Yuneec typhoon H vs Phantom 4/inspire pro opinions please

Reaction score
Hi guys

I posted a post yesterday to see if there was anybody in the Dorset area in the south of England to give us a looksee with a Phantom 4 but it doesn't seem like there is anybody available.

So now I am looking for opinions on whether the typhoon is as bad as people are saying. My friend and I are wanting to do paid work with our drone and we were looking at typhoon H but having watched some comparison videos on YouTube we were surprised by what people were saying! I have read a post on the likening the recording ability of the typhoon H as bad as a 2012 go pro. We were quite shocked by this and would like some honest opinions.

Is it worth spending a bit more and investing in the inspire pro?

Thanks

What kind of paid work are you and your friend going to be doing? Do you need to be able to use the dual operator feature in the Inspire 1?

FYI, most everyone only flies Phantoms here, so you're going to get a biased opinion :)

Hi,

I appreciate you are all phantom users but I don't know who else to ask. We are looking at doing this for a business and want to be able to do a wide range of job with the drone. We were led to believe the typhoon H had a comparable camera to the Phantom but it seems like we have been a little misled. We were hoping to start small and then upgrade to a better drone and camera but now we are seriously questioning our choice.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Trust me, just get the Phantom 4! The wi-fi video transmission feed is huge diff between the 2 imo. You'll start having choppy video signal after a half mile in most cases with the Typhoon H. Camera is just better on the P4 too. P4 is the most reliable silky smooth safe bird going right now imo. But yes, like msinger said most of us fly Phantom's here. But I have flown a Yuneec bird for several months before my P4. I'm sorry but in a nice way I would never own another Yuneec product becasue of Lightbridge in the Phantom's.

There's a reason why the Typoon is on 1299. P4 all the way in my eyes

Depends on how pro your professional work will be. Forget the H fir a couple of generations. The P4 is workable depending on the job but looks like a toy. You need to figure out your requirements first. The iP is in another league.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The typhoon camera is total crap, but there is hope that you can upgrade it in the future since it is replaceable. I would observe it, but buy a P4 for now.

We were under the impression it would be similar quality to the P4 but it really isn't. We were not considering the p4 because it looks too much like a toy. We might consider getting a p4 as a backup but it won't be so we use on a regular basis. We are a new company with no drone experience. The pilot has flown RC helicopters in the past. We were hoping to start up on a small budget hence why we are looking at the typhoon H. My friends is putting up the money for the drone and he now wants to get a Yuneec tornado H920 which is a professional hexacopter.

We were not considering the p4 because it looks too much like a toy.
It's certainly no toy. Have you seen one in person? The build quality is quite impressive.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
If you have the right tool for the job and are able to produce the desired results, does it really matter what the tool looks like?

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
We were under the impression it would be similar quality to the P4 but it really isn't. We were not considering the p4 because it looks too much like a toy.
There is value in what your equipment "looks like" in the customer's eye. msinger is right, it's not a toy, it's a very capable craft that just looks like a toy. To mitigate the "looks dept", when shooting in the field, buy yourself a Go Professional or Microraptor HARD CASE. Although I don't like the weight and bulk of a hard case, for commercial shoots it will demonstrate to the customer that you're serious about video equipment. Believe it or not, this cosmetic trick helps with customer impressions when using Phantom 4. When shooting for fun, I use a Think Tank Helipak backpack for convenience, light weight and long distance hike-ability.

P4 is a great place to start. After you get good at flying (you sound like a novice), and you have flown for 6mos and haven't crashed, then consider an Inspire, assuming your business is thriving by then. That craft can produce silky smoother videos and is more tolerant to wind. It's also better at high speed flying while capturing video, such as chasing cars or motorcycles, etc. The props won't be in the view as much at high speed, vs P4. Also, by then the Inspire 2 will be out.

Please realize, the Inspire is a bigger craft, not exactly convenient, taking longer to setup and break down for storage. But it does look professional, and will produce very nice video. The X5 camera is awesome, nobody else has anything like that in this size of craft, nobody.

I suggest you listen to DroneVibes.com podcasts. There are several of their podcasts that talk about this exact subject. One of the guys in the podcast, Petr, is a professional videographer with his 333 exemption (needed for US commercial work), etc. For most of his jobs he uses Phantom 4 or Inspire (he also has S900 with GH4 camera), and picks the appropriate craft for each job. Each job is priced out differently, depending on the customer's needs and cost goals. When a shooting a commercial for TV, or a wedding, he'll use an Inspire (sometimes S900). For the wedding Inspire is needed because it makes less noise than P4. For the TV commercial the Inspire produces the higher quality with his X5 camera. For real estate, or construction, or indoor shoots, he'll use the Phantom, because they customer doesn't want to pay as much, and the video the Phantom produces is often acceptable. Inspire is too big for most indoor shoots. He'll use prop guards on the Phantom when indoors, just in case, not possible with Inspire.

Both craft use the same GO app, that's a big convenience to have commonality between the two craft. Eventually if you get really good you can look at the new M600, a high end craft from DJI using the same app, it's way more money though. DJI is way ahead of the competition for professional videography, but like anyone in this business, they do have a few warts to contend with.

Last edited:
consider an Inspire, assuming your business is thriving by then. That craft can produce silky smoother videos
FWIW, I cannot tell a difference smoothness-wise between my P4 and Inspire 1.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
FWIW, I cannot tell a difference smoothness-wise between my P4 and Inspire 1.
Maybe it's me, but I think it's more stable, especially in wind. I don't own one, but I've flown them and it just seemed so rock solid.

What about the Inspire's X5? Value is there, right? The low light capability, lens options, pretty nice growth path. When Inspire 2 is released, that's my plan.

Maybe it's me, but I think it's more stable, especially in wind. I don't own one, but I've flown them and it just seemed so rock solid.
You mentioned the video is smoother. If you really meant the aircraft, then I agree the Inspire 1 is more stable in higher winds. That added stability does not improve the smoothness of the video though.

You mentioned the video is smoother. If you really meant the aircraft, then I agree the Inspire 1 is more stable in higher winds. That added stability does not improve the smoothness of the video though.
Agreed, sorta. Distant shots it's not very noticeable in the video, but close ups (within 25' of subject) the stability is noticeable. The yaw rotation of the Inspire also seemed to be more predicable and smooth, versus my P4. I've adjusted my exponentials trying to get the same smoothness doing manual POI shoots (flying sideways with a yaw), but my craft just doesn't seem as smooth and predictable in that respect, compared to Inspire. It's manageable, but not as easy as I recall with Inspire. I'll have to fly my friends Inspire again. It's been a couple months.

BTW, I had a typo :p, it should have been "silky smooth video". Good catch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31