast and don't use a ND filter for good sharp photos. I don't like the look of fuzzy photos or videos. I took my polar pro filters off and put DJI factory back on after only one test flight. I would like to try a polarizer filter without any ND filter, but my Polar pro filters only have ND too.

Exactly, the pictures are OK. But the videos are awesome! Record video with the aircraft stationary before you switch to still photo mode and take the shot. On your computer, or whatever you use to view your photos, compare how the photo looks with the video of the same scene.

Last edited:
They look good to me as well, and I'm in the pixel peeping business. :) But I agree, 1/50 shutter speed is too slow. It might be OK for most shots but you'll find that you get a fair number that aren't razor sharp shooting that slow.

Mike

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic