Camera Movement Typhoon H Vs P4 - For Those Who've Used Both

Reaction score
I posted this question over at yuneecpilots but they recommended I come here since the folks here probably have a better idea of how to fly the P4 better.

This question is for those who have used both the Typhoon H and the P4. I was out testing a P4 for the first time today and I had difficulty making nice smooth pan shots. Whether the camera movement was horizontal or vertical I just couldn't get it to smooth out. It would normally go at a speed I don't like then I would have to adjust the pressure of my finger.

This could just be operator incompetence since I am not used to flying drones and my controlling ability is amateurish. However, with the Typhoon H, my pans were a lot smoother. The pan knob obviously allows for consistent speed on horizontal motion but even the rear vertical camera control knob was smooth.

Is there a way to adjust the P4's camera movements to be slower or less sensitive so my picture isn't so jumpy with changing panning speeds? I've read a lot of pros and cons about the P4 vs TH but never heard anyone say that the TH pans smoother or nicer.

I didn't think I'd like the P4 but I am digging it. It's smaller so it's more portable for me on hikes. Also, it actually allows me to fly at and near my house. For those who read my other thread, the TH won't even let me take off at my house. The P4 just tells me I'm in a warning zone and asks if I take responsibility to fly.

However, if my video is going to be jumpy like this or if it requires a long learning curve to get smooth panning shots, I may just wait for the TH to get an updated firmware. Thanks for everyone's help.

Also, here is my first video with the P4. Aside from the poor pan shots, the picture also seems to be jittery. Can anyone let me know what that is or why that is? My fault, the drone, or typical?

Is there a way to adjust the P4's camera movements to be slower or less sensitive so my picture isn't so jumpy with changing panning speeds? I've read a lot of pros and cons about the P4 vs TH but never heard anyone say that the TH pans smoother or nicer.
Yes .. it's called expo (short for exponential) and you can adjust it in the app to reduce the joystick sensitivity for movements close to the centre.
I think there is also a camera tilt speed adjustment in the app too.

Reactions: Sim597
Like meta said. You can go into camera setting too, with a click of one of the buttons near camera icons, not where the expo setting and other setting are, the camera ones are separate, this may be why you haven't seen them

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And, besides this, the camera on the P4 is noticeably better, not just from General post I've seen, but it's actually well documented. I like the H personally, I just don't like a one kilometer range offered, too weak for me who fly's at a mile a few hundred ft off the ground almost everytime I fly I surpass the 1K mark in the first 5 minutes.

42916018ec1f7893c8fb11fbb03e030d.jpg
I use these settings and works a treat. Can't take responsibility for them. Copied of another forum.

I posted this question over at yuneecpilots but they recommended I come here since the folks here probably have a better idea of how to fly the P4 better.

This question is for those who have used both the Typhoon H and the P4. I was out testing a P4 for the first time today and I had difficulty making nice smooth pan shots. Whether the camera movement was horizontal or vertical I just couldn't get it to smooth out. It would normally go at a speed I don't like then I would have to adjust the pressure of my finger.

This could just be operator incompetence since I am not used to flying drones and my controlling ability is amateurish. However, with the Typhoon H, my pans were a lot smoother. The pan knob obviously allows for consistent speed on horizontal motion but even the rear vertical camera control knob was smooth.

I didn't think I'd like the P4 but I am digging it. It's smaller so it's more portable for me on hikes. Also, it actually allows me to fly at and near my house. For those who read my other thread, the TH won't even let me take off at my house. The P4 just tells me I'm in a warning zone and asks if I take responsibility to fly.

However, if my video is going to be jumpy like this or if it requires a long learning curve to get smooth panning shots, I may just wait for the TH to get an updated firmware. Thanks for everyone's help.

Also, here is my first video with the P4. Aside from the poor pan shots, the picture also seems to be jittery. Can anyone let me know what that is or why that is? My fault, the drone, or typical?

Just change the expo settings to your liking. Most of DJIs factory settings need some tweaking but you can do it in app or with the assistant and it's a quote nice graphical interface that shows you the movement on the screen while moving the sticks..

I do own both and enjoyed the H for about a minute until the novelty wore off and then I saw the images which look like a 2012 GoPdo. I like flying the H but the video is horrific.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Thanks for all the input! I'll give it a try tomorrow when I get the drone up again.

Aside from the panning issue, can anyone see what i'm talking about when the video seems to be jittering/shaking? That's not from drone movement. It might be that "jello" thing I hear people saying. Not really sure what jello is but i'm guessing. Is there a way to prevent this?

That jitter when panning definitely isn't normal. It could be an out of balance prop, but I think you'd be seeing a bit of jello even when not panning.. Have you done an IMU and Gimbal calibration?

Thanks for all the responses. Haven't gotten a chance to fly it again yet. I didn't know the props had to be balanced. But it being out of balance sounds about right. I bumped the P4 into a chair and one of the props cut the fabric. I guess that impact might have done it. Can the prop be fixed? Or do i just throw it out?

I use these settings and works a treat. Can't take responsibility for them. Copied of another forum.

I tried these settings and it didn't make any difference for me.
Maybe it is because there are 3 configurations. How do I set the active configuration?

Haha, those are my settings. Glad you like them! I got banned from DJI's forum for making DJI-Ken mad (I said he was "grasping at straws" when he said the ground was slanted and the P4 camera was level on a video that clearly shows the P4 with bad horizon tilt. Then my posts got erased (but still show up on mobile). Silly DJI...

Reactions: Andy P

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik