Phantom 4 vs Typhoon H

I want/have the __________

• Typhoon H

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Phantom 4

Votes: 41 60.3%

• Total voters
If I did not have a quad at all this would be an easy choice. p4 not a chance I would put money on a bird in its first iteration. P4 is a fantastic machine. Range range range.. Solid in flight not going to fail on you. Typhoon nobody knows... We do know that the range is poor and the link is wifi. I already have a P3 which is a notch below the p4. H is very different.. I can afford to take a chance on it because my backup is lights out. As far as the woulda coulda shoulda add ins for the H. The bird itself is already about a month delayed. Bird in the hand.
But cmon, the P4 is in name only like a P3. Ok uses same tech for its signal dispersion, but the whole main board has been redesigned, all flight characteristics have changed due to the massive body redesign. I don't think the motors are changed much, but you know what I am saying. And It's not lost what your saying, I do realize a lot was carried forth because it has the same basic layout.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just talked to a Yuneec, a guy name Andrew. He stated the DJI lawsuit will not delay and is not delaying shipments. All he would say is the end of the month, whatever different site say, that's their date.

He also said they went thru the first 4000 units, given 2 minutes a unit to update the firmware and a quick check for function. I said 2 minutes isn't a lot of time to check functions, I don't even know if that's enough time to connect the dang arms and motors, I bet they didn't check that. Anyway, he seems confused. The different specs say 1mile range for the transmitter, which he acknowledged, but kept insisting the actual distance is one kilometer, 1000 meters. He then went on to say some boss or some BS about this guy who got to 1 mile but brought it home.
Me personally, if it did a solid mile, solid no matter where it was, would actually be better then my P4 with a modded P3 300B TXer, at 820 meters it lost signal completely all at once, it was thru trees and not line of site though. What I am saying is 1 mile strong, would be fantastic, however it may be 1000 meters strong, in which it would still be outperforming my P4 with a mod. It could also be 1000 meters in only the very best conditions. We will see, it does have regular looking antenna mounts and antenna, so boosting them should prove to be very easy.

So, man I love new stuff, I'm so thinking about calling Best Buy to confirm they are actually selling them, and if they're in stock, and returning my P4. I've got vinyls ordered, extra remotes, all kinds of extras I've done and spent. The only thing I have to worry about is my painted case, they may not take it back like it is.
70342c2addbc4f4eaa4480a75e5b3631.jpg

Last edited:
The plot thickens. My wife just told me if I'm so undecided then I should just go buy a Typhoon H so I can have both.

Reactions: flpholt
This could have went bad. People standing too close. Drone landing gear touching curb on side. Tree branches overhead. Almost dead battery. Crazy pilot who gives full power.
Yeah, that was a reckless move by the pilot. The good news is that it appears the craft is faster than the 22mph top speed that Yuneec was touting at CES in January. I'm just curious what the range is. Since it uses Wi-Fi I'm expecting the same 2500-3500' range the Q500 has.

The different specs say 1mile range for the transmitter, which he acknowledged, but kept insisting the actual distance is one kilometer, 1000 meters.
Me personally, if it did a solid mile, solid no matter where it was, would actually be better then my P4 with a modded P3 300B TXer, at 820 meters it lost signal completely all at once, it was thru trees and not line of site though. What I am saying is 1 mile strong, would be fantastic, however it may be 1000 meters strong, in which it would still be outperforming my P4 with a mod. It could also be 1000 meters in only the very best conditions. We will see,
Lightbridge will easily outperform Wi-Fi in the H, be assured. The TCPIP protocol of Wi-Fi has way too much overhead with all that two way handshaking to be as efficient as the one way Lightbridge technology with two antennas, each broadcasting one way. Lightbridge is just simpler and more efficient. Wi-Fi was never designed to be used for wireless video transmission with real time display. Lightbridge was, a much better match for the job.

just heard range is 1 mile on the h

The electronics of the P4 look like alien technology. The Typhoon H's internal build looks conventional and crowded.

But cmon, the P4 is in name only like a P3. Ok uses same tech for its signal dispersion, but the whole main board has been redesigned, all flight characteristics have changed due to the massive body redesign. I don't think the motors are changed much, but you know what I am saying. And It's not lost what your saying, I do realize a lot was carried forth because it has the same basic layout.

What I'm saying isn't that they are exactly the same. What I am saying is that they are very similar. The camera is pretty much the same. Both have great range in comparison to the other copters.. There is no monumental leap in video quality. Same sensor.. The "better" flight characteristics are not enough difference to push me to buy it. I want a better cam... How about clearly higher quality stills... Or double the bitrate on 4K video. The camera improvements are small not huge. Which is why I can do without the upgrade. Wait for the p5. P4 guys will be on the fence about upgrading. P3 guys will be more likely to upgrade because the improvement will be greater compared with the p3

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What I'm saying isn't that they are exactly the same. What I am saying is that they are very similar. The camera is pretty much the same. Both have great range in comparison to the other copters.. There is no monumental leap in video quality. Same sensor.. The "better" flight characteristics are not enough difference to push me to buy it. I want a better cam... How about clearly higher quality stills... Or double the bitrate on 4K video. The camera improvements are small not huge. Which is why I can do without the upgrade. Wait for the p5. P4 guys will be on the fence about upgrading. P3 guys will be more likely to upgrade because the improvement will be greater compared with the p3

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Well, yeah I'll give you there was no big improvement with the camera, there are a couple that seem minor, but a 54% reduction in lens distortion and what, like 36% in chromatic aberrations, vignetting, are improving, but it's all in the glass not the chipset your right, and added slow-no, but cut the crap out of it to do it. I know ppl in the know say bitrate is terrible, on my 4K tv, it is brand brand new, I say the 4K looks better then the theoretical 2.7K by far, and it looks amazing on my curved 65" 9 series (top series) there is a 9500 that's not edge lit, but the my have the edge lit down so it want worth the extra like $1600 for what I got mine for. Anyway, again, considering it's a 1400 toy that happens to take decent still and video, it's stable, and does really well. Side note I've found if my horizon is off, if I C2 it, left "C" whet camera is set to go up or down, that seems to correct it, sometimes not all the way, but makes it a lot better. Last firmware messed with gimbal settings I think

, I say the 4K looks better then the theoretical 2.7K by far, and it looks amazing on my curved 65" 9 series (top series)
This is what I'm talking about. I already have the same on the P3p. I understand the glass is better on the 4. That just isn't enough to push me to move on it now. When the prices drop maybe.

Lol, Best Buy has been saying today (29th) for at least a month, well? Just checked, now showing the 31st, Tuesday! Lmao, wonder if it'll ever be released. This is in accordance with Yuneec Customer service who kept insisting the end of the month, also insist the controller only has a 1000m or 1Km range, much less, a little less then half the distance proclaimed on most sites stating 1 mile range.

This is what I'm talking about. I already have the same on the P3p. I understand the glass is better on the 4. That just isn't enough to push me to move on it now. When the prices drop maybe.

I get what your saying, and your not alone, however I like dual IMU/compass. I also like the newer style, much improved, the props are way better (connection) the speed, when I do kick it in the ***, is phenomenal, I did 61mph other day, and the three of us were just blown away by the speed. I average around 24-26 minutes but use sport mode sparingly (too fast makes me nervous lol) the titanium core makes it much more stout. The gimbal system although not as easy to repair, is much more streamlined. (And the CA for a RTH could be difference in a wreck and just a little apprehension)
The vision system is actually viable now and a real plus at 10 meters, 10ft was silly and not very useful in my situations. Chromatic distortion and vignetting improved noticeably along with some internal tweaking, albeit the camera is much the same, it has some nice small improvements the P3P could have used. My DBS antenna makes a huge difference, it even matters more now with a P4, and I've already got it. Landing gear is also improved, as is the gimbal clamp.
And, here I'm talking about the DJI brand vs others. I just trust my phantoms, only have one now, I have over 12hrs flight with 108 total flights. All except one were 100% impressive, and the one with a loss of signal, that lasted a whole 15-30seconds Max, and worked flawlessly, over a lake at a half a mile with trees and houses in the path, came right back with control regained in >30s. Today went a mile, all the way across the lake, with bystanders, as nervous for me as I was, but kept 100% signal, not even one bar lost at a mile, doubt any other brand can accomplish this. Again the trust thing is paramount, I just grab it (only one battery so, constantly charging it and using it) but just grab and go, very little pre-flight adjustments vs other craft, this is easy as pie.
Because with my P3P I has hit some small leafless branches, the P4 actually does see these same branches and responds correctly to avoid a crash. Shells and other parts are becoming available and are already available.
These are reasons I feel the phantom 4 is still likely the best quad out for your money. It does look like they could release a modular gimbal/camera replacement possibly. Oh, and one final thing vs the P3 series. The gimbal bracket now connects to both sides of the camera for a much improved steadiness, and with that the P4s accuracy in hover, the thing is almost static, stays within a 10 centimeter diameter, less then 5cm each way horizontal and less vertical (after she warms up for a minute or two)
And the VR apps made for DJI are numerous, my setup came yesterday, for the IPhone 6+ not FatShark[emoji769] or Boscam[emoji768] just cheap ole 1080p resolution but at least there are options, vs other makes are not taking enough of a market share to be viable in the App Store, so there is that too.
I've tried to contact DJI about simple questions, the dumb film over gimbal with a pull tab, asking is it really to be left (I know in my heart it's not, it's a protective film left over from manufacturing process, it has A PULL TAB!!) but the Chinese lady just sent me a pic of the gimbal guard! Like I'm that thick? Well they are! The support team are a bunch of morons, sorry they are. I was more then clear guys, re-explained it three times and finally hung up, took screen shots if anyone is interested. When I called Yuneec, I was talking to an American person easy to understand and explain things, @lthough, their understanding was about the same as DJI, the kid just said contradictory statements over and over, example "yes the TX is rated at a mile, the aircraft has a 1000m range" well, which is it? A mile or a kilometer? I have a feeling it's a kilometer, and the websites are wrong. Plus, I've been updating my new technology since the first IPhone, anyone remember that? You had to go home and with computer set it all up, then were given your phone number, it was all thru the computer, and took a good hour, or more as it was so cutting edge and new. Updating firmware or software on a new toy/item/device is not looked at as a negative to me, or to others here who feel the same way.

There's more to be said for reliability, and trusting your equipment then is usually talked about, for me anyway. I'd like to get me a typhoon H, I just don't think giving up my trusty P4 is worth what might be a terrible experience, then there is the worry I won't get a P4 that's been as error free, or trouble free again if I don't like the typhoon, which isn't good really, but because some have had trouble, I think these same guys that went thru 8 friggin P4s are overly OCD, I was handed mine over the counter, and haven't had any real problems since, besides I think the latest update messed with the horizon on my gimbal, more then I want to admit, but there will be plenty more updates to iron this and other things out, which I am confident they will be in less then 2 months, possibly in a week or two I expect another big firmware update.

This is a pic showing my Asus s8 tablet, and the Itlite antenna mod, and everything else all fits nicely in the case it came in, resulting in saving a little $$ on a case I was going to be forced to get with my P3P, so that's at least $100 saved there too.
d61c144f3e24c37e84e5d439f202a269.jpg

Reactions: flpholt
love that beer cooler case

my new case that came with bird free case
20160427_153329.jpg

Reactions: Sim597
I'll be beyond my exchange period by then. I'll have to sell one of my lesser used toys, and if that's the case, I'd prolly move right past it and get the next inspire model

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves